Hi, I have excessive metallic noise coming from the transmission the first 20 mins or so of driving, in 1st thru 3rd gear.   No issue or grinding in changing gears, no slippage, transmission seems fine except for loud metallic noise.   Goes away after 20 or so mins of driving.  Transmission fluid level fine, no leaks.   Anyone have any ideas?   Thanks.

Welcome to the forum "Fleegs" - do you have a name?

It would help with diagnosis if you could give rather more detail.

What exactly do you mean by 'excessive metallic noise'? - is this a knocking or a ringing sound, and does it vary with engine speed. or with road speed?

Is this something which has suddenly started or is it something which has been there a while and is slowly getting louder?  Have you done some recent work on the car which might be relevant?

Does it happen with the gearbox in neutral while the car is moving i.e when you disengage the clutch?  Any extra info would be useful.

Thanks for the feedback.   Heavy metallic steady noise (grinding but consistent) occurs when accelerating, regardless of road speed/rpm.  Does not occur when car in neutral, nor does any grinding when shifting gears.  1976 TR6 4 spd no electr overdrive.  Done no recent work on the transmission, transmission fluid level is fine.  Excessive heat coming from transmission tunnel in car, but no carpet/insulation on tunnel and a few holes exist, so I figure just need to seal holes and find some tunnel carpet, plus re-seal tunnel to the chassis.  Only started this noise in the last 2 months, before did not make.   Thanks.

Hi Fleegs 

one of the easiest things to do would be to drain the gear oil, if you have a magnetic plug you should soon see if you have lay shaft/ bearing trouble.

mine came out with bits of needle roller and a gear tooth .

Chris.

2 hours ago, Ian Vincent said:

Many years ago I had a similar problem. It was a layshaft bearing. I solved the problem temporarily by putting a substantial amount of grease into the box. 

Rgds Ian

Ian, I was expecting you see five more words at the end of your sentence, 'and then flogged it quick', sorry couldn't resist, feeling in a mischievous mood today. :D

Best wishes

Mike

Edited by MikeThomas
16 minutes ago, MikeThomas said:

Ian, I was expecting you see five more words at the end of your sentence, 'and then flogged it quick', sorry couldn't resist, feeling in a mischievous mood today. :D

Best wishes

Mike

It went soon after. :ph34r:

Rgds Ian

Tried that in the late 60's in my Morris 1000.

I had snapped a half shaft (again), & on replacement I forgot to fill it with oil (stupid boy)

Half way to work the next day it started whining like mad.

Tried the nylon stocking trick (as well as oil) - didn't work, had to get a new (SH from breakers yard) axle.

Bob.

In the 1970’s I poked a pair of new nylon stocking through the dipstick hole to try to solve big end rattle in a 3A.

I mention that the stockings were new, because I had a bit of a problem in the shop trying to get them. It was near Monte Carlo, and all the shops were quite expensive. The stylish shop assistant asked me questions like “What size?”, “What colour? “, “Plain or patterned”?

I kept replying that I wasn’t really bothered.

In the end I told her that I just wanted to stick them in my engine.

I don’t think she really understood.

It’s a pity, because if she knew anything about engines she might have said :

“Oh. Don’t do that! All that will happen is that they will get sucked around the oil pump gauze, your oil pressure will go down to zero, and you will have to remove the sump to retrieve them”.

That, of course, is exactly what happened.

Apologies Mr Fleegs, as none of this really helps your problems, apart from advising you not to put nylon stocking in your gearbox.

Charlie.

8 hours ago, Lebro said:

Tried that in the late 60's in my Morris 1000.

I had snapped a half shaft (again), & on replacement I forgot to fill it with oil (stupid boy)

Half way to work the next day it started whining like mad.

Tried the nylon stocking trick (as well as oil) - didn't work, had to get a new (SH from breakers yard) axle.

Bob.

I also got a 2nd hand Morris 1000 drive shaft from a scrap yard together with the diff in 1970 to make a quick fix to my 1961 Riley 1.5 back axle. Everything fitted but the diff ratio was very low compared to the original Riley 1.5 unit. Driving up the M1 from my first full time job in Bedford to home in Wakefield the engine was very busy and fuel consumption alarming but it got me home.  

Dave McD

They changed the diff ratio in 62/63 when they bought out the 1098cc engine, (also had a better gearbox using baulk ring synchromesh) Mine was  a '63.

Bob.