Petrol Smell in the Boot

I like the smell of petrol and the fact that we can turn it in to a beautiful noise however I have noticed a strong smell of petrol in the boot of my car. No petrol smell around the engine. I had a TR6 PI previously that also had a strong smell and a friend of mine also has a 6 with a strong smell so I never thought to investigate fully however I 'think' I have started to notice it more now. I also notice it a little when driving the car now, actually not entirely sure whether I could smell this before or not - but since my wife mentioned it I am certainly thinking about it more.

I have aired the boot outside and then returned with a fresh nose to see if I can locate the source of this by smell alone. Nothing strikes me as being the source of the leak and for sure nothing is wet/damp to the touch so whatever it is, it must be a small leak.. Is there any way of finding the source other than coating everything in talcum powder? The tank is looking fairly old and using the original fuel pump so perhaps now is the time to change this for a new Bosch pump and aluminium tank..?

In contrast, my TR4 has no smell in the boot whatsoever. the only difference I guess is the fuel pump/filter..?

Do all the other 5's out there have a strong petrol smell in the boot?

Thanks,

/Andrew

Mine is a TR6 but the fuel system is similar, I spent what felt like years trying to eliminate a petrol smell in the boot. It turned out to be the short length of flexible that connects the MU return to the pipe into the tank, there was never any wet trace.

The pipe section changes from 1/4 to 3/16 at that point, hidden on top of the tank left of the filler.

Good luck,  Mike.

Hi Andrew, if you do a search on this forum you will find lots and lots of queries and things to check regarding petrol smell in the boot. It is not specific to our TR5's. Mine turned out to be a hole in the rear of the tank caused by a weld being pulled free to a baffle inside.

Happy hunting

Paul

Andrew,

their are various options and people have different opinions.

If you have an original tank and pump

I think it is easier to change the tank, pump and pipework at the same time.

I moved the PRV from the chassis into the car by the tank.

Use pipework suitable for modern ethanol petrol where you can.

Peter

Dusting the pipes and connections with talcum powder will show up the very slightest leak.

Stuart.

I've just done new pipework to the PI system, removed the CAV filter and added a new PRV return to the top of the tank.

Had to have the tank out to weld in a new fitting, and also changed the fibre washer on the drain plug which wasn't really as tight as I thought it should have been, no petrol smell now just the paint on the tank!  Its difficult to see or get at, easier to take the tank out.

John

Petrol can permeate through the wall of rubber hose, even without an overt leak, and cause that petrol smell.     This gets worse with old hose and with the new petrol.    Alcohol resistant hose may help, but the only complete answer is the Teflon lined, braided outer hose.     It'll keep your nose clean, but your wallet as well.

Thanks to all for the comments. I'll put up with it for summer and buy new hoses, probably the teflon lined ones and add to my projects for the long Swedish winter..! On a slightly different subject I experienced for the first time the famous cut out during a left hand corner yesterday (had less than 1/4 tank) so as I will take the tank out in the winter I may as well change it for one with the necessary baffles! There's no foreign travel in the summer to spend my money on anyway... 

Good Morning Andrew,  the previous owner of my TR5 had the petrol smell in the boot as I have a bill from a classic Garage investigating it,  they couldn't find the problem. I still have the petrol smell only in the boot, sometimes worse than others !  No leaks as such but possibly the permeating pipework syndrome !

I also have the going round the left hand bend scenario of the cutting out, I too must have an Original Tank without the baffles. This doesn't bother me at all,  and to solve the problem all we have to do is fill up with Fuel  !!

Happy Days, 

Conrad.

On 6/2/2020 at 9:23 AM, openroad said:

Good Morning Andrew,  the previous owner of my TR5 had the petrol smell in the boot as I have a bill from a classic Garage investigating it,  they couldn't find the problem. I still have the petrol smell only in the boot, sometimes worse than others !  No leaks as such but possibly the permeating pipework syndrome !

I also have the going round the left hand bend scenario of the cutting out, I too must have an Original Tank without the baffles. This doesn't bother me at all,  and to solve the problem all we have to do is fill up with Fuel  !!

Happy Days, 

Conrad.

Quite right - until my wife mentioned it I hadn't even thought about it actually as my previous TR6 always smelled the same way. I filled up yesterday and strangely the smell seemed to be reduced although I am purely relying on my nose. The neighbours must be wondering what I'm doing, contorting my body into all sorts of shapes in the boot trying to locate the smell...

The Neighbours always need keeping on their toes, mine isn't interested in cars, and is baffled when I park up in different cars, depending on the weather etc !!

If I find out where the Petrol smell is coming from, I will pass the information on .

Stay safe,  

Conrad.

Hi eandbee,

I have owned my TR5 since last August. I have noticed quite a strong petrol in the boot. The previous owner had the car for two years and did little with it. However, I made contact with the owner before him who did quite a lot of work on the car. He mentioned the petrol smell (before I had noticed it) and had done quite a lot of work to find the source. He replaced the short piece of pipe that runs from the petrol filler cap to the tank and also the gasket on the tank level sender. This had no effect. He asked other TR5 owners he met at events if they had the problem and concluded that it was not uncommon. He held a theory that it could be the ethanol that is in modern petrol leaching through the hoses. This is something I need to look into and will be very interested to hear if changing to teflon lined hoses solves the problem.

Regards,

Denis