• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What initially was a depressing fault has turned into a bonding and fault finding session with my 15 year old son, so actually enjoying the process.  “When the wind blows, don’t just build shelter, al

So, you're not happy about the Triumph community - if you haven't already done so, and it appears you haven't since March 2016, then why not join the TR Register and add your voice to the club's suppl

FWIW the new repro catches have been strengthened in the area where the hook mounts to the spring plate, the hook on the receiving catch on the bulkhead may need bending forward a little so they all l

Posted Images

Dear everyone on this thread,

Thank you very much for your encouragement and keeping me sane during this process.  I will consolidate everything that’s happened and the part that the Forum played.  I also need to tell EVERYONE what happened.

Hopefully you can see from the picture below, but what happened is the latch mechanism had hooked onto the bolt for the emergency opener !,!

What a nightmare, but feel chuffed it’s fixed now, just need to get a new grill from TRGB ! 

Thank you thank you thank you,

Stephen

045785A1-6A98-4C2E-8A6A-66D2E4655E6C.jpeg

So good that it was a simple issue in the end, thanks for the update and happy TRing!

Gareth

Crazy that the very thing to help open the bonnet actually caused an issue, if the emergency release wasn't there it would been fine. :rolleyes:

Gareth

3 minutes ago, Scotland Director said:

The problem was the latch had caught on the bolt that holds the emergency opener, so the “tool” was a hex spanner taped to a brush handle to puts the latch backwards off the bolt and hey presto open bonnet, phew.

Stephen

I bet that's a relief, although rather ironic that the device that was supposed to avoid this problem was the cause.

I just installed a totally separate wire from the latch into the car via a gap in the bulkhead to use in an emergency.

Good point about the bonnet catch from Neil. I have a flimsy new bonnet catch, because the safety hook had broken off my original. The hook on the new catch bends before you know. I have thought about making my own, not simple. Are good ones available? This should be a fit&forget item, it is not.
Cheers,

Waldi

2 hours ago, DRD said:

I just installed a totally separate wire from the latch into the car via a gap in the bulkhead to use in an emergency.

That's what I've done too.

Nigel

2 hours ago, Casar66 said:

Congratulations!!!

Could it be because of incidents like that my car misses that latch? Or what else could be the reason that the restorer cut the latch off?

Probably the same as mine, the hook is gone. 

If this doesn't make it into the forum section of TR Action I don't know what will! 

Gareth

Edited by Mk2 Chopper

Glad you got there in the end!

Going to check mine when I next build the body up while the engines out.

Andy

1 hour ago, Mk2 Chopper said:

Probably the same as mine, the hook is gone. 

If this doesn't make it into the forum section of TR Action I don't know what will! 

Gareth

My hook is gone as well. Only caused a problem once- when the bonnet sprang open while I was driving home due to a maladjusted plunger and then I had to brake at high speed. I've just made a note to check that  the hook  was replaced next time I see the car.

Is the hook really essential? The restorer of my car made a very good and in depth restoration many years ago. He would never had cut off the hook without any reason and I am wondering why he did so. And what could happen in a worst-case scenario driving without the hook? 

7 minutes ago, Casar66 said:

Is the hook really essential? The restorer of my car made a very good and in depth restoration many years ago. He would never had cut off the hook without any reason and I am wondering why he did so. And what could happen in a worst-case scenario driving without the hook? 

If the main catch works the hook is not needed. If the bonnet springs open and you are driving normally the hook is not needed. If you are driving along and the bonnet springs open and then you have to brake suddenly the bonnet will fly fully open and you have to ease off quickly on the brakes or drive along with the bonnet obstructing your view until you can reduce braking. 

In my case it was quite unnerving because it was sudden and unexpected on a freeway. 

My safety hook was off too. At the time of the restoration I thought It had broken off due to it’s poor design; only supported on one side makes is prone to bending and then a crack. My new repro item bends too easily, even if you lift the bonnet with normal force and forget the hook is there.
Waldi