A bit of rust.... How bad?

Hi Folks,

I was doing a bit of tidying-up underneath today - somehow a postponed activity from autumn 19.... Anyway, all was in pretty good shape but then i did some brushing on a suspicious area near the left trailing arm.  The picture shows what happened next.

So that's perforations to the right of the trailing arm nut, where the floor pan turns down at the inner sill(?).  To the left of the trailing arm nut it's fresh air about 1cm wide ad 3cm long.  Frustratingly the trailing arm bolt heads both point at the diff and so i cannot drop the arm easily for better access.

It feels to me like some form of L-bracket might be required, after appropriate preparation.  I guess this is a pretty common issue so very grateful for any words of advice and general sharing of optimism or fear!

Many thanks

David

IMG-9014.jpg

Hi David,

I have just done the same repair on my 4A.  As it is, it is an MOT failure if the bottom of the 'B' post has a seat belt attachment.

I ended up replacing a section of the lower edge of the wheel arch  2" x 5". A section of floor   5" x 4". A section of the outer sill and the sill closing plate.

In your case I would be tempted to remove the trailing arm to give room to understand and sort it.

Roger

37 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi David,

I have just done the same repair on my 4A.  As it is, it is an MOT failure if the bottom of the 'B' post has a seat belt attachment.

I ended up replacing a section of the lower edge of the wheel arch  2" x 5". A section of floor   5" x 4". A section of the outer sill and the sill closing plate.

In your case I would be tempted to remove the trailing arm to give room to understand and sort it.

Roger

Many thanks Roger,  yes the B post has a seat belt attachment.  I'll give the trailing arm a go and get that better look - at the moment with just poking around all the rest looks pretty solid so fingers crossed.

cheers

When you drop the trailing arm David take the opportunity for a really close look at the mounting brackets for any incipient cracking, which can occur from the holes where they fit to the chassis outrigger.

Tim