1600WK to new home

It's a sad day for me....

First registered May 1962

I acquired it May 1989

I've sold it May 2020

So 31 years in my stewardship and now sold to Malcolm Ling ( TR Register Member ), who I know will look after the car and take it to the next part of its story. I loved that car, but the time comes....

At least it's gone to another Malcolm....

IMG_7009.jpeg

Very sad day for you. I remember delivering it all those years ago when we had completed it!

Very pleased to hear it has gone to a good home

Tom

43 minutes ago, Tom Boyd said:

Very sad day for you. I remember delivering it all those years ago when we had completed it!

Very pleased to hear it has gone to a good home

Tom

I remember it well. Thanks for all your support over the years

Why did you sell?

I got my TR4 in 1994 and do not think I will ever sell it. There must be a VERY good reason for selling. Of course that can be many. Loss of eyesight, wooden knees, dementia.

Never say never. 

After years of a bad back, it turns out I have stenosis and scoliosis - this combination means that I am less mobile. I can drive fine, but it's hard to go too far when I get out! It may eventually mean an operation on the spine, but I'm not there yet

I have a 911 as well ( which is staying at this time ). Reality is that I am not using the TR enough, especially with a "Dark Side" motor as well. It's not a TR but it's a motoring icon as well and it's Tiptronic with air con.

The discussions were long and emotional within the WK household, but reality won over heart, in the end. 1600WK has been part of my kids and grandkids lives. The TR deserves to be driven more and it's going to a home where that will happen.

Malcolm L and I met at a Rally Support event in Chester Quite a few moons ago and he has maintained an interest in the car since then when we have met up. It's an emotional day for him as well. I'm very happy that he has the car and will use it as intended.

It's been in a magazine, it's the cover car for How to improve your TR4 to TR4A and has a 3D TV video made for the Far East Cable market ( I'm told it can be found on YouTube ).

It's been shown at RetroCar, TR International and various other things. It won the Pride of Ownership award at the TR International as well.

Recently we have done the TR Tours events in Southern and Northern Ireland - If you haven't done a TR Tour yet, I suggest you do. Contact Mick Forey if interested. He and Linda put a lot of effort into making these a success and very enjoyable.

Thanks also to the Red Rose gang, who have been a pleasure to TR with.

As you can tell, I have and will continue to have an emotional investment in this car. 

No problem with you asking the question Badhuis.

I'm lucky that the new owner will carry the car forward.

Sad day indeed Mal.

but I’m pleased it’s gone to a caring home. If only I had more car space. A single car garage is just not sufficient.

stay safe

don’t be a stranger at Redrose meets when they start up again .

i can offer a spare seat in my 3a when suzie is busy elsewhere.

H

17 hours ago, 4Mal said:

It's a sad day for me....

First registered May 1962

I acquired it May 1989

I've sold it May 2020

So 31 years in my stewardship and now sold to Malcolm Ling ( TR Register Member ), who I know will look after the car and take it to the next part of its story. I loved that car, but the time comes....

At least it's gone to another Malcolm....

I know how you feel Malcolm

Like you, I decided to sell my '6' 3 years ago, for health reasons.

My problem was, is, MS.  I could get in and out, but, using the pedals, specifically the throttle/brake combo with my right foot became very difficult.

I used my left foot for braking for a while, but, that's not a long term solution, so . . . . . .

Had a Boxster, but found it less than exciting

It just went where you pointed it, no matter what, where or when.

I decided that cruising was the way to go, so now have an SL500.

Not exciting, but, V8 very smooth, auto, all the bells and whistles . . . . . Not a TR, but, it'll do.

Enjoy the 911

John

Sorry to hear this. Of course a decline in health is a perfectly good reason to sell. Hope you can still enjoy your 911 for as long as you may wish. 

No worries Badhuis. I hope that you can continue to enjoy your TR for a looooong time to come. My plan is to use the 911 for a looooong time as well.

Another thing is that our kids live in the South of England ( London and Kent ). We are the only Grandparents in the UK as the others are in Australia and Japan. This means that School Holidays get pretty booked ( Post Lockdown bookings are already being made for the summer ). Good fun, but need to get in training now.

Anyway I'm very happy that it's in a good home and will be used as it should be. I think the last two years I managed about 150 miles a year. It deserves to be out and about and stretching its legs, which I know will happen. I'll also get to see it at our local race circuit too.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2020 at 7:28 PM, Jase said:

Beautiful car, any picsof the 911? :) 

My first trip to the "Dark Side"

911 SC Sport. Now lives in New Zealand

My current one is a 996 Carrera 2

IMG_0048.jpeg

Bet you didn't see that much difference between the SC and TR? I had a 964 which felt a bit like a Triumph on steroids. The newer ones are a lot more refined. Beautiful cars.

5 hours ago, Jase said:

Bet you didn't see that much difference between the SC and TR? I had a 964 which felt a bit like a Triumph on steroids. The newer ones are a lot more refined. Beautiful cars.

Compared to the later ones it's chalk and cheese. You can't really beat the air cooled noise and it's an involving drive ( like the TR ). Cool car though, which was being passed between friend for around £7K. Started on the button every time, although the body was a bit rough.

The 996 is 320BHP, full leather, sunroof, aircon, electric seats and windows etc etc. Nice + you can get luggage in, which was a challenge on the SC. Strangely enough, the kids are interested in that one, but the TR would have been hard to keep without garages and a strong interest in old cars.