One piece hardtop

Lot's of chat about Surrey tops but does anyone have a one piece hardtop? Any photographs and information/advice about fitting? Finally best place to purchase, I note that SC parts list a racing hardtop. I couldn't see anything on Honeybourne.

Thanks

Jase 

They are listed on the on the Honeybourne Website 

TRIUMPH TR4, 4A, 5, 250,  RACING STYLE 

HTTR4RACB   Hardtop TR4-5 One-Piece, Racing Style, black  £875.00

HTTR4RACW   Hardtop TR4-5 One-Piece, Racing Style, white  £875.00

HTTR4RACWP  Hardtop TR4-5 One-Piece, Racing Style, white for painting £860.00

Thanks, senior moment, I thought they were fastbacks, they seem to have increased quite a bit in price over the last few years, saw earlier posts at £295 :) wishful thinking.

56 minutes ago, Jase said:

Thanks, senior moment, I thought they were fastbacks, they seem to have increased quite a bit in price over the last few years, saw earlier posts at £295 :) wishful thinking.

That was the earlier price for the rear section only Im afraid.

Stuart.

Out of interest has anyone tried making their own surrey hard top? One of the members of a metalshapers group on facebook has made two aluminium backlights from ali for a customer. It would be useful to be able to take a template from an original top.

1 minute ago, Jase said:

Out of interest has anyone tried making their own surrey hard top? One of the members of a metalshapers group on facebook has made two aluminium backlights from ali for a customer. It would be useful to be able to take a template from an original top.

We`ve been there lots of times, there was a company in the Midlands that was going to get them re-cast but that came to nothing, they did make some as just a skin but that was only any good for race cars when used with a ROB.

Stuart.

Thanks, I notice there is an aluminium 'surrey' roof on ebay UK at the moment - £1100. Do these fit to the glass fibre mouldings from honeybourne or revington?

1 hour ago, Jase said:

Thanks, I notice there is an aluminium 'surrey' roof on ebay UK at the moment - £1100. Do these fit to the glass fibre mouldings from honeybourne or revington?

Yes, I have a steel roof on my Honeybourne rear section.

Stuart.

1776916116_Looe-1-Copy.thumb.jpg.38655f08f0eb3580e60144b47a1c55fe.jpg516248772_IMG_0009_1200x880-Copy.thumb.jpg.6e5c1bd66135bc60c900e513bd6466c5.jpg

Very, very, very nice. I think I'm going to order the Honeybourne backlight and make an aluminium roof panel. Next project, just waiting for my bandsaw to arrive ;) 

Smoothline ad says.....

"Every Smooth Line Hardtop is custom made to order by our expert trained craftsman one at a time" ...wish they also had an "expert trained designer".

Edited by Malbaby
10 hours ago, Jase said:

Very, very, very nice. I think I'm going to order the Honeybourne backlight and make an aluminium roof panel. Next project, just waiting for my bandsaw to arrive ;) 

Good luck with trying to make a roof , hope your good with an English wheel.

Stuart.

3 hours ago, stuart said:

Good luck with trying to make a roof , hope your good with an English wheel.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart, yep good with an English wheel, shrinker stretcher, TiG etc. Going to look at this as a long term project but will also make and keep templates, jigs etc.

2 hours ago, Jase said:

Thanks Stuart, yep good with an English wheel, shrinker stretcher, TiG etc. Going to look at this as a long term project but will also make and keep templates, jigs etc.

In that case see if someone can lend you one to get the contours as that would help (most people dont tend to use them anyway and theyre just sat in their garage/shed/loft!)

Stuart.

Thanks, I am hoping once the meets are up and running I can do that otherwise I will work from the backlight and probably design mine own. Thanks Stuart.

58 minutes ago, Upriis said:

How about a 2 piece top?

think it’s the correct colour for yours?

That's very interesting, I don't think I could live with the split in the middle. I'm up for the challenge of making an ali one just need to order a backlight now.

11 hours ago, Jase said:

That's very interesting, I don't think I could live with the split in the middle. I'm up for the challenge of making an ali one just need to order a backlight now.

If you want your backlight to look like an original then buy the parts separately and grind the window lip down to 10mm, buy an uncut poly window and trim that to the size of an original glass and then fit headling kit and fit the window with an original style rubber.

Like this

Stuart.

516248772_IMG_0009_1200x880-Copy.thumb.jpg.6e5c1bd66135bc60c900e513bd6466c5.jpg

As opposed to this.

1129046393_Surreytopandbacklight003.thumb.jpg.47ff8906a4caa99775a3881fcc387fc4.jpg

• 8 months later...

So my Honeybourne arrived at last. I just want to make absolutely sure before I take a cutting tool to it, that for a 4a the 2 studs nearest the door end (see attached) need to be removed (ie won't fit the 4a narrower wasted deck section). Also, what is supposed to happen re connection at the top of the B Post where there is threaded hole in the top of the post, how is the front end of the backlight secured to the body?

Many thanks

David

Screenshot 2020-04-03 at 19.16.20.png

Yes you need to remove the front two studs that are for a 4 with original deck extensions. Careful use of angle grinder. The front fittings on the "B" post are 1/4" UNF studs and your deck extensions hopefully will have the captive nuts welded in, if not rivnuts are the usual solution. See here item 20 Hardtop

Stuart.