Gentlemen,

The last couple of times I have started the car when I turned the ignition key it generally would activate the starter motor, one of the new types. But on occasions nothing happened. I thought that the ignition switch was faulty. Today I wanted to fit a replacement fuel pump, a Dave Davis restored one. So thought I would be clever and try and start the car by using the button on the solenoid. I never use the handbrake when the car is in the garage always leave it in gear. When I pressed the solenoid button the car jumped forward ( car was still in gear) , I thought I saw out of the corner of my eye a spark down in the starter area. I took the car out of gear and pressed the solenoid button again, the starter motor did not turn over but made a click noise. Tried again, same result. Tried using the ignition key, same result.

So my question is have I knackered the starter motor, or the solenoid or is the starter cog jammed in the starter ring? The engine will still turn over by yanking on the fan blades so it may not be the latter.

Your advice is requested please.

Thanks

Graham

Hi graham,

When did you fit the "modern" starter motor?

I read somewhere that these are prone to ingress of water and storage theirin due to lack of a drainage hole wen fitted in our position i.e TR engine..

If my memory serves the solenoid sits on top and somehow water gets in the top and has no escape,

I suggest that you remove the starter motor and strip the offending item and drill a drain hole if not present or blocked. I.e between the solenoid and the starter body. That way you may save it from burnout.

This subject was covered on here and has been over time.

Do a Google search and you should find something on the matter.

Rod

Edited by Rodbr

It's a non-standard part, so difficult to guess what's happened.

Is your battery confirmed good?

Modern starters burn solenoid contacts more easily... Only happens when you try to start on a bad battery.

If your starter looks like this one take the end plate off the solenoid housing, (that is the bit with the battery cable connection not the round part)

Remove the car battery terminals first.

Pull out the plunger and clean the contact disc and contact terminals and refit.  I have experienced the issue of dirty/corroded contacts on these units and that simple clean up with a fine emery or wet'n'dry fixed it.

Refit car battery terminals.

Test

Cheers

Peter W

image.png

That flash was a bad connection, remove and clean the battery cable, refit and it`ll probably be fine.

Stuart.

1 hour ago, stuart said:

That flash was a bad connection, remove and clean the battery cable, refit and it`ll probably be fine.

Stuart.

Or fit a good OEM starter before it goes into complete meltdown at some point . Not a fan of these starters.

Kevin

Stuart,

Thanks for the advice, absolutely spot on. Disconnected the starter end of the battery cable, liberal spraying of contact cleaner, clean end of battery cable with abrasive paper, applied Copper Slip to terminal post, reconnected battery cable, did the same to the push button solenoid end of the battery cable. Sat in the car with fingers crossed, choke out, turned the ignition key and Bingo, the car started. Great relief.

Thanks again Stuart for the diagnosis. Now on to replacing the fuel pump.

This forum and its members are great.

Graham

Edited by Grahamgl