I replaced my original one, which was missing the hook this month, with one from  The Roadster Factory (USA).

From the picture of an original one a few posts prior, this looks pretty close in design. 

it was labeled as "made in Taiwan". First picture is comparison of what was left of original compared to the repop. bits

I made sure all parts  lined up, and always release hood approximately 1 foot above catch for closing. works great...so far.

hood 3.jpg

hood 2.jpg

hood 1.jpg

Edited by Atl TR6
correction
  • Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What initially was a depressing fault has turned into a bonding and fault finding session with my 15 year old son, so actually enjoying the process.  “When the wind blows, don’t just build shelter, al

So, you're not happy about the Triumph community - if you haven't already done so, and it appears you haven't since March 2016, then why not join the TR Register and add your voice to the club's suppl

FWIW the new repro catches have been strengthened in the area where the hook mounts to the spring plate, the hook on the receiving catch on the bulkhead may need bending forward a little so they all l

Posted Images

Hi Alt,
It looks different in design from the one I have and is not having a stiffening gusset (angulated) which would further strenghten it. I think the moment after releasing the bonnet cable And the bonnet jumps up is the highest load. Here the Entire bonnet is stopped by the hook when it is stopped. Can you measure the thickness of the materials used with a calliper? Will measure mine too.

Cheers,

Waldi

10 hours ago, michaeldavis39 said:

So I have joined the club just waiting for something for my membership - no idea what I'm getting but I'm paid up. Now back to this bracket what we going to do about it 44 years and it's still no good. Waldi you are always having a go at making things or improving things do you think you can put right this weak design? Did I read it right that you have put in a complaint to the parts people , what happens next. Can I do something to have a look at getting this part made properly I don't know but if someone can come up with a solution to how this should be made stronger safer and more reliable then I'm all ears- I live in the North East we have fabrication shops, 3d scanners injection moulders( not needed for this part I wouldn't think) all that would be needed to either make brackets from scratch or improve upon the existing perhaps.

Michael

Good you joined as a member too Michael.

PQI:
The PQI process is described on the main web site. My personal experience is limited but good: After I had an issue with a component couple of years and I felt it was not addressed properly by the supplier I submitted the form with sufficient data. It was a problem with a front damper that was sold by several suppliers. I got feedback from the PQI team that one supplier addressed this properly, two others did not. So since then that one supplier is my preferred supplier.

Bonnet bracket:
I will have a look this winter if/how I can re-inforce my existing bracket, am not going to design a new one. Will let you know the outcome.

Cheers,
Waldi

Have issued a PQI form at TR-Register main website.

Thickness of my bracket is 1,5 mm.
The catch measures 2,3 mm, so a bit thicker.

Waldi

Waldi,

Just measured my original bracket and catch and both measure 2.08 mm. I must have been lucky and have never had a problem in 42 years of ownership.

Best of luck in finding a solution

Derek

Thank you Derek,

For those who are interested in the effect:
A reduction in thickness from 2,08 to 1.5 mm may seem small, but the impact of thickness on bending stresses is to the 2nd power, so an increase by a factor 1.92. 
My new item can be bent easily sidewards, which will result in a fracture from low- cycle fatigue probably, as seen on my own bracket and others.

A gusset (or better two-) will improve things. I will “chew” on it:)

Cheers,

Waldi

10 hours ago, Waldi said:

Hi Alt,
It looks different in design from the one I have and is not having a stiffening gusset (angulated) which would further strenghten it. I think the moment after releasing the bonnet cable And the bonnet jumps up is the highest load. Here the Entire bonnet is stopped by the hook when it is stopped. Can you measure the thickness of the materials used with a calliper? Will measure mine too.

Cheers,

Waldi

here you go.  I could only accurately measure this without taking unit off.

The bracket portion appears a little thinner....but appeared the same thickness as original when i had them side by side. 

Did you notice the  couple of reinforcement spots in the crease of where the bracket  bends out. it probably strengthens some, but would still be less than an added  gusset. 

hood 4.jpg

Thanks Alt,
so the catch is only marginal thicker at 2.42 mm, but the bracket looks thicker. You could measure it with a vernier calliper at the lip that stops the catch.

Looks thicker than 1.5 mm...

The 2 dents are indeed made for reinforcing, I think, but indeed are less effective than a gusset.

Cheers,
Waldi

Hi

The TRF looks a good replacement. In the press shop where I used to work the  reinforcing 'spots' are known as 'bird beaks' & are commonly used to strengthen metal stampings without the added cost of welding a gusset. It won't be as good as a welded gusset but should be 'fit for purpose' especially if good quality steel is used (another factor with reproduction parts) Just measured my original catch at 2.35mm & like the others on here it doesn't have bird beaks or a gusset.

So it would seem the TRF item is an improvement over original - I have used several of their items & have generally found them to be of good quality. Their price v quality is generally positive, unfortunately postage for anything from the states to Uk or Europe is not! My son lives in the US so I tend to stock up on goodies whenever I visit him.

Alan 

On 7/19/2020 at 12:00 PM, Mike C said:

Hope the MOT goes well. The thin copper foil we would call in Australia a copper backing strip. I had the opportunity to install my replacement bonnet catch with a hook over the weekend (CV19 lockdown and all that).

The replacement's hook fouled the emergency release requiring some rework. After reading some of the stuck bonnet  postings I was paranoid about anything on the catch fouling.

Hopefully my mishap helped you in some small way !

On 7/21/2020 at 8:48 AM, Waldi said:

Hi Alt,

Cheers,

Waldi

Hi Waldi,

Atl's latch and Andrews latch (Monday 20th post)  are the same as mine (been fitted for the last 22 years). 

I have a feeling that the sheet was reduced in thickness at some stage making it weaker.

The fillet (Gusset) was then added to assist the thinner material.

Roger

Hi Roger,
that could well be the case. A thinner material bends much easier, but also the pin does not have much to “grip” on, Even more as the sheet metal is flexing in that area. So is could be an “and-and-and” -case. Can you measure your bracket support material (not the catch) please?

Waldi

Hi DRD (forgot your name, sorry),
yours is different from mine (and many others) that have failed and supposedly to be stronger as reported above, which is again confirmed by you:)
It does not have the 4 small Indents that have to keep It in place, and probably also a thicker or better material bracket.

Cheers,

Waldi

8 minutes ago, Waldi said:

Hi DRD (forgot your name, sorry),
yours is different from mine (and many others) that have failed and supposedly to be stronger as reported above, which is again confirmed by you:)
It does not have the 4 small Indents that have to keep It in place, and probably also a thicker or better material bracket.

Cheers,

Waldi

Thanks Waldi!

Darren

On 7/20/2020 at 10:33 PM, michaeldavis39 said:

So I have joined the club just waiting for something for my membership - no idea what I'm getting but I'm paid up. Now back to this bracket what we going to do about it 44 years and it's still no good. Waldi you are always having a go at making things or improving things do you think you can put right this weak design? Did I read it right that you have put in a complaint to the parts people , what happens next. Can I do something to have a look at getting this part made properly I don't know but if someone can come up with a solution to how this should be made stronger safer and more reliable then I'm all ears- I live in the North East we have fabrication shops, 3d scanners injection moulders( not needed for this part I wouldn't think) all that would be needed to either make brackets from scratch or improve upon the existing perhaps.

Michael

Hey Michael,

Just checking that you received everything that you should and has a Group Leader contacted you to welcome you to the club ?  If not, then please let me know and I’ll help push things through for you.  Normally everything flows through quickly, but with The Pandemic and people working from home things might be taking a bit longer.

Anyway, welcome to the TR Register and I hope you enjoy meeting new like minded friends.

regards

Stephen

Hi Michael,

I submitted a PQI and Roger and Ian (Cvtrain) will follow up and inform the suppliers. The good ones obviously will take action. I will receive feedback on their action, and I will ask if I can share (hope so); if not, I will off course resect that.
I have properly spot welded the pin on my poor quality one, it still holds. Plan to install a 2nd gusset this winter, because the bracket still flexes due to the thinner material. If new good ones become available, I will buy another one, since this one would need re-plating (personal choice) which is probably as expensive if I only have one item.

Waldi