Knock-on Minilite style

All,

I realise this topic has been discussed many times and I have read a great deal of info already...

I have 72 spoke wires on my TR5 and want to change to Minilites (or equivalent). From what I have read, there is substantial work involved particularly for the rear wheels if I should revert to bolt on wheels and so "knock-on" seems to be my better option. This would always allow me to revert to wires should I wish to in the future.

My question is really to try and get the thoughts/regrets(?) of the members here who have made the transition. Did everything go smoothly and which supplier did the new knock-ons come from. I live in Sweden so will order from within EU/UK. Also, I assume all splines are created equally? i.e. I wouldn't normally need to change those too...? Are there any reasons I shouldn't go with knock-ons? I don't drive the car excessively fast or race etc.

Would love some recommendations for suppliers, I have seen on Rimmer, Moss so far (even eBay) and prices range significantly.

As a follow up question it seems that the size should be 5.5J x 15. Any comments on that?

Apologies for the re-hash of this topic but good to get latest info!

Many thanks,

Andrew

I don't see where the 'substantial work' would be Andrew, you just need to knock out the studs and fit longer ones and appropriate nuts. Then to revert to wires you'll need a slim spacer under the spline adaptor to take up the extra stud length. As far as size, choose your tyre first and let that inform your wheel size.

Downsides of knock-on alloys are the weight and cost.

My 5 looked best on wires, but handled better on alloys.

Jerry

44 minutes ago, roy53 said:

Straight swop.5 1/2 j

mine fromTR shop but i think they all come from the same source.

Roy

P1010372.JPG

Lovely..! What tyres do you have on those (and are you happy with them - tubeless I guess)..? I'm leaning towards using knock-ons to keep the option of reverting to wires if I ever get around to cleaning them up.

They are Goodyear NCT 185x70 tubeless   chose them because they looked more period than others on offer at the time.

Performance ?     i enjoy driving at a nice steady touring pace with this one . I have the other car for abusing on the track.

Roy