...another surrey top question!!!!!!!!

I fear that Surrey tops are cropping up rather a lot  at the moment but please forgive me.

Am fitting an original Surrey top and hard top to a 5 which was a soft top. This conversion was done some 40 years ago.

I have retained the original windscreen frame, and bought from a reputable supplier an original Surrey capping. I have then ordered various parts from the Moss catalogue including part No 613508 ( distance tube). I had assumed that these goes up through the underside of the original windscreen frame on the underside of where the soft top would have been secured is that correct? If so do I have to enlarge the existing hole on the underside of the frame?

Was the windscreen frame on a 5 the same one regardless of whether it had a soft top or hard top?

Can't help but feel I am missing something.

Thanks for bearing with me!

Tim

IMG_5856.thumb.JPG.f779e439accdbd0075756ddffb886957.JPGIMG_4868s.thumb.JPG.7f25544b6cf13746f3f5cf9fb6223db6.JPG

...part key number 43 on the page.

I was never able to use the distance piece on my '250s with original windscreen frames. Moreover, the depression around the hood fastening holes had to be filled to effect a seal with the TR4 type capping.

I now have a TR4 screen frame on my driver and the distance piece goes in the top ( never thought to try it the other way ). These allow you to torque the bolts tight but I don't recommend that anyway as it will eventually strip out the threads in the captive nuts with repetition. This is especially bad with the rear mountings which are harder to restore.

Moderate tightening is my protocol and occasional re-tightening as warranted. I guess I've done somewhere around 40-50K miles with the hardtops in place overall.

Tom

So if the car was manufactured as a hardtop would it have had a different windscreen profile on the top edge?

Cheers,

Tim

34 minutes ago, Tim T said:

So if the car was manufactured as a hardtop would it have had a different windscreen profile on the top edge?

Cheers,

Tim

I think you`ll find the distance tube is actually TR4 fitment only and just gets included through the various versions of the catalogue since. I have them on my 4a but did need to slightly open out the hole in the frame to get them to fit, its not very much at all but I suspect the original tubes may have been slightly thinner wall and hence would have fitted very snug.

Stuart.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still dithering and unsure of fitting combinations!!! 

If I opt for keeping the original soft top windscreen capping on the 5, combined with the front rail from a soft top for the Surrey top, can I still fit the original hard top? 

I hope that makes sense!

Thanks,

Tim

Tim

you will need the wider correct capping for a Surrey , the folding hood type will not allow the Surrey fabric top to fit under the front. Try and use an original as the replacements are very poor.

graham

50 minutes ago, Tim T said:

I'm still dithering and unsure of fitting combinations!!! 

If I opt for keeping the original soft top windscreen capping on the 5, combined with the front rail from a soft top for the Surrey top, can I still fit the original hard top? 

I hope that makes sense!

Thanks,

Tim

I believe the clamping receptacle for the TR5/6 soft top which lies under the capping will interfere with the fixing bolts of the hard top. Others can chime in here to correct this perception.

I know several are about with the TR5/6 front rail on their soft tops but don't know if those are dual use ( the metal lid too ).

Tom

So, to summarise,  if I'm wanting to use the original hard top I am compelled to have the original  Surrey top fixing system ie tucking it under an original Surrey windscreen capping.

If I want the adapted soft top fixing method for the Surrey top then I have to have the original soft top windscreen capping and can't use the hard top.

thanks,

Tim

Excellent, that is the answer that I was hoping for. Do you still get a good seal across the indents on the screen capping?

Thanks,

Tim

Of course you can fit the hardtop when using the soft top capping, it doesnt make any difference, I ran mine like that for ages with the hardtop on until I got a Surrey capping which I will eventually change to the early brass capping I have managed to obtain.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Many thanks all.

Tim

Have just received the replacement Surrey top which looks good. However there is no seal on the rear of it as there was on the one which I took off. Is this correct?

20200615_133524.thumb.jpg.b62d763c12f42d76dbdbe3afc77b7d11.jpg

Many thanks,

Tim

20 minutes ago, Tim T said:

Have just received the replacement Surrey top which looks good. However there is no seal on the rear of it as there was on the one which I took off. Is this correct?

20200615_133524.thumb.jpg.b62d763c12f42d76dbdbe3afc77b7d11.jpg

Many thanks,

Tim

Originals had a sponge pocket at each side at the rear IIRC. Not like the one shown above.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

This has pockets in the same place. The inner lining was also beige and then stained black.

Thanks,

Tim

20200615_144656s.thumb.jpg.f45aa37ba25c19efdc9498abd8ae20fd.jpg

Found another one up the road on a 4a.

Tim

553375933_20200615_152815(002)s.thumb.jpg.c880b999aca4ebfd967d5c93a56e7a5a.jpg

Different type of "P" section on that one. Judging by the sewing that looks aftermarket.

Stuart.

Similar, but different- can anyone suggest a supplier for a new WHITE surrey? Mine was bought from a major supplier and is marked CHT. The underside is beige which is fine, but the top is very, very  thin allowing the sunlight to noticeably shine through. More importantly, although its watertight its very thin and flappy when moving and a bit tight on material- the rear (side to side plane) is very tight and its extremities are nowhere near the top of the surrey frame "B" post.

James

CHT is Coventry Hood and Tonneau Company. Very pleased with mine.

Atb

Tim