TR6 steering wheel restoration

I have a metal 3 spoked TR6 steering wheel that I would like to restore. Previously I saw a thread on the forum from someone who had carefully removed the rubber grip (but now I cannot find it), which would allow rechroming but the colour does not look as though it is chrome. Does anybody know what the metal finish was for these steering wheels? 

C227C9BF-1401-4F12-963E-1B8AC9C242A3.jpeg

37 minutes ago, RJB said:

I have a metal 3 spoked TR6 steering wheel that I would like to restore. Previously I saw a thread on the forum from someone who had carefully removed the rubber grip (but now I cannot find it), which would allow rechroming but the colour does not look as though it is chrome. Does anybody know what the metal finish was for these steering wheels? 

C227C9BF-1401-4F12-963E-1B8AC9C242A3.jpeg

It is Satin Chrome finish, but that may be the difficult part as I do not know how that is done? A very common finish on engineering measuring instruments.

Bruce.

Hi,

I just rubbed the spokes down with emery, primed an and repainted with Renault silver grey. I didn't remove the cover. My refurbed wheel is on the left and original unused wheel is on the right.

cheers

Derek 

P1010722.JPG

Thanks to both Bruce and Derek for these speedy responses. I’ll see what the rechroming company says and if it is not possible then Derek’s solution may be the way (and cheaper) to go.

Richard

Hi Richard

Thought I’d add my bit as I’m doing the same.

As Bruce says original spoke finish is some kind of satin semi-chrome finish, maybe anodised in some way but I would have thought not easy to do unless you are going to remove the rubber grip altogether as Ed did.

I went down the simple route and rubbed down the spokes and sprayed them in silver as Derek did. Now the finish is down to the individual and a satin silver would be more original but I’ve gone high gloss so I lacquered them as well. Which although its not obvious in the after pic looks pretty nice in the flesh.

But I’m going to improve it further by getting the grip professionally wrapped in leather. This will give a nicer finish and thicken the rim slightly.

I've had a quote off Royal steering wheels who mainly do medern prestige stuff (others do it as well) but it’s not cheap but hopefully the finish would be spot on.

Cheers   Keith

Spoke Before.jpg

Spoke After.jpg

3 hours ago, Keith66 said:

Hi Richard

Thought I’d add my bit as I’m doing the same.

As Bruce says original spoke finish is some kind of satin semi-chrome finish, maybe anodised in some way but I would have thought not easy to do unless you are going to remove the rubber grip altogether as Ed did.

I went down the simple route and rubbed down the spokes and sprayed them in silver as Derek did. Now the finish is down to the individual and a satin silver would be more original but I’ve gone high gloss so I lacquered them as well. Which although its not obvious in the after pic looks pretty nice in the flesh.

But I’m going to improve it further by getting the grip professionally wrapped in leather. This will give a nicer finish and thicken the rim slightly.

I've had a quote off Royal steering wheels who mainly do medern prestige stuff (others do it as well) but it’s not cheap but hopefully the finish would be spot on.

Cheers   Keith

Spoke Before.jpg

Spoke After.jpg

Keith, have you tried Aldridge trimmers in Wolverhampton. 

Mark. IMG-20190203-WA0010.thumb.jpeg.6357509a137db3c4a7f403f8bcac2f5d.jpegSprayed mine with zinc weld thru primer. I liked the texture of the paint when it dried. 

Hi there, another option, as I did, was to have one made in brushed stainless steel and covered in leather. It looks exactly like the original one I have but minus the rust. The cost of restoring the old one was the same as having one made.

20190625_121840_IMG_0619.JPG

Mark

Know Aldridge they repaired my seat rip but didn't think about them refinishing the wheel.

Certainly give them a call when things get back to normal.

I asked them for a quote on a problem with my Zt but they are only doing a limited amount at the moment due to a backlog from to being shut.

Cheers   KEith

Thank you everyone for your comments. I have been in contact with Niphos Metal Finishing in Crewe (recommended by Craig from TR Bitz) and they can re-chrome in satin chrome, so I think I will go down that route.

I would like to express my appreciation of the TR Forum, and people like you who make it, as a fabulous resource for a rebuild, and I hope my 6 will be complete in the next few months once this lockdown eases further.

Richard