• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What initially was a depressing fault has turned into a bonding and fault finding session with my 15 year old son, so actually enjoying the process.  “When the wind blows, don’t just build shelter, al

So, you're not happy about the Triumph community - if you haven't already done so, and it appears you haven't since March 2016, then why not join the TR Register and add your voice to the club's suppl

FWIW the new repro catches have been strengthened in the area where the hook mounts to the spring plate, the hook on the receiving catch on the bulkhead may need bending forward a little so they all l

Posted Images

On 5/23/2020 at 11:50 PM, dingle said:

Stephen-maybe try pushing on the underside of the bonnet with a padded stick in the area of the latch while an accomplice operates the latch. Your problem seems more challenging than the usual broken cable. Good luck.

Berry

Thank you, that is sounding like the next thing to do.

1 hour ago, jimcwestie said:

Stephen,

https://www.screwfix.com/p/double-cup-suction-lifter/6299p

I would still be tempted before I drilled a hole in the bulkhead to purchase the above as it might help you pull the bonnet upwards when some releases the lock.

Not my idea and found it in the forum but certainly worth a try.

Best of luck

Jim

Jim,

Wow, that’s a great idea, I have a feeling that the striker is slightly off, so I could perhaps use this to move the bonnet enough to release it.  Full on work this week, so looks like a weekend job, thanks for that.  I’ll be sure to let you know if it works.

regards

Stephen

Hi Stephen

A similar post already above so this might help.

Just a suggestion to help with the problem why not get one of these?  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/C8DC-Universal-6pcs-LED-Lights-USB-Automatic-Computers-Inspection-Camera-7-0MM/303578223245?hash=item46aeac128d:g:r1MAAOSwV49ezALq

Fasten it on a cane and have a good look at what's going on in comfort it may also come in handy to make a plan getting it open. If you can see the catch bolts it might be possible to direct a socket onto them?

Andy

47 minutes ago, PodOne said:

Hi Stephen

A similar post already above so this might help.

Just a suggestion to help with the problem why not get one of these?  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/C8DC-Universal-6pcs-LED-Lights-USB-Automatic-Computers-Inspection-Camera-7-0MM/303578223245?hash=item46aeac128d:g:r1MAAOSwV49ezALq

Fasten it on a cane and have a good look at what's going on in comfort it may also come in handy to make a plan getting it open. If you can see the catch bolts it might be possible to direct a socket onto them?

Andy

Andy, 

That’s a brilliant idea, definitely going to get one, then I can at least work out what’s happening.  And, lots of other stuff that I can do with it later.  Brilliant thanks,

Stephen

Good idea to see what’s going on so you can get to the correct solution.

Last week I had a problem with my drains. Called in Dynorod to clear them. Cleared OK but then they followed on the job by threading a similar but suitable more professional camera down the drains to see cause of blockage. Got some great photos. Seems I have old pitch fibre drain pipe that had distorted over time and need replacing).

Sorry. Couldn’t resist. Thought there were similarities in the thread here!!!!

Best of luck . David B

I am kind of scratching my head over the issue of the auxiliary bonnet latch going over center. I made mine from an article on one of the forums,( it looks identical to the one Moss sells) and there is no way it can go over center. 

Berry

1 hour ago, David B2 said:

Good idea to see what’s going on so you can get to the correct solution.

Last week I had a problem with my drains. Called in Dynorod to clear them. Cleared OK but then they followed on the job by threading a similar but suitable more professional camera down the drains to see cause of blockage. Got some great photos. Seems I have old pitch fibre drain pipe that had distorted over time and need replacing).

Sorry. Couldn’t resist. Thought there were similarities in the thread here!!!!

Best of luck . David B

David,

Great story and thanks for good luck wishes.

Stephen

1 hour ago, dingle said:

I am kind of scratching my head over the issue of the auxiliary bonnet latch going over center. I made mine from an article on one of the forums,( it looks identical to the one Moss sells) and there is no way it can go over center. 

Berry

Berry,

ive been told that the older ones were smaller and could go right over, but the newer ones are bigger and don’t !

Ive ordered a USB camera with led lights, some I’m going to try and see what’s happening up there, better than cutting the bonnet in half to see.

regards

Stephen

13 hours ago, dingle said:

Berry

If it doesnt have the stop bolt then it can if pulled hard quite easily go over centre and past the catch lever hence negating its use.

Stuart.

16 hours ago, dingle said:

Berry

3 hours ago, stuart said:

If it doesnt have the stop bolt then it can if pulled hard quite easily go over centre and past the catch lever hence negating its use.

Stuart.

Stuart,

Thanks for taking your time to try and help me out, appreciate it,

Would I be correct in thinking, if that happened, the actual original cable operated bonnet opener would still work ?  The reason that I ask is I believe my cable still operates correctly, but the bonnet does not open, so that’s the problem that I have.

best regards

Stephen

It depends on how far over its gone as Ive known them be in such a position that its just in front of the catch lever so the cable wont work either. Do you actually get any movement on the cable pull, if you can then pull it out as far as it will go and jam it there with a pair of molegrips then get hold of the front of the bonnet and pushing it rearwards.

Stuart.

3 hours ago, stuart said:

It depends on how far over its gone as Ive known them be in such a position that its just in front of the catch lever so the cable wont work either. Do you actually get any movement on the cable pull, if you can then pull it out as far as it will go and jam it there with a pair of molegrips then get hold of the front of the bonnet and pushing it rearwards.

Stuart.

Stuart,

Thanks again for the response, and why are you in Cornwall and not Edinburgh ?  Anyway, the cable pulls out and appears to move the same distance as it always did,  but that’s hard to be precise as I’m not opening the bonnet every day.  I also hear and feel the mechanism move when my son sits in the car and opens it using both the cable and the emergency opener (both seem to work like normal) and I’m standing over the mechanism applying my ample 95Kg on the bonnet like someone else suggested.  The mole grips part is interesting as when I pull the cable it doesn’t spring back like a modern car does, the cable kind of remains out.  I need to push it back into place ie what I’d call it’s home position.  Does that mean something ? 
Another helpful chap - Andy @PodOne advised to purchase a USB camera and that just arrived, but as I’m working flat out Monday to Friday that’s a job for the weekend, but I’m super interested to see what I can see with this kind of cheapo endoscope.

On 5/23/2020 at 7:22 PM, RogerH said:

Hi Stephen,

the headlights are outside the inner wings that the hinges are attached to.

It has been known to cut a 3" hole immediately below the latch (above the pedals.

Roger

Hi Roger!

Having seen the photo of the latch going over centre I now fully understand what Stuart says! I fitted a Moss one some years ago with no stop screw! I think you need to have a word with Moss to fit a stop screw as standard, using your QA hat? I will be drilling a hole in mine to fit one!

Bruce.

Just fitted a Moss one and it came with a stop bolt of sorts. I did in fact make something more reliable.

Tim

I fitted a Moss one too, it came with a good description if I recall correctly.

Waldi

I encountered problems when fitting a new release cable, when the cable was used to release nothing was happening at the catch end and the cable would only go back if pushed. 

It took me a while but finally figured out what was happening, the cable sleeve was sliding into the pull handle base when pulling cable. 

Since fitted a new one which works perfect and fitted a emergency release as well. 

Just need to fit the bonnet. 

Edited by Mark69

Dear dingle,

Thank you for taking the time to reply to me, I appreciate it.  However unfortunately it’s NOT the cable that’s snapped, the latch is unlatching ok.  The issue seems to be that of the striker being misaligned preventing the bonnet opening once the latch is released.

hope someone can help ?  Please ?

regards

Stephen

Latest update, bonnet still stuck shut.  However, we’ve moved forward a bit.  Endoscope is a brilliant piece of kit, hooked up to my computer and I managed to wiggle it up to the correct position.  I can confirm that the cable is not snapped.  When I pull the cable the latch moves and when I pull the emergency opener the latch also moves.

I wonder if the pivot on the latch is worn and thus does not move significantly to unlatch the plunger ?  

I’m sort of doubting my original theory of the plunger being slightly offset and catching, on something because when the latch moves the plunger doesn’t move at all.

Any ideas for tomorrow’s efforts ?

Thanks Andy @PodOne

regards

Stephen

If the plunger is too far forward and is catching under the leading edge, the latch movement won't have any effect, if this is the case perhaps pushing the bonnet rearwards might help?

OK. back to basics.

When you say, "Last time I was under the bonnet and noticed this mechanism wasn’t secure as the bolts were loose.  So, I thought, good principle would be to tighten them up", are you referring to the bulkhead bolts or the bonnet bolts?

Is the bonnet still hard down on the cones or has it raised at all?

Hi, I seems to me you have exhausted most of the tried and tested methods of release, so some how you now need to get at and loosen the front bonnet hinges, as someone said earlier, dead easy on a 4 or 5, not sure if just removing the headlights and inner bowl works on a 6, though I'm sure you can get to some of them this way.

Cheers Rob