TR4A Remote Servo upgrade

Hi Guys,

Thinking of upgrading the braking system with a Brake Servo on my 4A. I know this subject has been a discussion point on the Forum in the past but updates on views is always helpful.

As the braking system is basically the same as my TR6, I think I might miss one on the 4A. The question is what is the best source of a servo/kit.

TR Shop do a kit, not sure of its source, probably the far east? Several suppliers on e-bay offer Servo upgrades for different classic cars which appear to be based on Lockheed/Girling Servo's. 

Making a bracket to mount the Servo would not be a problem for me if it was just buying the Servo. Possibly a MGB remote Servo would do?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rich

Hi Rich

I fitted a genuine lockheed servo to my 4a last year manage to pick one up at a very reasonable price as genuine ones are pricey. Don't bother with

cheap kits you get what you pay for, in my opinion worth having one fitted.     

Chris 

Always go for the better option as the cheap servos are problematical and often dont last long . so this one rather than the £97 cheap version Servo.

Stuart.

Hi Rich, +1 for the better servo as suggested by Stuart, also what brake pads are you using, I have a servo on my 4A but didn't appreciate how good the brakes could be  until I fitted the Hawke brake pads, not cheap but a vast improvement. 

Hawke part no HB169F.560

Chris

2 hours ago, ChrisR-4A said:

Hi Rich, +1 for the better servo as suggested by Stuart, also what brake pads are you using, I have a servo on my 4A but didn't appreciate how good the brakes could be  until I fitted the Hawke brake pads, not cheap but a vast improvement. 

Hawke part no HB169F.560

Chris

+1 for better pads before changing anything else. Standard pads might as well be made out of cardboard... severe fade > overheated disks > boiled fluid. Using decent pads (good old Mintex 1144 in my case) pretty much solves all those problems unless you're on a track.

Then add a servo if you want lower pedal pressure.

Nigel

The link Stuart posted is for the Powertune kit that Moss sell.

You can get the same one on Ebay for for approx £60 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Powertune-Remote-Brake-Servo-LE72696Brake-Booster-1-9-for-Triumph-TR3-TR4-4A-GT6/401829807699?hash=item5d8eec4653:g:xNcAAOSwfhNcpX~J

Not sure if he meant to post a link to a genuine  Girling one?

I would also repeat what has been said about decent pads. Hawke are very good as are Mintex 1144s. The former are a little more fade resistant but the latter have greater bite from cold. Both are a country mile head of regular pads and Gree****f which in my experience were as effective as wood and cannot be considered an upgrade.

39 minutes ago, Andy Moltu said:

The link Stuart posted is for the Powertune kit that Moss sell.

You can get the same one on Ebay for for approx £60 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Powertune-Remote-Brake-Servo-LE72696Brake-Booster-1-9-for-Triumph-TR3-TR4-4A-GT6/401829807699?hash=item5d8eec4653:g:xNcAAOSwfhNcpX~J

Not sure if he meant to post a link to a genuine  Girling one?

I would also repeat what has been said about decent pads. Hawke are very good as are Mintex 1144s. The former are a little more fade resistant but the latter have greater bite from cold. Both are a country mile head of regular pads and Gree****f which in my experience were as effective as wood and cannot be considered an upgrade.

No thats the link for the genuine Lockheed one if you check the page properly. Servo thats why I posted it, I know you can get Powertune ones for peanuts all over the place hence why I linked to the better version.

Stuart.

Yes, Stuart is right - get the Lockheed branded version at the higher price.

I had a Powertune version fitted to my TR2 and it was hopeless - it either didn’t work or came in very suddenly and had a tendency to stick on so that the brakes were locked on and could only be released by stamping on the pedal a few times. Quite dangerous. I had it replaced with a Lockheed servo and it’s been perfect ever since, in fact feels almost too close to a modern car !

Money well spent - you’ll appreciate the quality long after you have forgotten the price.

Chris

4 hours ago, stuart said:

No thats the link for the genuine Lockheed one if you check the page properly. Servo thats why I posted it, I know you can get Powertune ones for peanuts all over the place hence why I linked to the better version.

Stuart.

Apologies if it is the genuine one  -  I followed the link and in the specs it states "unbranded" only close inspection of one of the images indicates Lockheed on the hydraulic cylinder.
Before shelling out on it I would want to check that it really is a genuine Lockheed rather than a cheap repro. I wondered if the vendor had updated it after Stuart's post. (Sooner pay £60 quid for a cheap repro than £200 for a cheap repro)

Hi Guys,

Been looking around to see if there are any genuine Lockheed options out there.

Just for reference what is the recommended diameter required, 5.5 x 1.9 boost?

Rich

I think a few of the vendors sell the Lockheed one but there may be supply issues - there certainly was a few months ago which is why I ended up fitting a Powertune one from Ebay. So far so good.

I'm not sure that fitting the TR6 one would be so easy

• 1 year later...

I realise this post was started in 2020 but hope I can still get input.  I am in the process in doing a body off restoration of a 4A and am also considering adding a break servo. Where can I get more info on the lockheed servo. Like one of the participants in the discussion, the link provided by Stuart takes you to the Moss website listing an unbranded servo. I can’t see any reference to Lockheed. 

I don’t know much about servo’s so excuse my ignorance. Is the Lockheed servo still made, and if so what is a good source. Are there different models. I am located in the us so availability might be different over here.

Thanks,

Richard

7 hours ago, Scotsman said:

I realise this post was started in 2020 but hope I can still get input.  I am in the process in doing a body off restoration of a 4A and am also considering adding a break servo. Where can I get more info on the lockheed servo. Like one of the participants in the discussion, the link provided by Stuart takes you to the Moss website listing an unbranded servo. I can’t see any reference to Lockheed. 

I don’t know much about servo’s so excuse my ignorance. Is the Lockheed servo still made, and if so what is a good source. Are there different models. I am located in the us so availability might be different over here.

Thanks,

Richard

It does seem as if Moss have changed that listing and it does look unbranded now. As your in the US i would look at  Moss US and see what they offer

Stuart.

36 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi Richard,

As well as Moss US, as Stuart stated, have a look at TRF. 

Roger

I did have a quick look at TRF but they dont seem to do them. You could perhaps try Rock Auto as well.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart