tachometer / odometer lighting

Hi Jo,

you could bypass the rheostat - that may give an odd volt or two extra.

The plastic on the side of the  small dials does get dirty/discolour. It can be removed and cleaned

You are seriously limited in the choice of more powerful filament bulbs.

LEDs should do the trick. The older versions were useless. The modern ones are much better. Do not buy cheap ones.

Roger

Some LEDS only give out light in a beam forwards which might not be ideal for this application. Perhaps you need the type which dissipate light sideways too in the same way as the original bulb?

3 hours ago, Lebro said:

LED conversion normally give, if anything, too much light ! perhaps choose better LEDs ?

Bob.

Hi Bob, leds for the small gauges (temp, oil,...) are bright enough but when I put them in my big gauges (MPH, tacho) they don't give enough. Or is this normal?

3 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Jo,

you could bypass the rheostat - that may give an odd volt or two extra.

The plastic on the side of the  small dials does get dirty/discolour. It can be removed and cleaned

You are seriously limited in the choice of more powerful filament bulbs.

LEDs should do the trick. The older versions were useless. The modern ones are much better. Do not buy cheap ones.

Roger

Hi Robert, the small gauges (temp, oil,...) are ok with the leds. The big ones are the problem... the same leds but almost no light... maby it was original also a problem??

2 hours ago, RobH said:

Some LEDS only give out light in a beam forwards which might not be ideal for this application. Perhaps you need the type which dissipate light sideways too in the same way as the original bulb?

Hi Rob, maby, it's possible. The problem is that the bigger leds (the light sideways too) don't fit in the big gauges (MPH, tacho). Only little ones that beam forwards...

You were right the first time Jo. The RPM dial is indeed the Tachometer. 

I think Jase must mean the trip mileometer (or 'Odometer' to use the correct term). I believe that is reset using the flexible stalk that hangs down from the right hand side of the speedo under the dash.

(item 2 in the drawing)

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/electrical-system/gauges-instruments/instruments-cables-dash-switches-tr4-4a.html

Sorry for the temporary thread drift.

Edited by RobH

Back to the original topic:

Jo, I put an article in TRAction in 2009 about this exact issue, and what I did to overcome it. Send me an email and I'll send you the article and some additional related info. (see signature for email link)

Kind regards

Tony

Edited by tthomson