Steering stop (on trunnion)

Hi

I'm still in the middle of my suspension and camber etc upgrade on my 3a You know how one job leads to 7 others !!

decided to go the adj fulcrum route, yet to be welded up, as I had a set on the shelf (eBay special - bastuck) after struggling with shortened top wish bones and locked up top ball joints (seized A new one up totally as it wouldn’t allow drop to bottom stop !) 

revington high articulation top ball joints have helped enormously (they should for the cost !) But you get what you pay for I suppose. 
then needed to re-route brake pipes. And file the rear outward edge of top wishbones.

now Still need larger diameter steering stops on the trunnions.

i need 22 to 24mm dia. www sites out there suggest the later tr5/6 stops are 22mm with 5/16 or 8.?mm hole is this right .

anyone got a spare set? 

H

I also found that the standard items were not large / offset enough, so I made some new bigger ones.

If you are stuck, I can make you a couple.

Bob.

Be careful with going too large as they can bind on full drop with the later 3deg setup as Ive found with the Revington ones, your better off with properly offset ones that you can adjust.

Stuart.

Thank Stuart 

I have tried to set it all up with the  weight on the front on the spring pans. With the 420lb springs they don’t move up much before the car lift off the axle stands under the chassis.

this puts the top outer rear wishbone edge right on the minilite style wheel rim at full lock.

just needs stopping before it touches. I know it will affect the turning circle but rarely have it on full lock With the steering box- 

22mm with a slight offset mounting hole may work ?

H

Edited by Hamish
Auto correct !
2 minutes ago, Hamish said:

Thank Stuart 

I have tried to set it all up with the  weight on the front on the spring pans. With the 420lb springs they don’t move up much before the car lift off the axle stands under the chassis.

this puts the top outer rear wishbone edge right on the minilite style wheel rim at full lock.

just needs stopping before it touches. I know it will affect the turning circle but rarely have iron full lock With the steering box- 

22mm with a slight offset mounting hole may work ?

H

Sounds as if your wheel offset isnt quite right, You could fit wheel spacers if your studs are long enough (TR Shop do some nice solid 6mm ones) the trick with grinding off the outer edge of the top wishbones is an old one and can sometimes be enough.

Stuart.

As Bob has noted above these could be made.   Not hard to create the offset hole by either 4 jaw chuck or setting the tail stock over.

What is the diameter of the original eccentric lock stop?  I do not have a spare.   Blob of weld and a file would bring the diameter up if required.  Not pretty but only you would know.

Cheers
Peter W

Peter

original just under 20mm with off set hole. 
I tried some Ali flat bar filed down as a test and the back of the wheel need a touch more than I made thus about 22/23mm And ideally a more robust material .

the front it ok and clears my 7/8th spitfire anti roll bar  

the weld trick could be an option  

7 hours ago, stuart said:

Be careful with going too large as they can bind on full drop with the later 3deg setup as Ive found with the Revington ones, your better off with properly offset ones that you can adjust.

Stuart.

The ones I made were offset ;)

Bob

Bob you need one of these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Weldon-cs-8s-High-Speed-Countersink-and-Deburring-Tool-8-12-9-34-90-Degree/324067079505?hash=item4b73e73551:g:ySUAAOSw6qRePuGE

Stunning quality and does the job perfectly without chatter.

Peter W

PS What was the hole offset from centre for the 23mm bar diameter?

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Cheeky !

Offset works out as 2.92mm from centre, but I went for the hole being the same distance to the closest point  on the edge as the original, & that was 8.38mm.

Bob

Bob

that looks fantastic. Just the job. Thank you

i think/hope that the suspension is done just need to set these new stops.

D54CF956-B282-4EDB-9B75-B9541B3F06A1.jpeg

D908DEC3-3FEE-46D0-B119-DE9C37A661AB.jpeg

384C3784-C974-4414-A328-47D246C2CF7A.jpeg