Exhaust gasket, and manifold paint.

Hi all

looking for some assistance please.

I have to replace the exhaust gasket on my 72 TR6 (injection).

Was wondering if anyone had a recommendation on the best gasket and supplier for same, and if I can/should paint the manifold while I have it off.

This would purely be for esthetics, as it’s obviously rusty. Any recommendations on a high temperature paint, or if I should bother at all and leave well enough alone.

many thanks as always

Kevin

Hi there, I have a twin sports exhaust set up on my TR6. The manifold is really two 3:1 systems. Last year I had the head fitted with hardened seats. When I refitted the head, I missed the opportunity to do a proper job and either to paint the manifolds myself or have them professionally painted with the system that retains the heat, effectively an upgrade to allow the gases to flow faster. I simply rewrapped mine with some wrap I bought on eBay. This was a tricky task and ended up not been very pretty. Once installed and engine running, the wrap showed its real worth by being quite fragile! So In the absence of any high temperature paint, my recommendation is if funds allow get them professionally painted. They’ll look good too! 

I've found Payen JA510 gaskets are the best for the inlet/exhaust manifold joint but they are getting hard to find now. Some gaskets appear to be little morecthan grey cardboard - avoid!

If you can't get the Payen version, go to a reputable supplier and buy the best he offers.

Sorry, can't advise on paint.

Nigel

Kevin,

I grot blasted my cast manifold and painted it with a high temperature silver from a rattle can. I used VHT.

Waldi

I used a high temp paint on my manifold a couple of years ago,my 6 still in garage undergoing full resto.car as been started a few times and driven up and down drive two maybe three times. Paint as already Started flaking off.

On 5/25/2020 at 7:04 AM, Nigel Triumph said:

I've found Payen JA510 gaskets are the best for the inlet/exhaust manifold joint but they are getting hard to find now. Some gaskets appear to be little morecthan grey cardboard - avoid!

If you can't get the Payen version, go to a reputable supplier and buy the best he offers.

Sorry, can't advise on paint.

Nigel

A company called Heritage Gaskets Ltd took all the old stock from J Payen some years ago, all of which were made by Coopers who were the OEM to BL. J Payen used to belong to Coopers. Contact details:

73 Whitby Road Slough, SL1 3DR tel ;01753, 537799. I know that they still have stocks of JA510?

Bruce.

I have tried many times to contact this company without success, they don't answer emails or the phone even before all the mess.

Its a pity as they are ones I'm looking for!  Even if to say no stock, he doesn't seem bothered to check, so presume they don't have any more.

John

10 minutes ago, astontr6 said:

A company called Heritage Gaskets Ltd took all the old stock from J Payen some years ago, all of which were made by Coopers who were the OEM to BL. J Payen used to belong to Coopers. Contact details:

73 Whitby Road Slough, SL1 3DR tel ;01753, 537799. I know that they still have stocks of JA510?

Bruce.

Hi Bruce,

Thank you. However, I've tried ordering from Heritage Gaskets last month... the checkout on their website didn't work so I tried phoning and got no reply, like John above. Messages weren't returned either. I hope this is a blip during lockdown and Heritage will be back, as they do have a great stock of classic car gaskets, but John's experience suggests otherwise.

Nigel

They posted accounts in Dec 2019 so it may just be they aren't open. They only show one contact and he's mid 70s in age so could be a number of reasons response and information difficult to get, I should be patient and try them again in near future or buy elsewhere if you can't wait.

Mick Richards. 

1 hour ago, Nigel Triumph said:

Hi Bruce,

Thank you. However, I've tried ordering from Heritage Gaskets last month... the checkout on their website didn't work so I tried phoning and got no reply, like John above. Messages weren't returned either. I hope this is a blip during lockdown and Heritage will be back, as they do have a great stock of classic car gaskets, but John's experience suggests otherwise.

Nigel

Now there is another company called: Vintage & Collectors Car Spares, they often have old J Payen stock, this where my last JA510 came from! contact details: Beltoft House, Beltoft , North Lincs. DN9 1NE. Tel:01724 784230- Telephone/Fax/answering mc.----John Davis. He also does engine parts like shells and pistons. I hope you have better luck this time?

Bruce.

Re manifolds and paint, I use Sperex VHT aerosols which you can usually get at Eurocarparts in a number of colours and wait for their best discount offers.

I get the manifold sandblasted and then spray it immediately afterwards - then you must cure it within I think it is 10 hours and if it's not on the car then thats a bit more difficult. Off the car, the curing process needs about 1.5 to 2 hours raising the temperature in even increments from 125 degrees up to 225 over the period - it doesn't stink too much during curing so I put it on a rack in the oven and give her a nice bottle of wine!! It usually works ( thats the wine , not the curing!!!)

cheers  Rich 

• 3 weeks later...

Heritage gaskets is now up and running again, they have had terrible trouble with the phone lines and internet, I ordered some last week and arrived very quickly, they are using another email address while things are sorted, not sure I should post emails on here but if anybody wants it please send a PM and I will gladly pass on the mail address.

John

• 3 months later...

Hi Kevin

If you want the ultimate long lasting and heat insolation then contact Zicotec https://www.zircotec.com/ not cheap but the best IMO. I've had quite a few turbo housings, inlet and exhaust manifolds and downpipes done in the past and it really makes a difference in reducing under bonnet temperatures and intake temperatures. More for race applications perhaps but more long lasting than any paint if you want to do it once.

Andy

On 10/3/2020 at 3:50 PM, Dave McDonald said:

Kevin,

Do you have a reference part number for that Bastuck manifold gasket and supplier details please.

Dave McD

I would also be interested to have Bastuck gasket suppliers contact details please.

Nigel

12 hours ago, Nigel Triumph said:

I would also be interested to have Bastuck gasket suppliers contact details please.

Nigel

Not wishing to state the obvious but why not try here https://www.bastuck.de/gb/classic/triumph/

Stuart.

3 hours ago, stuart said:

Not wishing to state the obvious but why not try here https://www.bastuck.de/gb/classic/triumph/

Stuart.

I wondered if perhaps there are any UK stockists, as there are with other Bastuck parts e.g. their alloy water pump housing. Of course, mail ordering a gasket from Germany shouldn't be a problem.

Nigel

I had the same problem, but since have ordered head and manifold gaskets, not bad price either.  As posted earlier they had problems with the internet and phones.

The website is not up to date with the prices, and you have to phone to pay.

This is their alternative address  Barry Rothwell,   atlasautoparts@aol.com    This was back in June this year.   Let me know is you don't succeed.

John

Edited by John L