Surrey Hardtop pics

As it will probably be a while before I am able to get out and view a Surrey hardtop I wonder if forum members could post some close up pictures especially of the inside structure, how it meets the edges and so forth of their steel or aluminium top, you know what I mean. Ultimately I guess I could manufacture what works for me but it would also be helpful to plagarise the best bits.

Thanks

1 hour ago, Tom Fremont said:

This one's ready to go if you want to save both money and time:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Triumph-TR4-TR4A-TR5-very-rare-original-ALUMINIUM-Surrey-hard-top-roof-panel/233595716326?hash=item366363c2e6:g:HJgAAOSwqOxea5J1

You won't have to ship it across the pond either ^_^.

Tom

Ouch and it needs painting!

Stuart.

Hi guys, I've got a 1967 TR4A that I've owned since 1975.  I did a chassis off rebuild back in 1980 and used it for many years afterwards but one way or another the car has sat around in the garage for the last 25 years!.  Long story!   I was hoping my sons would get Car SOS along to sort it for me but they never bothered so it looks like I've got to do  it. LOL

This thread has interested me because I bought a Surrey top (backlight, hard top and fabric Surrey section and frame) from a guy in Birmingham way back in 1979 for the princely sum of £20 for the lot off his scrap TR4 - the good old days eh?!  The hard top panel and backlight frame are aluminium.  For many years I assumed all Surrey tops were aluminium but I read recently on an American forum that only the first 500 TR4's had aluminium then they reverted to steel. 

Questions to you experts:-  is this true and are the later backlight frames made of steel as well? 

As an aside, I think Triumph probably made a mistake in reverting to steel particularly in view of rusting.  The aluminium panel doesn't rust, however it is easily dented when storing it.  Mine fortunately has sat in the roof of the garage for a quarter of a century!!  The lockdown has finally brought the whole TR project to the top of the job queue at last and I must say I'm having a great time delving into everything again.  Fortunately, I always kept very detailed service records so I know exactly what I'm dealing with.  I need to trim the hardtop panel as it never had any internal roof lining when I bought it.  I've got the 3 trim rails that sit inside the roof panel but as per the request of the OP, if anyone has a pic of the completed trimmed roof panel and backlight panel then it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

John Hutchinson

12 hours ago, twostrokekid said:

Hi guys, I've got a 1967 TR4A that I've owned since 1975.  I did a chassis off rebuild back in 1980 and used it for many years afterwards but one way or another the car has sat around in the garage for the last 25 years!.  Long story!   I was hoping my sons would get Car SOS along to sort it for me but they never bothered so it looks like I've got to do  it. LOL

This thread has interested me because I bought a Surrey top (backlight, hard top and fabric Surrey section and frame) from a guy in Birmingham way back in 1979 for the princely sum of £20 for the lot off his scrap TR4 - the good old days eh?!  The hard top panel and backlight frame are aluminium.  For many years I assumed all Surrey tops were aluminium but I read recently on an American forum that only the first 500 TR4's had aluminium then they reverted to steel. 

Questions to you experts:-  is this true and are the later backlight frames made of steel as well? 

As an aside, I think Triumph probably made a mistake in reverting to steel particularly in view of rusting.  The aluminium panel doesn't rust, however it is easily dented when storing it.  Mine fortunately has sat in the roof of the garage for a quarter of a century!!  The lockdown has finally brought the whole TR project to the top of the job queue at last and I must say I'm having a great time delving into everything again.  Fortunately, I always kept very detailed service records so I know exactly what I'm dealing with.  I need to trim the hardtop panel as it never had any internal roof lining when I bought it.  I've got the 3 trim rails that sit inside the roof panel but as per the request of the OP, if anyone has a pic of the completed trimmed roof panel and backlight panel then it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

John Hutchinson

Up until about the late 90`s you could hardly give Surrey tops away. At Shepton in 96 there were three there for sale including one full ally set for £350 and the dealer took them all home with him unsold.

You could still get Ally roofs later on in original production as they were listed as a "Ladies top" but it seems there were only a handful of steel rear sections ever made.

Stuart.

I have just done the headlining and backlight frame on my 5. The headlining is not perfect but acceptable to me.

Here are some images of the headlining will take some of the backlight tomorrow.

BTW the headlining that I got from TR Shop was good but it is cut and supplied at the finished trim size. I cut nothing off the material!

Cheers,

Tim

IMG_5846s.thumb.JPG.09afbca0ff5d79c6fe8839c1b23a1d64.JPG

Here they are then. All I can say that this is what I have done based on what was there previously which I believe was original. I am happy with my result but am sure there is room for improvement!

Atb,

Tim

IMG_5889s.thumb.JPG.2e78e98c43eff8796fce9e7e0578b71f.JPGIMG_5890s.thumb.JPG.f18130d404ea3cce84a1b7d8354571c6.JPGIMG_5893s.thumb.JPG.7582022f0f6cfdaaf08184580876e676.JPGIMG_5894s.thumb.JPG.20a2f0960882ad07f909eb97d0ed8d4b.JPGIMG_5896s.thumb.JPG.7fe7af6148f4774dab0de64ec8e4d938.JPGIMG_5898s.thumb.JPG.366a9a32e2894cd64639a5a1445c9d8e.JPG

Edited by Tim T
speller

Looks very tidy, I'd be more than happy with that result!  Thanks for the pics Tim.  I need to take the back end apart to change the H deck so I'll strip out the rear window of the Surrey frame for the paint job and trim it then.  Thanks again.

16 hours ago, twostrokekid said:

Looks very tidy, I'd be more than happy with that result!  Thanks for the pics Tim.  I need to take the back end apart to change the H deck so I'll strip out the rear window of the Surrey frame for the paint job and trim it then.  Thanks again.

I wouldnt change the rear deck unless it totaled and you have a Stanpart or very early repro rear deck as the current offerings are very poor, better to repair the outer ends of the deck which is normally all that goes.

Stuart.

I've got a Stanpart original in the roof of the garage.  I changed my original deck in 1977 but fitted a deck with some imperfections that I've lived with for too long. You're right, its the outer ends that rust but in my case its the centre section over the fuel filler that has some wavy dents that were there when I fitted it.  I guess I'm just more choosy nowadays.

Tim T,

Nice trim work. I see you have seat belt mounts in the wheel arch and signs of strengthening in the arch?

Was this self made or a purchased part?

Nigel H.

twostrokekid

You could try to shrink out the wavy dents..before you cut it all out?

Its worth a try..?

Nigel H.

• 3 years later...
On 5/28/2020 at 11:07 AM, stuart said:

A few here.

Stuart.

Surrey roof 006.jpg

Surrey roof 002.jpg

jeffstr5 060.jpg

jeffstr5 061.jpg

jeffstr5 062.jpg

jeffstr5 063.jpg

Stuart, when you were working on this did you separate the inner and outer skins before welding in replacement sections? Then spot weld on three sides and a squashed hem at the front?

18 hours ago, Besalu said:

Stuart, when you were working on this did you separate the inner and outer skins before welding in replacement sections? Then spot weld on three sides and a squashed hem at the front?

The steel ones Ive had to repair are usually that bad there is no front fold and Ive had to make that section so the inside is easy to get to and de-rust. Also the same goes for the corners especially at the rear, theres often only a bit left so its easier to just cut a section off and make it in new metal.

Stuart.