tips for undersea removal????????????

Plenty of undersea on the wings and tar from the road too. In the past I used a firm in Preston who removed rust and everything else in their oven and did a grand job. Sadly their prices have

gone so far out of reach for me.  I did ask a local garage proprietor for advice the other day and he swore WD40 would soften itv so easily. He was wrong. I could try a nlowlamp carefully but am scared that I might distort the panels.

P1070941.JPG

P1070942.JPG

P1070943.JPG

Edited by pfenlon
forgot the pics

Pete, a couple of months back I spent a whole day removing thick underseal like this from a front wheel arch to reveal pristine white paintwork put on by the factory back in 1965!! ... so I came to the conclusion that if it's been there for 55 years, why on earth take it off now!!, ....... yes of course tackle any obvious rust areas locally, but if it's that difficult to get off then it's best left where it is!!

cheers Rob 

I'd try a hot air gun Pete. It works better if you can heat the panel from the other side, so you soften the layer that's stuck to the panel, then you can lift the underseal off in larger chunks.

Pete

Pete - if it's hard and brittle, I found the easiest way was to chip it off with a strongish 1" wide flat scraper, having just rounded the corners a tiny bit to stop them digging in to the underlying metal and then use a stabbing/jabbing motion, each time trying the get the scraper edge to get under the leading edge of the underseal when it will just flick off, leaving the origianal paint finish - if its gone rusty underneath, it it just lift off once you got underneath the layer.

I couldn't get on with heating it up as I just ended up in a gooey mess leaving remnants of underseal spread all over - it will definitely work and soften the underseal but then you still have to get it off the panel - however each to his own!

Cheers Rich

The whole of my car was undersealed from new. Used various paint scrapers with the sharp bits removed and a hot air gun. It came off in 'sheets'. Very satisfying and not messy or time consuming really. Small amount of residue left was wiped off with 'glue and tar remover'. Paintwork was generally pristine but you don't know until you remove it!!!!

Enjoy,

Tim

Edited by Tim T
Speller

I did as above. Most appeared to be in good condition but I found the corrosion was very localised. Glad I removed all of it and then had it grit blasted and primed. Makes work on the car so much easier.
Waldi

Hi Pete

Unfortunately there is no one tool to deal with removing old underseal from my experience.  I have been working through this horrible job over two winters and have still not finished although I have taken it at a  leisurely pace. I have found if the underseal is really old and dryed out a selection of old  wood chisels can scrape it of  quickly followed up with a rotary wire brush on the end of a drill with white spirit liberally brushed on wiil remove the remaining underseal.  More recent underseal is best removed with a heat gun and stiff scraper followed up by white spirit and rotary wire brush and drill.  For removing paint/rust and any remaining underseal various wire wheels and nylon abrasive wheels either on a drill or angle grinder work really well. Good luck you will get a lot of satisfaction when you are finished.

regards

Roger

I used a multi tool with the scraper attachment and a hot air gun, removed the original sound damping pads with ease.

Picture shows saw att, scraper is like a hand one only attaches to tool. 

Chris

2C3696BF-CB78-4955-9BFC-AF141B4565B0-large.jpg

Edited by ChrisR-4A

If we are talking tools, the the answer is a CrudThug.

image.png.77f73aa484f027c723ad7f8b9ea46693.png

https://shop.snapon.com/product/Remove-All-Tool/Crud-Thug-Removal-Air-Tool/PTGR280

As shown it's a SnapOn device, and air powered as well, so demands a large investment to use one.    But the technology, of loosely fastened wires that swivel on their base as that spins, hasn't been patented and there are several alternatives:   

Dynabrade Nitrozip [ Sic!]   https://www17.dynabrade.com/pdf/D19-01_AACatalog.pdf

Eastwood Rotary removal tool https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-pneumatic-rotary-removal-tool.html

Wurth Pneumatic sander, with brush belt: https://eshop.wurth.co.uk/Product-categories/Pneumatic-brush-grinder-DBS-3500/31085002090101.cyid/3108.cgid/en/GB/GBP/

Etc.    None are cheap, but for a big job like removing all the old underseal, could shorten the time form - was it two years above? - to a few days.

Edited by john.r.davies

I can see that would do it John, but it would create a hell of a mess. The vibrating scraper with a heat gun will remove plate sized pieces with very little mess .

Chris