Hi There,

improving some "correct for the periode" Tasks on my TR,  I think I have to kick out the Bosch headlights on my TR2 ... :blink:

Well, the Standard Lucas would do it but I somehow like the Tripod type.

I am just not sure ,for which year/model they were correct ? Pictures Show them on several cars (early TR2 s to 3As...

Any input on tripods history and purpose very welcome.

regards

Oliver

They certainly look the part.  

The issue you will discover is that the light output is scarily poor compared to any modern car you have driven.  OK for pottering about on well lit roads where you seldom exceed 80 kph.  But try a quick drive on an unlit country road and you become a mobile road block as you cannot see where you are going.

Do not forget the Ralph Nader statement that most American cars made in the 1960's at above 60 mph (100 kph) were driving ahead of their headlamp beams.

So my opinion is......Tripods for show, halogen/LED for GO

Peter W

Hi Oliver,

The earliest indication that I have found for the fitment of Tripod head lamp units is from the Lucas Equipment & Spare Parts – 1955 Standard & Triumph Cars.

Publication No. CCE902D and dated April 1955.

In this publication they were listed as follows :

* Model P700 - Headlamp unit - 51546A - Light unit - 554999 - (with photo showing the tripod)

* Listed as alternative fitment for Triumph 2-seater Sports TR2

They were then fitted to all subsequent Sidescreen cars and the TR4 until 1963.

I like the look of the Tripod headlamps and have a N.O.S. original pair fitted to my 1964 TR4.

If you do decide to fit this type of headlamp to your car, I would recommend that you try to obtain original N.O.S. units as the reproduction items are not the best of quality.

Also as they accept BPF bulbs many upgraded versions are available to increase the projected light.

I trust this is of interest.

Regards, Richard

3 hours ago, Nobbyc said:

You can get tripod headlights that accept H4 fittings for Halogen or LED 

Yes you can, usually marked P700 in the center of the tripod. The beam pattern on these is not good, unless you wanted to illuminate the tree tops on full beam.

I had a pair on my '3 for a while, but have now changed to a pair of Valeo units, which are much better (especialy with good LED H4 bulbs).

Bob.

Edited by Lebro
  • 2 years later...

Hello 

I have a pair of genuine Lucas ones still in the boxes but the inside of the glass has gone cloudy!

I think it could be cleaned if you are careful the silvering is good.

If you are interested I will take photos and you can make me an offer

Roger

On 5/24/2020 at 8:53 AM, Lebro said:

Yes you can, usually marked P700 in the center of the tripod. The beam pattern on these is not good, unless you wanted to illuminate the tree tops on full beam.

I had a pair on my '3 for a while, but have now changed to a pair of Valeo units, which are much better (especialy with good LED H4 bulbs).

Bob.

+1. Yes Bob, it's a great pity that these Valeo (Cibie) units are NLA.

Tim

I have a pair of cheap re-pros fitted, and yes they are rubbish, but I don`t believe the original Lucas units were. I have not had to drive with mine at night yet, but I know from trying to set the beams against the garage door that the light pattern is all over the place. I doubt it would pass on an MOT beam tester.  I would like to fit the Better Car Lighting units, which are available with LED bulbs, but very pricey. I am waiting to hear some good reports though before I part with £300.

Ralph

Oliver, don't go the tripod way.  Light is safety. Here in Germany you roll at least with 100 KPH (on the Bundesstrasse). Brakes of our TRs are far behind the brakes of every modern car on the road. I have Bosch/Hella in all my older cars, in Combination with Osram Nightbreakers - pretty good.

And the TÜV for LEDs (Osram) is on the way (exists for TR4-6 now).

But if you still want to kick out the Boschs I would be happy to buy them ...:rolleyes:

6 minutes ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

I would like to fit the Better Car Lighting units, which are available with LED bulbs, but very pricey. I am waiting to hear some good reports though before I part with £300.

These may be the same light units but without the LED bulbs ?

https://www.completeautomobilist.com/products/pl700-pl700-trirep

https://www.holden.co.uk/p/lucas-7-in-rhd-pl700-tripod-light-unit-1?s

10 minutes ago, RobH said:

Thanks Rob, yes I think they are the same, without any bulbs. BCL do a pair including halogen bulbs for £199, or £299 with their own LED bulbs, not sure whether there is VAT on top of those prices though, which makes either of the above look good value.

Ralph

Hi Oliver

If you haven't done it already try fitting headlamp relays. These are available from Moss and others. I did this on my 4A that has sealed beam units. When we first went to France we had yellow beam deflectors without the relays and could hardly see a thing. With the relays much better. In the standard wiring the power goes through the switch circuit as well as the headlamps and while 'ok' the lights are not really that good. Fitted relays to main and dipped beam so the switch circuit only needs a small current while most of the power now goes to the lights. Not only does this greatly improve the lights but also means the switch is less likely to burn out. This would enable you to keep the period headlights without going down the led route.

As for beam scatter with tripods I can't comment having never used them.

Keith