Hi Folks

During this lockdown i have been busy on the 4A sorting out  rust issues here and there - mostly here.

During this I noticed that there was leak form the OD coming form the big brass nut.

My suspicion was on the plate between the GB and OD was cracked :o

Anyway I'm up for a bodge now and then and as I was busy with other issues I could feel a bodge heading my way.

So I gave the offending area a serious degrease. and coated a significant area with a RTV silicone. It all looked mighty impressive immediately after surgery.

However yesterday, apprx 5 days after the plastic surgery, I noticed that there was still a drip.

Under the car I could see that a plastic surgeon I am not. The RTV looked as if it was swelling.  When I poked it it was indeed swollen - rather like a limp mump.

So the oil is still leaking and causing the RTV to separate form the ali body. - Bugger

I didn;t want to use a serious permanent  fix  - fibre glass resin etc - but I now know my next job after the wing is replaced.

Roger 

Roger,

I've recently discovered that all automotive silicones are not created equal. Over on the TSSC forum, Nick Jones recommended Reinzosil, made by Victor Reinz, an OEM gasket supplier to much of the German motor industry. It's available on eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303133148158

Reinzosil seems much more resilient than normal silicone. If you're willing to try one more quick fix attempt, it's what I would suggest. I've been using it to deter oil from escaping from the cylinder head gasket joint on my TR6. It's the common leak these engines have from the pushrod side.

Nigel

Edited by Nigel Triumph
Typo

Have you tried Oyltite-Stik 

From Frost https://www.frost.co.uk/oyltite-stik-oil-leak-sealer/

....I think this is my brother's hand using the stuff on his TR gearbox/overdrive joint when he worked for the UK importer.

image.png.a3cbfd8f3b939da8c510aecb0ff4ad5a.png

Cheers

Peter W

PS I have no idea if it will fix your problem though Roger.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Hi Chaps,

thanks for the replies.   I think removing what is on there and replacing with more stuff is not going to happen.

The Oylite has been around for a long time and  it appears to work.

However I think the leak is in the tightest gap behind the brass nut.

I will simply remove the GB  :wacko:

Roger

Roger I had the same issue last year. I resorted to the same bodge and it bought me enough time to get through my last sprint.

then I opened it up and found a detached bolt inside 

but in the end I had Pete cox rebuild it fully. The OD was on its last legs.

( I was convinced that the weak engine and gearbox mounts were putting the OD plate under stress with torque acceleration and de acceleration so fitted new ( uprated ones))

Hi Hamish,

yes, I remember the occasion.  I shall remove my GB and check for any looseness. 

The box was overhauled about 5 years ago, so I suspect  it isn't a loose screw but a cracked  plate - we shall find out.

Roger

Roger, stop inventing things to do.

Gearboxes leak Full Stop.

How else would you replicate that warm EP90 aroma after a hard drive?

Jerry

9 hours ago, jerrytr5 said:

Roger, stop inventing things to do.

Gearboxes leak Full Stop.

How else would you replicate that warm EP90 aroma after a hard drive?

Jerry

+1