Indicator stalk issue

Since fitting led bulbs which are much more current sensitive than incandescent, I have had a strange problem which I assume is due to dirty contacts causing tracking. Recently the indicator telltale has been flashing in the off position. The indicators on the offside are flashing very faintly. This also continues when I switch on the near side indicators. When I switch on the offside ones they work correctly and brightly. In other words, everything works as it should except that the off side flashes very faintly at all times.
First question - am I right with my diagnosis? 

Second question- how do I get at it to clean the contacts?

Third question - is the switch a serviceable item?

Hopefully someone can help as it is irritating, confusing and potentially dangerous. I coulmuse hand signals but nobody understands them and it will still be flashing faintly!

Andy

Hi Andy,

First question: did you upgrade your flasher unit when you changed to LED bulbs?

For cleaning, I think if you remove the two-piece cowling around the stalks and steering column, the contacts are accessible for cleaning.  Assuming all is well, once cleaned, I would keep the original (or, at least, older) switch rather than replace with a new one.

Tim

A contact cleaning fluid could save you having to dismantle the switch.  Maplin used to stock this juice, but I'm sure it's available elsewhere.

Ian Cornish

I think Tim may have already pointed you towards the solution.  As far as I am aware, LED indicator lamps need a matching electronic flasher unit for them to work correctly.

I have the correct electronic flasher so I don’t think that is the problem. However, before I went out  today I sprayed contact cleaner NOT WD 40  on the switch. I may have overdone it a bit but when I went out it worked perfectly. I did around 60 miles with loads of indicator opportunities. My suspicion is that there was a build up of hardened grease, verdigris or fluff. I’m adopting an ‘if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it’ approach for the time being. 
For the record the metal housing appears to be one piece as I couldn’t see a seam. There is one screw on top and one below. I am happy to be corrected though. Thanks for your helpful suggestions

Andy

I recently changed all my dash bulbs (including indicator lights but not ignition light) to LEDs.  Should I be replacing the original flasher unit and, if so, what with?

Thanks

Bob

Only if you also change the actual indicator bulbs to LEDs Bob. The original bimetallic flasher units won't work because the current is too low. Just changing the dash bulbs doesn't affect that. 

Edited by RobH
21 hours ago, Ocheye said:
For the record the metal housing appears to be one piece as I couldn’t see a seam. There is one screw on top and one below. I am happy to be corrected though. Thanks for your helpful suggestions

Well, it played up again today occasionally so I’ve given it another go with switch cleaner. I’d like to know the procedure for accessing the switch as the binnacle? appears to be a single casting that way I can give it a thorough clean

Andy

Andy - its in two halves which will come apart once you have taken the top and bottom screw out - be careful not to butcher the screw heads as they can be quite tight!

Good luck

cheers Rich