Welcome to the forum Mark. 

Can you give us a bit more detail about the fault?  Did it start at some point during the drive or was it there from starting?  What does this horrendous noise actually sound like and is it there when stationary/neutral or only when driving / in gear?  Does the clutch pedal feel the same as it did before?

Rob

Mark - if it's a 71 CP car,  although I stand to be corrected, that means it should have an A type overdrive which I thought worked on 2nd, 3rd and 4th. J type overdrives worked on 3 and 4th only in original set up - are you sure which type you have?

Regretfully it sounds to me like a serious issue which I wouldn't drive any further - it could be a layshaft bearing failure which has gone on to cause other damage, and the swarf that emanates from that won't do your OD any good, assuming thats OK.

Afraid it sounds like a gearbox out job - you say you have just acquired the car - any potential recourse from the vendor? Just also check the gearbox drain plug hasn't fallen out on the way home and you have run nthe box dry with no oil in it - ouch!

Cheers Rich 

The noise sounds like a major problem, but I have had the jumping out of gear and difficult gear shift synchronizing symptoms after a repair shop refilled my gearbox with GL5 gear oil rather than GL4.

Maybe a good idea to drain the gear oil and see what's in it, then refill with the gear  oil of your choice- there's a lot of opinions on the best gear oil to use posted around on this forum.

1 hour ago, Mark stagg said:

The noise started on the drive,

Sorry - that is a bit ambiguous. Does that mean when standing standing stationary on your driveway or while you were driving ?

Mark - as Rob has asked, I'm assuming the car is stationary with the engine running when you have been describing the latest turn of events, although obviously not the earlier ones on your drive home. If it is, then the noise clearly isn't coming from the drivetrain, as it's not revolving - however, in neutral, the internal parts of the gearbox are, hence the nasty noises and these disappear when the clutch is depressed, as this stops the internal parts of the gearbox revolving so that's where your issue is.

The fact that the clutch appears to be playing up is almost certainly a consequence of whats happening in the gearbox, where I suspect something like a thrust washer or bearing has broken up - this could create a lot of end play within the gearbox and and this is being taken up first when the clutch is depressed, hence why it is going almost to the floor whereas it wasn't before - clutch hydraulic issues don't usually create metallic grating noises and if the clutch had broken up, then I would expect there still to be plenty of noise in neutral, which Mark says, there isn't, so it does point firmly to the box.

Mark - you say you have just purchased this car - has the gearbox recently been rebuilt prior to you buying it? I think I would be discussing this issue with the vendor to try and understand what might have been done prior to you buying it because it is just too coincidental in my view for this to have happened so soon after acquiring the car   - also be good if you could confirm which type of OD is fitted and that there is oil in the unit- there must have been to start with if the overdrive was working at the start of the journey

Cheers Rich

Time to drain the oil to see whats in it.  

With the A-type.....if its engaged and driven in 1st or reverse it will quickly make all sorts of noises, some terminal!  Hope that's not your case.

I'm no expert but have recently torn apart and rebuilt a couple of gearboxes that seem to be doing well in service.    A third, that wasn't worth rebuilding it had so much wear and metal circulating (used it as a spare in the son's daily driver while I rebuilt the one  w OD) but was in service till the end made lots or whirring and other type of noises made while  rotating, but nothing like you're describing.     I hope its a clutch or pressure plate that's out of balance (they do break rivets every now and then).  

If you are not that mechanically inclined find a shop.  If you are, its time to pull the tranny.

All the best.....

It wasn't a new clutch but rather a clutch slave cylinder - I do wonder if that was replaced under the false impression that there was an issue with the clutch, when all the time the issue was starting in the gearbox - time will no doubt tell!

Mark - Let us know how you get on tomorrow - I've sent you a personal message ( a PM) which you may find helpful. If you are not sure about a PM, go to the top right hand corner of a forum page and you will see an envelope icon - beneath that is your Forum mailbox and if you have any unread messages within it, there will be a small red flag adjacent to it - just click on it, and it will open up.

Cheers  Rich