Door Weatherstrip - Inner seal

Hi, just setting about replacement of door weather-strips - as the outers have perished/split after 25 years use (when I last replaced them). Anyway, I thought I might as well do the whole lot, (inner and outer) so bought the full kit from Rimmers - but I now notice that the inners do not match those that I have just removed - nor are they formed into the correct shape - they are just a straight seal . also they only have one exposed metal edge - whereas my old ones have 2 - see photos

Q: - have I been supplied the wrong items?  or is this yet another case of the only thing available from the suppliers but they don't bother to advertise this ?

all comments gratefully received - didn't want to fit them if alternatives available.

cheers

NPA

02.jpg

Thats pretty much what you get these days Im afraid.Ive not seen any repros with both ally edges. Though they should be the correct shaped ones, yet again poor quality control from Rimmers. I buy mine from TR Shop they are the right shape at least.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

My outer seals from Moss are floppy too, I hope they harden a bit over time.
Waldi

thank you all for responding, sincerely, most useful. I have returned the inner seals to Rimmers - to be fair to them if you "dig down" into the "i" logo on the parts section, they do state that this part  needs cutting and shaping to suit - but this really is the "very small print" stuff - have yet to receive a refund, but work in progress and I don't foresee any problems as they were quite amenable to my "complaint" - it's just a very annoying "hassle" to have to go through in the 1st place, when a bit more clarity on the part of the supplier would have prevented all of this, or at least given me the opportunity of making an informed decision.

As an aside, following your responses / leads i purchased a new set from TRGB - but despite this time being the correct shape they are not as good as the ones I have just removed after some 25+ years, in that the "flock" wiper edge on the new ones are very poor and very "thin" - so I guess it's another phone call and a return parcel - Hermes must be making a fortune from all this on-line retail activity.

But thanks again for all your responses - it's really helped

regards 

Hi

I have a set I need to fit . . and keep putting the job off until 'tomorrow' and I have had these seals 3 years. . . 

Any experiences on fitting them - the outer ones were quite a challenge for me

Richard

I fitted the outer ones recently, not easy but do-able. I did carefully grind off some metal so this has a little clearance in the door opening. The rubber top part I kept a bit longer so there is a 2-3 mm “overlap”.

Yesterday I tried fitting the inner one, I lost and ruined one. The most rear clamp was the issue, the door flange was not flat enough close to the rear end of the opening. I had to shorten this one a bit too, carefully with a grinder. Trial fit first so you can see which side can best be shortened so the seal- and door contour line up. Think it was Roger H who recommended fitting the clips of the inner seal in the door first, and then press the seal into the clip. Good tip, that part worked.
Note the inner and outer seals have different clips.
Cheers,

Waldi

You always have to trim these seals slightly to suit, The outers need careful trimming so the rubber top goes all the way to the end of the door but the steel bottom section needs careful trimming to the length of the aperture. The inner will need trimming to the length of the aperture too.

Stuart.