3 minutes ago, ntc said:

Then trgb told you wrong not only that the safety catch would have bent outward as you closed the bonnet as it would have missed the loop catch 

I think the bolt being outwards was my fault, can’t blame TRGB for that, but it actually works ok.  If the bolt had been the other way then that catch wouldn’t have caught it and I wouldn’t have learned as much as I did over the last couple of weeks !

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What initially was a depressing fault has turned into a bonding and fault finding session with my 15 year old son, so actually enjoying the process.  “When the wind blows, don’t just build shelter, al

So, you're not happy about the Triumph community - if you haven't already done so, and it appears you haven't since March 2016, then why not join the TR Register and add your voice to the club's suppl

FWIW the new repro catches have been strengthened in the area where the hook mounts to the spring plate, the hook on the receiving catch on the bulkhead may need bending forward a little so they all l

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Since the bonnet catch was lastly mentioned here I thought it would be good to share my experience with a new bonnet catch. My old safety catch had broken off so I ordered a new one. Installation and alignment were straight forward, but I noted the safety catch was very easily vent, so I was very carefull with it, and every time I opened the bonnet, the catch restrained (limited the vertical travel), all normal, but this made the round pin that holds the safety catch bend out slowly until it fell off yesterday. The pin is only connected to the rest of the part by four indents in the pin, see picture. A very poor quality part, again. It still puzzles me why such poor components are supplied, where a mire robust solution can be made for the sane cost.
I will see what the supplier says. 
Waldiimage.thumb.jpeg.d0d5d278e8f0b167ec8893de90729bdb.jpeg

Edited by Waldi
Added picture
49 minutes ago, Waldi said:

Since the bonnet catch was lastly mentioned here I thought it would be good to share my experience with a new bonnet catch. My old safety catch had broken off so I ordered a new one. Installation and alignment were straight forward, but I noted the safety catch was very easily vent, so I was very carefull with it, and every time I opened the bonnet, the catch restrained (limited the vertical travel), all normal, but this made the round pin that holds the safety catch bend out slowly until it fell off yesterday. The pin is only connected to the rest of the part by four indents in the pin, see picture. A very poor quality part, again. It still puzzles me why such poor components are supplied, where a mire robust solution can be made for the sane cost.
I will see what the supplier says. 
Waldiimage.thumb.jpeg.d0d5d278e8f0b167ec8893de90729bdb.jpeg

Yes I peen them over properly before use if theyre that bad.

Stuart.

I don't get the suppliers thinking when a couple of pence or them specifying the correct OEM spec to the suppliers would gain them loyal customers.

Think I'll have a look at my new one as well and drill it out and use a nut and bolt if it will allow and beef up the hook to stop it bending as it looks a bit weak at the top end.

The impact on this poor connection will try to bend the pin downwards and once I “fix“ it I cannot return it so first I will contact the supplier.

Waldi

Waldi's pin isn't even staked properly. The original part has that pin connection formed over  in a press.

I don't like repro parts and after noticing by bonnet lock had no safety catch I had to import a second hand original part from the US. This cost twice as much in postage as the part cost but I've had very poor experience with repro parts .

Edited by Mike C
12 hours ago, PodOne said:

I don't get the suppliers thinking when a couple of pence or them specifying the correct OEM spec to the suppliers would gain them loyal customers.

Think I'll have a look at my new one as well and drill it out and use a nut and bolt if it will allow and beef up the hook to stop it bending as it looks a bit weak at the top end.

The latest repros have a triangulated bracket for the safety hook so not as flimsy as they once were. Drilling and tapping that pin for a 2BA screw and washer works well too.

Stuart.

7 hours ago, stuart said:

The latest repros have a triangulated bracket for the safety hook so not as flimsy as they once were. Drilling and tapping that pin for a 2BA screw and washer works well too.

Stuart.

+1 Bruce

2 hours ago, Waldi said:

This is what mine looks like:

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/safety-catch-bonnet-619580.html?assoc=123629

Does this have a triangulated bracket (not sure what that means).

Thanks,

Waldi

Same as mine Waldi mine bent where the mounting plate to the bonnet extends to the hook. I think that's what needs triangulating to beef it up to stop it twisting/bending. 

Anyone got a pictures or the two types?

Andy

Aha, so triangulating is similar as “gusseting”. Learning all the time;)

Yes, so two things needed:

A decent connection from pin to plate.

A triangulated corner.

Have informed supplier yesterday, will await his response.

I was at a local Dutch supplier, he had a new catch, So I drove there (getting wiser) but unfortunately it was exactly the same poor quality item on both aspects.

Waldi

2 hours ago, Waldi said:

A triangulated corner.

I was at a local Dutch supplier, he had a new catch, So I drove there (getting wiser) but unfortunately it was exactly the same poor quality item on both aspects.

Waldi

Stuart has a good answer to that problem! But it needs to be checked by Roger our QA man that we do not have the same problem here in the UK. I hope that we have the later type with the indented corner. I still have the original type which is easily bent.

Bruce.

14 hours ago, Waldi said:

This is what mine looks like:

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/safety-catch-bonnet-619580.html?assoc=123629

Does this have a triangulated bracket (not sure what that means).

Thanks,

Waldi

That one does have a triangulated bracket .

Stuart.

image.thumb.png.21d2c771b02f38a08c44f0022a733b46.png

Thank you Bruce and Stuart,
my new bracket does not have this, it is triangulated, but bot welded to make this effective.

The supplier has send me a quick response and will supply a new bracket FOC. He was aware of the issue, so I appreciate his honest feedback.I made a recommendation to him on how to improve the bracket and pin-attachment.

Below is my bracket, it is not welded in the corner.

A CAUTION TO OTHERS ORDERING THIS PART:
Check with the supplier if his brackets are improved version or not.

Regards,

Waldi

image.thumb.jpeg.ec204129be2b85979f6da16a80f0cd62.jpeg

34 minutes ago, Mike C said:

Waldi , just as well you noticed that-  obviously  the gusset won't work unless it's welded. I hate repro parts.

Hi Mike,

to be honest I’m glad we do have them. Without these reproductions maintaining our cars, let alone a restoration, is impossible. It is the lack of quality control that is an often arising issue. But quality control comes at a price.
An important part is to provide feedback to the suppliers, the TR Register PQI is a valuable tool for this. 
My individual issue is solved to my satisfaction, but I bet there are many poorly fabricated brackets on the shelves.

Best regards,

Waldi

59 minutes ago, Waldi said:

Hi Mike,

to be honest I’m glad we do have them. Without these reproductions maintaining our cars, let alone a restoration, is impossible. It is the lack of quality control that is an often arising issue. But quality control comes at a price.
An important part is to provide feedback to the suppliers, the TR Register PQI is a valuable tool for this. 
My individual issue is solved to my satisfaction, but I bet there are many poorly fabricated brackets on the shelves.

Best regards,

Waldi

I know but I wish the repro parts community would get the message that today's TR owners are prepared to pay good money for quality parts. By the time you factor in installation costs the difference in price  between shoddy and quality parts is negligible.

Most of us take pride in the standard of workmanship  used on our vehicles and I for one never question the price of a part if I know it's from a supplier known for its quality. But I guess my standards were set in a world that existed before ebay and Amazon.

Hi Mike,

in our perfect world that would be the case. But probably like many I found out the hard way that also suppliers that claim to have the best parts available, sell the same items. Some sell “good” and how could they do different....As an example: how many companies are actually fabricating this bonnet catch? I bet just one. So a major difference for me is how they deal with issues.
If I get parts from my local general car parts store, that’s where I go, but often not possible.
Cheers,
Waldi

I had the opposite problem, my bonnet kept popping open. My bonnet latch was missing the safety hook so ordered a new one. When fitted the hook didn’t locate with the latch plate. Tried to bend it slightly to line up and it just fell to pieces, so back to having no safety hook. My popping bonnet turned out to be the poor quality of the pattern latch plate. The spring was so weak it wouldn’t return the mechanisms properly. Managed to get hold of an original one, cleaned it up and sprayed it.........perfect.

16 hours ago, Waldi said:

A triangulated corner.

Waldi

Waldi

You can't beat a nice gusset! 

Andy

4 hours ago, Chris Seymour said:

I had the opposite problem, my bonnet kept popping open. My bonnet latch was missing the safety hook so ordered a new one. When fitted the hook didn’t locate with the latch plate. Tried to bend it slightly to line up and it just fell to pieces, so back to having no safety hook. My popping bonnet turned out to be the poor quality of the pattern latch plate. The spring was so weak it wouldn’t return the mechanisms properly. Managed to get hold of an original one, cleaned it up and sprayed it.........perfect.

I noticed my safety hook was missing when I checked after this discussion started. I don't buy repro stuff if I can get original but coronavirus has closed my local TR wreckers and vintage swap meets are out of the question. I was lucky to source an original catch from the US -   postage was a bit much but it still came in at around the cost of a repro part.

Edited by Mike C