Advice re Minilite type alloys.

Guest ron

I know this subject has been flogged to death, but I'm feeling a bit flush and fancy a set of Minilite type alloys, 5.5J X 15" I got a bit bogged down in the archives so a couple of questions if anyone can help.

No 1, there seems to be quite a variation in price between various suppliers, I don't necessarily want the cheapest but who offers the best value, and do they fit without spacers etc.

No 2, does anyone supply locking wheel nuts for them, where I live they're a bit of a necessity :unsure:

Ron

Edited by ron

Ron, I bought a set of KN minilites from midland wheel supplies, I think they are about £ 80 each. They are usually at stoneleigh and I think Malvern tel 01926 817444 www.midlandwheels.com

I did need to fit 6mm spacers on the front wheels

I am sure they can supply locking wheel nuts to suit.

:D

Ron

I got 5 ½ J KN's from TRGB about 3 years ago; they were nothing like £89 each though! I’d have to check receipts to be sure but I think I got the 4 for jus under £200! Nice looking wheels but mine fouled on the front wishbone on full lock reverse; I filed a curved edge on the wishbone arms & they now clear without spacers.

The only ones with the correct offset as far as I know are true Minilites which are still available (now in aluminum as opposed to the original magnesium allow) but they are a lot more expensive. Gave up on the locking wheel nuts as nobody seemed to be able to supply the right ones.

Edited by Richard CRawley

Ron, I realise it's not the question you asked but isn't 5.5J a little on the small size for a TR6?

All depends on your tyre choice of course, but 6J seems to me more fitting.

There is a good tyre/wheel calculator on http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html if you need to check out your chosen size.

Ron, I realise it's not the question you asked but isn't 5.5J a little on the small size for a TR6?

All depends on your tyre choice of course, but 6J seems to me more fitting.

There is a good tyre/wheel calculator on http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html if you need to check out your chosen size.

I now wish I had bought 6J's but certainly wouldn't go any wider; too late now! As far as I know they have the same offset so should not be any worse for fouling.

Thanks for the replies, I have KNs fitted to my MGB but didn't fancy them for the TR as anything I picked up from the archives suggested they needed spacers which I wasn't too keen on, although if they fit as Richard says with a slight mod to the wishbone I could live with that.

Jerry I picked 5.5" because I thought the standard wheels were 5.5"?? if the standard wheels are 6" I'll go for that, can anyone confirm??

I'll try an experiment with the MGs wheel [15x5.5"] and see if it fits the front as they are the same stud PCD, and I wouldn't be surprised if they're cheaper from MG suppliers although the wheelnuts are a different thread unfortunately which probably negates any price advantage :(

Ron

Ron,

There is a dutch internet auction site www.marktplaats.nl which at the moment under "triumph" has two auctions for original Minilite wheels:

one for used Minilites, including the wheelnutsnuts, for 350 euro :

TE KOOP.

4 ORGINELE EN IN GOEDE STAAT VERKERENDE MINILITE VELGEN

VOOR DE TRIUMPH TR 4-4a-250-5-6.

MET WIELMOEREN.

PRIJS IS 350 EURO

and one auction for new Minilites, including wheel caps and nuts for 525 euro in 51/2 J and 600 euro in 6 J:

TE KOOP.

NW. MINILITE WIELEN 6JX15 VOOR TRIUMPH TR.

COMPLEET MET MIDDEN CAPS EN WIELMOEREN.

VOOR DE PRIJS VAN 600 EURO INCL.

OOK TE LEVEREN IN DE ORG.MAAT 5.5 J X 15.

VOOR DE PRIJS VAN 525 EURO INCL.

Hope this is of use to you.

Kind regards,

Tim

Jerry I picked 5.5" because I thought the standard wheels were 5.5"?? if the standard wheels are 6" I'll go for that, can anyone confirm??

The originals are 5 1/2J but the extra little bit of width on the 6J's looks better & they sit more comfortably with 195 or 205 section tyres; as I said, I'm sure the offset is the same so should not give any more problems with fouling than the 5 1/2J's.

I managed to get mine to clear the front wishbone arms but can't guarantee your car will be the same (although I don’t see why not!); I did not want to fit spacers. I’ve head that they can foul on some rear tele conversions as well but mine were OK.

Hi Richard

I took your advice and bought 6" wide rims, the supplier assures me they fit without spacers, time will tell.

Not much joy with locking wheelnuts though, will try make one myself, even if it's only a bluff.

Ron

Hi Simon

That's where I got them, thanks for the pointer, not bad for an MG dealer :lol: over £100 cheaper than all the Triumph dealers I tried.

Ron

Edited by ron
not bad for an MG dealer :lol:

I wasn't going to tell anyone they were MG dealers, we might get hounded out of the club :rolleyes:

Seriously, it's nice to see that MG's are catered for in the same way as TR's, you can pretty much get any part you want I think.

Simon

Simon

Sorry to report this on here, but MGs are much better catered for than Triumphs, more dealers therefore more competetive prices. Unfortunatly MGs and TRs share surprisingly few common parts, but anything you can do a direct comparison on is usually at least 10% cheaper from an MG supplier.

Ron

I'm assuming Watford Classics are making a profit selling the wheels at less than £300 a set, Rimmer, Moss etc were all over £400 a set, in fact some were nearly £500, even TRGB were pricey, someone's making a good profit at our expense :angry: wonder what the mark up is on the rest of the stuff the sell us?

Ron