RAC Vehicle Recovery TR6

Hello All,

Has anyone had any experience of being towed home by an RAC van that is equipped with the towing dolly / cradle.  My understanding is that they can only use these on certain cars, depending on the measurement from the front wheel centreline to the front of the bumper.

Thanks in advance.

Marl. 

Mark

I had RAC cover for years then last year we had to use it for the 1st time, a chap in a van turned up within half an hour and admitted that he didn't have a clue on why a TR3 would stop but wanted to see the car.

Two hours later the recovery truck turned up and took us to a motorway service station that was about 15 miles from home, on the way the driver told us the next truck would be waiting for us! Surprise surprise no truck waiting we were unloaded and left in the car park then the 1st recovery truck parked opposite us and waited for his next call, I tried crossing his palm with silver to take us the last 15 miles but "it is outside my area mate" so we all waited after an hour the 1st truck left so we phoned the RAC to see see where the 2nd truck was "it's on the way wont be long"

6 hours later and several phone calls we gave up and phoned my son, he borrowed a trailer and picked us up. We could have walked home quicker then the RAC get you home service. When I phoned the RAC the next day we received  a lot of sympathetic corporate bovine excrement, needless to say that when the time came for renewal the RAC didn't get the job.

George 

Thanks both for the replies.

I have converted my TR6 back to Pi and need to take it out on it's first (very local) run. It has a front spoiler fitted, so has no access to hook up a winch line to tow it up onto a trailer, hence the question as to whether a TR6 can be recovered by an RAC van that has the hydraulic towing cradle / dolly.

cheers.

Mark.

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2020 at 2:43 PM, iani said:

Hi Mark

I broke down on the M62 a couple of years ago. I called the RAC and they turned up within 20 minutes. The guy removed the front spoiler towed me to a service station, fixed the problem, refitted the spoiler and sent me on my way. Excellent service on all accounts.

Hi Dex,

Thanks for your reply.

You've convinced me to remove the spoiler before I venture out.

When you were towed to the service station, was it a tow rope, or solid (articulated) steel bar ?

Thanks.

Mark

If my experience is anything to go by it's not just the front of the car that you need to think about. I broke down on the A1M in my TR4 last November it was the exhaust pipe which stopped the AA man from lifting the car. He felt it was likely to ground when he towed it, so they sent a truck with a demountable flat bed.

Dave

5 minutes ago, DaveB66 said:

Mark

If my experience is anything to go by it's not just the front of the car that you need to think about. I broke down on the A1M in my TR4 last November it was the exhaust pipe which stopped the AA man from lifting the car. He felt it was likely to ground when he towed it, so they sent a truck with a demountable flat bed.

Dave

Thanks for that Dave.

Re dismountable flatbeds, only the sort that comes right off was able to recover me, the 1st one which only tipped resulted in the exhaust pipes catching on the road.  Neither the driver nor I was going to risk them being damaged.  The driver managed to get the strap under the spoiler & far enough down not to damage it.

Edited by duncan
On 5/31/2020 at 5:35 AM, Mark Ogram said:

I have converted my TR6 back to Pi and need to take it out on it's first (very local) run. It has a front spoiler fitted, so has no access to hook up a winch line to tow it up onto a trailer, hence the question as to whether a TR6 can be recovered by an RAC van that has the hydraulic towing cradle / dolly.

cheers.

Mark.

Mine has the CR spoiler.  Been up on flat beds a few times w zero problems, wheelbarrow exhausts and all...

The inadvisability of lifting dollies has been discussed on 'small chassis' Triumph boards.      There it is pointed out that the gearbox is splash lubricated throughout, and if the car is towed for any distance with the front elevated,  the output shaft will be driven and gears and bearings to the front of the gear box may run dry.      This will be true of the TR6 gearbox too, I believe.

How far a tow is 'safe', I have no idea.

3 hours ago, john.r.davies said:

The inadvisability of lifting dollies has been discussed on 'small chassis' Triumph boards.      There it is pointed out that the gearbox is splash lubricated throughout, and if the car is towed for any distance with the front elevated,  the output shaft will be driven and gears and bearings to the front of the gear box may run dry.      This will be true of the TR6 gearbox too, I believe.

How far a tow is 'safe', I have no idea.

Yes, I had read this. Pretty sure you would be ok for a 2 mile tow though.

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2020 at 6:35 PM, Mark Ogram said:

cheers.

Mark.

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2020 at 9:07 PM, Mark Ogram said:

Hi Dex,

Thanks for your reply.

You've convinced me to remove the spoiler before I venture out.

When you were towed to the service station, was it a tow rope, or solid (articulated) steel bar ?

Thanks.

Hi Mark.

If my memory serves me right it was a solid bar type.

Dex