Overdrive Sump Magnet

I am in the process ofchanging the filter in my J type overdrive unit. The original is looking worn out-little splits in it etc. My question is whether I need to change the strip magnet on the sump cover. After cleaning it all up, the magnet is not strong enough to hold small pieces of metal-e.g. a very small screw-but maybe they are weak anyway and hold the (hopefully) tiny pieces of swarf that get in the oil. Anyone know how strong they should be, is it worth changing? I am pretty sure it's 47 years old so maybe it has lost its magnetism. I'm a bit older and my own magnetism isn't what it was...

Any help gratefully received!

22 minutes ago, Phil Pope said:

I am in the process ofchanging the filter in my J type overdrive unit. The original is looking worn out-little splits in it etc. My question is whether I need to change the strip magnet on the sump cover. After cleaning it all up, the magnet is not strong enough to hold small pieces of metal-e.g. a very small screw-but maybe they are weak anyway and hold the (hopefully) tiny pieces of swarf that get in the oil. Anyone know how strong they should be, is it worth changing? I am pretty sure it's 47 years old so maybe it has lost its magnetism. I'm a bit older and my own magnetism isn't what it was...

Any help gratefully received!

I would ask that question to ORS who are the main re-conner of O/D's here in the UK. Also they manufacture  parts & supplier of spares.

Bruce.