• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What initially was a depressing fault has turned into a bonding and fault finding session with my 15 year old son, so actually enjoying the process.  “When the wind blows, don’t just build shelter, al

So, you're not happy about the Triumph community - if you haven't already done so, and it appears you haven't since March 2016, then why not join the TR Register and add your voice to the club's suppl

FWIW the new repro catches have been strengthened in the area where the hook mounts to the spring plate, the hook on the receiving catch on the bulkhead may need bending forward a little so they all l

Posted Images

21 hours ago, Scotland Director said:

I actually got my latch from TRGB and I initially thought that it would be on the outside, but is was “bent” the opposite way.  I’m checking with TRGB as I’m not sure now.

This one ? did the instructions say to fit it like you have yours? https://www.trgb.co.uk/collections/all-parts/products/tr4-6-secondary-bonnet-release

On 6/6/2020 at 4:15 PM, Scotland Director said:

Dear everyone on this thread,

Thank you very much for your encouragement and keeping me sane during this process.  I will consolidate everything that’s happened and the part that the Forum played.  I also need to tell EVERYONE what happened.

Hopefully you can see from the picture below, but what happened is the latch mechanism had hooked onto the bolt for the emergency opener !,!

What a nightmare, but feel chuffed it’s fixed now, just need to get a new grill from TRGB ! 

Thank you thank you thank you,

Stephen

045785A1-6A98-4C2E-8A6A-66D2E4655E6C.jpeg

Stephen,

Along with many others I have followed the saga and say well done for successful outcome.

Am impressed with the photo. Was it really taken using the £9 USB Camera gizmo as identified in may 25th posts by you and PodOne? And with the latch on its stuck position it must be with the bonnet down using the LED lights. If so I must get one.

David B

On 6/7/2020 at 8:29 AM, Mike C said:

My hook is gone as well. Only caused a problem once- when the bonnet sprang open while I was driving home due to a maladjusted plunger and then I had to brake at high speed. I've just made a note to check that  the hook  was replaced next time I see the car.

I had a chance to look for the safety hook today. It's not there ! I don't know if a PO has removed it or Triumph made early CP's that way- I've seen other cars with no safety hook.

Anyway, to avoid any future excitement when braking hard I need to find and fit a second hand latch with a hook, or failing that get a repro one

100_7441.JPG

21 minutes ago, Mike C said:

I had a chance to look for the safety hook today. It's not there ! I don't know if a PO has removed it or Triumph made early CP's that way- I've seen other cars with no safety hook.

Anyway, to avoid any future excitement when braking hard I need to find and fit a second hand latch with a hook, or failing that get a repro one

100_7441.JPG

Its just broken off as many have, the repro ones for a long time were very poor at that point and after not a lot of use they would break off for a past time. The current ones from Moss have a re-enforcing web to strengthen them. They do need careful setting up to match correctly with the hook on the catch itself.

Stuart.

They do need careful setting up to match correctly with the hook on the catch itself.

and if not come back here again.

This is exactly what I am afraid of. To get a new one, make a (little) mistake while fitting it and find myself in the same situation like the topic starter.

Just now, Casar66 said:

This is exactly what I am afraid of. To get a new one, make a (little) mistake while fitting it and find myself in the same situation like the topic starter.

If you take your time about setting the catch up they are an efficient system. As Neil has stated get the bonnet cones at the rear of the drip rails correct first so the bonnet sits in the right place Then set the catch up with the bonnet pull all the way out and held with a pair of mole grips so there`s no interference.

Stuart.

5 minutes ago, Casar66 said:

To be totally fail safe, remove grille and cardboard cover thing and get a USB camera/light before you start.

The usual reason for bonnet being stuck was the cable, hence the emergency release. The op had an unusual one because he'd tightened something up and the incorrectly fitted emergency release by the cars previous owner (s). 

Careful checking and alignment will make it function correctly. 

Gareth

On 6/7/2020 at 9:08 AM, John L said:

Great you managed to get it open, but I think your emergency unlocking catch is on the wrong side of the main bracket, and fitted with a small headed bolt, also fit a stop bolt as well, not shown in this picture.

John

TR6 bonnet catch.jpg

Hi John,

Your release is fitted as I have done? I cannot get my head around how it has been fitted in the other photo where the hook is stuck on the bolt. The construction of that bonnet catch plate assembly looks different to my car, mine is original!  

Bruce.

Bruce,  I think the leg you are referring to, is the bonnet stop catch is caught on the bolt that holds the emergency catch and the bolt is fitted the wrong way, as is the catch lever is on the inside of the main catch bracket, does that make sense now?

Well done Stephen. I nearly joined in several times but each time somebody had beaten me to the idea I had came up with. It was like being part of a soap opera following this saga. Brilliant outcome. I look forward to the article.

Mick

3 hours ago, John L said:

Bruce,  I think the leg you are referring to, is the bonnet stop catch is caught on the bolt that holds the emergency catch and the bolt is fitted the wrong way, as is the catch lever is on the inside of the main catch bracket, does that make sense now?

Thanks , I understand now!

Bruce.

Hi Steve,

Have you access to one of those dual suction cups used for handling plate glass?

May be possible to attach to the bonnet and use the leverage available to shoogle the bonnet back and forwards / side to side.

An alternative to driving over a cobbled road. All the best in sorting your problem.

John

16 hours ago, John McLennan said:

Hi Steve,

Have you access to one of those dual suction cups used for handling plate glass?

May be possible to attach to the bonnet and use the leverage available to shoogle the bonnet back and forwards / side to side.

An alternative to driving over a cobbled road. All the best in sorting your problem.

John

I think you're a bit late to the party mate. Bonnet is open...

Gareth

Stephen,

Looking at your picture you posted with the catch, looking at the steering shaft, doesn't look as if its far enough in the rubber coupling, there should be a cut out in the splines where the top bolt should anchor the shaft, if you compare the photo of the Saffron shaft picture.  I may be wrong but it would be worth a look perhaps?

Did you get info from TRGB about the bend in the emergency catch? or did I miss it perhaps.

John

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/11/2020 at 12:38 PM, John L said:

Stephen,

Looking at your picture you posted with the catch, looking at the steering shaft, doesn't look as if its far enough in the rubber coupling, there should be a cut out in the splines where the top bolt should anchor the shaft, if you compare the photo of the Saffron shaft picture.  I may be wrong but it would be worth a look perhaps?

Did you get info from TRGB about the bend in the emergency catch? or did I miss it perhaps.

John

John, thanks for that mate, I’ll add that to the ever increasing list of stuff to do.  Also, TRGB to.d me that some people do fit it on the inside so it’s not necessarily wrong the way it was fitted.

Stephen

On 6/10/2020 at 6:16 PM, John McLennan said:

Hi Steve,

John

John

Thanks for your offer of help.  The catch had hooked onto a bolt, so it was grill off and give it a good old push with a broom handle.  Low tech solution to a low tech problem.

Stephen

On 6/9/2020 at 5:45 PM, Mick Forey said:

Well done Stephen. I nearly joined in several times but each time somebody had beaten me to the idea I had came up with. It was like being part of a soap opera following this saga. Brilliant outcome. I look forward to the article.

Mick

Mick,

What a saga, but honestly the help from the forum has been unbelievable.  The love pouring out from it kept me going.  Let’s just say the article will be called “should it go or should it stay”.

Have a great weekend, hope not too much house building stuff to be done ?

Stephen

On 6/8/2020 at 8:08 PM, David B2 said:

Stephen,

Along with many others I have followed the saga and say well done for successful outcome.

Am impressed with the photo. Was it really taken using the £9 USB Camera gizmo as identified in may 25th posts by you and PodOne? And with the latch on its stuck position it must be with the bonnet down using the LED lights. If so I must get one.

David B

Haha, thanks for your compliment.  The forum kept me going through a bit of a wobbly moment for me.  The picture was from my iPhone, the USB camera was superb, but the picture quality wasn’t as good as this.  But, I would honestly recommend buying USB camera with LED lights on the end, super cheap and a great useful tool.

Who knew a computer was a useful diagnostic for TRs 

Stephen

D1DE4FD3-9ADB-4D80-8E3F-87FDCECAC8DA.jpeg

Stephen, regarding the tool.. I see an allen wrench attached to something with electrical tape and a wire tie. What is the pole part of that tool ?

FYI I have one of these https://www.amazon.com/DEPSTECH-Waterproof-Inspection-Megapixels-Smartphone/dp/B01MYTHWK4

It uses an app that runs on a phone or tablet so is very portable. I use it for all kinds of projects around the house and in the garage.

Edited to ask if you could post a picture of how that emergency release was fitted as we are all puzzled.

Stan

Edited by foster461
4 hours ago, foster461 said:

Stephen, regarding the tool.. I see an allen wrench attached to something with electrical tape and a wire tie. What is the pole part of that tool ?

FYI I have one of these https://www.amazon.com/DEPSTECH-Waterproof-Inspection-Megapixels-Smartphone/dp/B01MYTHWK4

It uses an app that runs on a phone or tablet so is very portable. I use it for all kinds of projects around the house and in the garage.

Edited to ask if you could post a picture of how that emergency release was fitted as we are all puzzled.

Stan

Stan,

The tool was a brush with an Allen key on the end to push the catch off of the bolt (fitted the wrong way round).

The USB camera we used connected to the computer and was ok, seems weird though using a PC to help fix a TR.

The emergency release was fitted on the inside of the mechanism it seemed to me that the release mechanism was bent in such a way that it was meant to be on the inside, but TRGB told me it could go on outside or inside.  I’ll nip into the garage and post a picture for you.

Stephen

17 minutes ago, Scotland Director said:

Stan,

The tool was a brush with an Allen key on the end to push the catch off of the bolt (fitted the wrong way round).

The USB camera we used connected to the computer and was ok, seems weird though using a PC to help fix a TR.

The emergency release was fitted on the inside of the mechanism it seemed to me that the release mechanism was bent in such a way that it was meant to be on the inside, but TRGB told me it could go on outside or inside.  I’ll nip into the garage and post a picture for you.

Stephen

12FE8596-9912-4A87-B356-83F98A42ADBB.jpeg