1969 Crash Pads and Dash top - Material

Evening folks

By way of another project to keep busy I was thinking of recovering mine as the crash pads have gone brittle and have a few splits rather than buying new. The dash top is crispy as well. Anyone able to direct me to where I can obtain the closest matched material to the original to recover them.

Thanks

Andy

Hi Andy,

the original material is a heat formed vinyl with no backing. Once cooled its remains in the moulded shape.  

This would be no good to the DIY'er.

All the vinyl cloth that I have seen has a fabric backing (you can get it without the backing) that is very pliable.

Trying to get a grain pattern to match what you already have is nigh on impossible but there are close matches.

One way around it is to recover all your pads etc with the same material.  Or you could buy the ready made pads from one supplier - they may match up !!!!!

Roger

The new ones sold by TRSHOP look good and fit well. You would struggle to make as good by recovering and the old one which may crumble or break in the process. Mine still looks good 9 years after fitting, (TR4A)

Chris

Edited by ChrisR-4A
12 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Vinide might do it

https://www.martrim.co.uk/car-trimming-supplies/vinide-leather-cloth-rexine.php

The original was made as Roger says with a vacuum form skin that was filled with foam.

Peter W

Quite hard to work with as there`s absolutely no give in it, also known as unsupported vinyl.

Stuart.

Thanks all.

Nothing to loose by trying so will order some vinyl and give it a go!

Andy

5 hours ago, ed_h said:

Andy--

Might be something here that can help:

http://bullfire.net/TR6/TR6-79/TR6-79.html

Ed

Thanks Ed

Should have known by now that you would have had a go at these!

Andy