reconditioned lucas pump

I recently fit a reconditioned lucas pump to my 1973 PI. The old one was ok but in my wisdom I decided to give the car a treat. Since fitting the pump the car is bad to start when stood for a while eg overnight, once started it runs ok and starts for the rest of the day. Before fitting it started well. Any advice would be useful.

Phil,

I also fitted a re-con Lucas pump from a reputable supplier a few years back and it was so poor it had to come straight off the car again and went back to them.

It does sound like you are losing pressure at the injectors overnight. IF this is the case, where its losing the pressure from is the important question. Have you tried ignition on for 30secs to re-pressurise everything before trying to start up?  If it starts better like this, its probably a pressure loss problem and you can focus on where from.

Alternatively, as you are able to do the swap yourself, you could just refit the old pump and see if things return to normal?

Bob

"30secs to re-pressurise everything before trying to start up? "- I have a Bosch pump and I wait until I can hear it change note after a long  period of inactivity   before I crank the engine over.

On 5/30/2020 at 12:14 AM, Mike C said:

"30secs to re-pressurise everything before trying to start up? "- I have a Bosch pump and I wait until I can hear it change note after a long  period of inactivity   before I crank the engine over.

Phil,

if you are reading this thread, be careful with the bosch pump comment, the ignition coil gets stressed with long periods of power on without the engine running, hence the 30 second suggestion for your Lucas system was meant to be the max limit.

Bob

On 5/29/2020 at 9:16 PM, OldBob said:

Phil,

I also fitted a re-con Lucas pump from a reputable supplier a few years back and it was so poor it had to come straight off the car again and went back to them.

It does sound like you are losing pressure at the injectors overnight. IF this is the case, where its losing the pressure from is the important question. Have you tried ignition on for 30secs to re-pressurise everything before trying to start up?  If it starts better like this, its probably a pressure loss problem and you can focus on where from.

Alternatively, as you are able to do the swap yourself, you could just refit the old pump and see if things return to normal?

Bob

If a Lucas type pump has been reconditioned? but has had years of use I am not certain that the gears it would have, have been replaced with new ones. Therefore as the inners could be 50 years old I doubt that they can meet the original pressure spec test. In my view when fitting one of these types the fuel line s/b checked for pressure? I have always seen the attraction of fitting BOSCH pumps as the diesel ones can always pump to 150psi if required so in a TR application no problem.

Bruce.

I know that there are many here who will insist that Triumph knew what they were doing and that the Lucas pump is a wonderful thing but, Lucas had to build the PI system fitted to the TRs down to a price and the pump was marginal when new. Most have been rebuilt once or more.

A suitable Bosch pump will work fine. Sure running at 105psi is at the upper end of their capability but they are relatively cheap compared to a recon Lucas. The after market ones are relatively cheaper still. Whist they might not last forever they are cheap enough to almost consider as a service item.

Last time I changed my pump (after it had been damaged by a large spiral of swarf - that taught me that a coarse pre filter is worthwhile even if you have a post-filter Bosch set up)

That was now over 10 years ago and the Sytec pump is still going strong and the spare I bought at the time and still had change from a genuine Bosch is still buried in the boot somewhere)

14 hours ago, Andy Moltu said:

I know that there are many here who will insist that Triumph knew what they were doing and that the Lucas pump is a wonderful thing but, Lucas had to build the PI system fitted to the TRs down to a price and the pump was marginal when new. Most have been rebuilt once or more.

A suitable Bosch pump will work fine. Sure running at 105psi is at the upper end of their capability but they are relatively cheap compared to a recon Lucas. The after market ones are relatively cheaper still. Whist they might not last forever they are cheap enough to almost consider as a service item.

Last time I changed my pump (after it had been damaged by a large spiral of swarf - that taught me that a coarse pre filter is worthwhile even if you have a post-filter Bosch set up)

That was now over 10 years ago and the Sytec pump is still going strong and the spare I bought at the time and still had change from a genuine Bosch is still buried in the boot somewhere)

+1 The only other point was that I knew where I could buy a Bosch pump at trade prices but he has now retired like me. I am interested in your comment on the Sytec pumps as I know that the PI Saloon boys use these.

Bruce.