Hello Dave, I'd recommend getting Michelin XAS original size tyres too. I've had wider low profiles on previous 5, they do improve grip in the dry a little but XAS tyres grip very well, allow the car to handle in a more entertaining way if you push it and make parking a little easier on the arms.

Regards Mike.

thanks guys

Michael you ok had the revolutions on my 6 but going back to std for the 5 rebuild

Mike see my avatar i am a long way from putting tyres on hahaha but yeah michelins seem to be the way to go 165's

just checking i have all the original bits as back in the 80's i put anything on as it was my daily driver to work and the originality didnt matter wish i have bought all those parts then they were so cheap

just looking at the plenum i have a 6 plenum but might modify it or buy a 5 one (theres a 5 plenum on ebay but £150) anyway long way off that need stripping and the chassis sorting first

david

See what you mean! Just finished mine but started with a very sound chassis and body (paint was chipped, scratched etc on every panel but almost zero tin worm) - just had to do nearly everything else. Took 13 months, would have been longer but lockdown has some benefits!

Good luck with yours.

Regards Mike.

IMG_20200522_160929.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
21 hours ago, dblenk said:

HI All

bought some 4 1/2" TR5 wheels fitting rostyle wheel trims

david

David

They do look nice with the Rostyles on:rolleyes:

Rostyles Fitted at Last.jpg

2 hours ago, dblenk said:

yes that car did have wires as i know Sean and Tony who had the car previously

i had Rostyles on mine back in the nineties but the photos are old school not digital

cant wait to start the resto

david

You are correct, I've never been a big fan of Wires so managed to refurbish some of the Rostyles I got with the car and a couple of others I managed to pick up via the Register.

Apparently they have a habit of rattling and flying off!

Mine where fine though.

1 hour ago, Gary Flinn said:

You are correct, I've never been a big fan of Wires so managed to refurbish some of the Rostyles I got with the car and a couple of others I managed to pick up via the Register.

Apparently they have a habit of rattling and flying off!

The Rostyles won't come off without severe impact to the wheel, with a sideways vector and likely permanent distortion. What they will do is appear to be fastened when only (2) of the (3) nibs are engaged. Then they'll come off. Their biggest problem is owners / service shops who removed them by prying the outer edge away from the wheel. Next in line is curb rash.

To me they were always " fake " vs. the real thing which were fitted to Rover 2000s and others. For those eager to have them, a gent in the 'States is thinking to make reproductions as he already has for the striped hoses. Search " Rostyle "  on www.triumphexperience.com. I'm in line to get a set for my original '250 wheels in VGC.

Tom

Back in 2010 I spoke to Mr Roberry about the patterns to manufacture of the real trims they apparently went to Australia so many got in touch with them but they couldn't find them and listed as missing stock

the tooling to remanufacture was about 10k and the response when I asked on here was approx ten people however people are paying £1800 for immaculate sets so probably worth it now back in 2010 £400 got you a pristine set so I did

i will have a look though

david