Gearbox conumdrum

Hi All

Hoped to cure or at sort out what was causing my simple rev light on issue, see my reply to the original post by Garry.

The car is not on the road, 1 as its not ready yet and 2 it has not brake of clutch fluid so those kind of important things do not work, althought it runs ok, so I’m trying to get all the niggy things done (like Rev lights) before fitting the int and driving away.

Anyway in my investiagetion for that and testing the switch in various positions I was putting the car in and out of reverse, (engine not running) not that often but a few times.

But it now appears to be stuck in reverse and try as I might I cannot free it up. Don’t want to force the gear lever to much, I’ve tried rocking and moving it back and forth and no joy. GB is a rebuilt original and was fine as far as I could tell not having run it.

Took a pic of the selectors, just to confirm it is reverse I’ve got it in but any ideas how I can get thing back to normal.

Is a selector stuck and does ther top need coming off or is it a GB out?

Any suggestions welcome

Cheers  Keith

GB Selectors.jpg

Hi Keith 

I had something like this two years ago.

I removed the GB top cover  to try to sort an oil leak. This involved removing the three selector rods.

There is an interlock to stop more than one rod being operated at any one time.

For some unknown reason I reassembled the rods without the roller   item#44  https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/clutch-transmission-drivetrain/gearboxes-components/external-gearbox-tr2-4a-1953-67.html

The car was driven for a week or more like this before it locked up.

Roger

3 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Keith 

I had something like this two years ago.

I removed the GB top cover  to try to sort an oil leak. This involved removing the three selector rods.

There is an interlock to stop more than one rod being operated at any one time.

For some unknown reason I reassembled the rods without the roller   item#44  https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/clutch-transmission-drivetrain/gearboxes-components/external-gearbox-tr2-4a-1953-67.html

The car was driven for a week or more like this before it locked up.

Roger

Agree with Roger, best to take top cover off. You might then be able to disengage the reverse gear idler with a pry bar or something similar ? Unless you have two gears selected at once somehow? We used to select two gears at once on Minis to tighten up the final drive nut,  but not sure if it’s possible on Triumphs. Top off should reveal all!

Kevin

Have you tried rocking and moving the car or just the gear lever? It might free up with  some torque reversals on the output shaft.

I agree with Roger, I'd take the top off while you have the tunnel out and confirm the selectors are working correctly.