Faulty voltage regulators

I’ve had two faulty voltage regulators in recent years. They work for a while then cease to. Has anyone else had similar problems? I think the ones currently being sold all come from the same source, ultimately, and I’m reluctant to order another. I’m told that there is someone in the south of England who restores original Lucas ones. Can anyone advise me on how to find him?

You can buy electronic ones from eBay.

They will probably last forever as they don't have mechanical parts in them.

(Search :   Electronic instrument voltage stabiliser – 10 volt for classic cars)

Charlie

Edited by Charlie D

Some confusion here I think. Charlie's post is referring to the instrument voltage regulator which sidescreen cars do not have as the instruments are a different type from the later cars.

Since the query is in the sidescreen technical forum can we assume you are referring to the dynamo regulator?

Problems with the replacement dynamo control regulators seem to be not uncommon - probably due to the pattern parts using sub-standard materials in the contacts.

A lot  of people have fitted alternators anyway which eliminates this problem but if you want to retain a dynamo and cannot find a refurbisher, the link below is to a company that can supply an electronic regulator replacement which I understand will fit inside the original lucas regulator box to retain the original look. 

http://edsltd.ddns.net/products.html

If you want a go at fixing your own this is a how-to-do-it guide.

https://www.mgexp.com/phile/3/191288/REPAIRING_THE_STANDARD_RB106.pdf

Edited by RobH
1 hour ago, skodajag said:

I’ve had two faulty voltage regulators in recent years. They work for a while then cease to. Has anyone else had similar problems? I think the ones currently being sold all come from the same source, ultimately, and I’m reluctant to order another. I’m told that there is someone in the south of England who restores original Lucas ones. Can anyone advise me on how to find him?

Richard Poore on here (RichardTR3A) sends his RB106 controllers off to and 'old boy' that knows what he is doing. Richard has posted many times on this subject.

Search for his posts or send him a PM.

Roger 

Hi. I had an obsession with the RB106 for a long time. The new ones use reclaimed copper which is not good quality. It does not matter who is selling me last long.  I had mine overhauled by an electrical company in the midlands Cox Auto Electrical who have an expert. I had a few done for stock in case they gave up. I would be pleased to send you one in the company sealed plastic bag. Send me a pm. Thanks Richard & B

I’ve just sorted through a box of spares compiled in 1973. Found an old unit which I didn’t know I had. Cleaned up all the contacts and terminals and ......it works, despite being unused for at least 47 years. There’s a lesson (or two) there.

Sorry about that.

My 3A has later instruments and an alternator, so I never thought about the dynamo regulator.

I did think it a bit odd though that there was someone who refurbished instrument voltage regulators.
I spent half an hour trying to work out how they would do it. (Did not come up with an answer.)

Charlie.