Break all the way down / sometimes it sticks while driving

When the brake is pressed (first time when I start the car) it goes all the way down. Pushing the second time it brakes as it should. Does anyone know why this is? Should he build up pressure?

Rear brake shoes have recently been replaced. A servo was also mounted last year. The brake also dares to "stick" while driving. If I give a tap then this is already solved. Is there something wrong with the headcilinder? Or something else? Thanks for the info :) 

Jo

When you park do you reverse into your parking spot? If so you may have slack front wheel bearings that allows the brake rotors to push the pads back, then when you first brake you are pushing the pads back into contact with the rotor before you get any braking effects making the pedal travel very long.

This is a common problem/feature on TRs

George

Jo,

Have you re adjusted the rear brake shoes since fitting?  This may be part of the problem.

Sit in the car with the engine running and pump  the brake pedal with your foot to get it firm, & keep pressing.  Does the pedal keep moving away from you?  If so suspect the brake master cylinder or 'head cylinder' as you have called it.

Has the car lost brake fluid or does the level continue to drop without obvious or visible leaks?  Could be the servo seals leaking and the engine sucking the fluid away.

Peter W

PS if you have refilled the brake fluid did you use the correct specification/type of fluid for what is in the car.  Mixing Dot4 with silicon (SBF)  causes the seals to swell and stick.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
9 hours ago, Jo Neyskens said:

The brake also dares to "stick" while driving. If I give a tap then this is already solved

That is a common brake servo fault...the air valve is stuck open a little.

HI Jo, +1 for brake servo, has this only happened since you fitted the servo, or when did it start. Out of interest which servo did you fit, there is a genuine one avail and a cheaper replica. The sticking problems are usually associated with serves like those on Ford  Cortinas.

Chris

Jo, you say the servo was fitted last year - I wondered if that was by you or by previous owner? If it was by you, I assume that's because you wanted the benefit of reduced pedal pressure. But if not  it's worth asking yourself the question of whether you want/need a servo at all. There are mixed views on this, but like a lot of people I am very happy with my TR4's braking performance without a servo (it had one when I first got the car but I removed it).

Nigel

The cheap servos dont last very long at all, Ive had to replace quite a few for just this problem.

Stuart.

On 5/30/2020 at 6:22 PM, harlequin said:

Jo

When you park do you reverse into your parking spot? If so you may have slack front wheel bearings that allows the brake rotors to push the pads back, then when you first brake you are pushing the pads back into contact with the rotor before you get any braking effects making the pedal travel very long.

This is a common problem/feature on TRs

George

Thanks for the info

On 5/30/2020 at 6:41 PM, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Jo,

Have you re adjusted the rear brake shoes since fitting?  This may be part of the problem.

Sit in the car with the engine running and pump  the brake pedal with your foot to get it firm, & keep pressing.  Does the pedal keep moving away from you?  If so suspect the brake master cylinder or 'head cylinder' as you have called it.

Has the car lost brake fluid or does the level continue to drop without obvious or visible leaks?  Could be the servo seals leaking and the engine sucking the fluid away.

Peter W

PS if you have refilled the brake fluid did you use the correct specification/type of fluid for what is in the car.  Mixing Dot4 with silicon (SBF)  causes the seals to swell and stick.

Hi Peter, not since fitting in august 2019. Indeed maby that's the problem. 

I will check the other things .

Thanks!!  

On 5/31/2020 at 11:10 AM, ChrisR-4A said:

HI Jo, +1 for brake servo, has this only happened since you fitted the servo, or when did it start. Out of interest which servo did you fit, there is a genuine one avail and a cheaper replica. The sticking problems are usually associated with serves like those on Ford  Cortinas.

Chris

I will check it. Gz