Wire Wheels & Wheel Dollies.

Due to constraints in parking my 3A, I am considering using hydraulic dollies (ones that have two rollers that compress on the bottom of the tyre). They (2No) will operate on the front wheels. Front tyre pressure 26 psi.  I have three queries :

1. As the car is running on wire wheels (MWS 60 spoke) with the sideways 'push' and approx. 45-75 degrees turn are the push sideways' loadings (assuming gentle pressure on the wing area) on the wire wheels likely to put the wire wheels out of 'true'. I understood the design of w/w was in the vertical rotation not in the sideways loading.

2. Is the roller compression on the tyres likely to damage them (e.g. the walls)

3. Where is the best place to 'push' on the front wing area/ pull direct on one of the dolly - the other following the direction of 'pull (has handles),

I would appreciate advise from anyone who has experience of these (or other)wheel dollies.

Thanks

I use dollies on my TR3. I've got 5 cars in a 3 car garage most of the time and dollies are the only way to do that. The car sits on dollies pretty much all the time. My dollies are not hydraulic so it's a bit of a pain to jack the car up and down each time I drive it or store it. The advantage of the hydraulic one is that you don't need to find a way to jack the car in tight quarters so I do plan to get one set in the near future. Another advantage is that you can let the car down onto the tires if it will be stored for any lenght of time.

Although it helps to have two people, you can move the car in any direction with very little force. Sometimes it takes a bit of extra force to start it moving if the dollie wheels are not in the proper direction but that is only a minor inconvenience and you'll get the technique worked out easily. I would not worry a bit about the wheels ant tires.

Since I am in such tight quarters, I push the car from anywhere that's convenient. If the dolly wheels need to turn around I do try to push on tires or bumpers but I have pushed on both the front and rear wings without issues.

Tom

I move my TR3a around on hydraulic dollies all the time in my garage. I always push from the wheel, as I would not feel happy pressing against a wing.  -  I change the wheels regularly, as I have both wires and steel rims, but have not experienced any issues with the wires (nor would I expect any issues).

All of this does depend on how smooth your garage floor is, My workshop floor is power floated so nice and smooth and due to the shape of the workshop I use the dollies regularly to move things around but the other four units only have tamped concrete floors so no where near as easy to move things. You wont ever bend a wire wheel even a 48 spoke by pushing the car around unless the spokes are very rusty indeed in which case they should only be holding it off the floor and certainly not for driving on!

Stuart.