Triumph graveyard video

It looks appalling but, I bet there is a fair fortune of TRiumphs that could be restored.

That four-headlamp Spitire is certainly not an ex-works car - for by the end of their career all of them had the GT6-shape fastback roof. To me (and I think I count as an 'expert' on those cars), that looks like a good replica/homage bonnet on a very ordinary Spitfire.

You could do that 4 headlight mod to a tr3(a).......

15 hours ago, Graham Robson said:

That four-headlamp Spitire is certainly not an ex-works car - for by the end of their career all of them had the GT6-shape fastback roof. To me (and I think I count as an 'expert' on those cars), that looks like a good replica/homage bonnet on a very ordinary Spitfire.

I would agree with you Graham,  If I remember correctly - and no doubt I will be corrected on this, Ashley mouldings produced fibreglass bonnets for Spitfires along with a rather neat fast back conversion.   These fast backs were also made for the Mk4 spit.  I can recall seeing ads for them in motor sport mags in the 1960's/70's. 

hoges. 

18 minutes ago, Hamish said:

You could do that 4 headlight mod to a tr3(a).......

Yes you could Hamish and a right pigs ear it look too!   However, fitting a set of 5 inch driving lamps into the front apron of a TR2/3 where the side lights are would be ok.  3A's would have to have their grilles cut but it has been done. 

What it the small inner screen ?

is it to focus the demister warm air?

764D2DB6-E169-4CD5-8197-9A1E82E18CAC.jpeg

1 hour ago, Hamish said:

is it to focus the demister warm air?

Nice spot Hamish. An interesting modification if it is. I could've done with one of those last winter!

Speaking of interesting mods . . . what's going on here?

(Presumedly, it's not to let the cat out.)

TRspoFla.thumb.png.09b557dc5828d3bdeef636a921f1e682.png

Deggers

That's Maurice Gatsonides on the 1959 Tulip Rally - a picture in THE WORKS TRIUMPHS (page 85) confirms the car and its unique lighting arrangement.

The Tulip ran in Holland, Germany and France in May, so those scoops ahead of the screen were probably to encourage more cooling air into the cabin, and to keep the engine bay well vented.. By the end of that rally, the central 'Cyclops' driving lamp had been discarded.

Hon. Pres.

18 minutes ago, Graham Robson said:

. . . those scoops ahead of the screen were probably to encourage more cooling air into the cabin

Thanks Graham.

Sorry though, I should've been more specific. I was wondering what's with the letterbox arrangement up front? Haven't seen that before.

TRspoFla1B.jpg.63beb46973e1d39bd5137113e805f56a.jpg

Gatsonides was quirky to say the least. I think that 'letterbox' was actually connected to the body panel, is clearly hinged at the top, and looks as  if it could be folded down to close off the cooling air towards the radiator.

Second thoughts, by the way - was this, in fact the 1959 Monte Carlo rally ? I cannot discern the rally plate detail on the bonnet though it's overall shape is Monte-like. Gatso started No. 360 ....

Looks like there are a couple of spot lights tucked up in there behind the flap all very interesting. 

55 minutes ago, Hamish said:

Looks like there are a couple of spot lights tucked up in there behind the flap all very interesting. 

A clearer pic of the same car. Apparently the flap and the car parted company at some point. Hinges are still there though.

(The rally plate and door number confirm Grahams thoughts on it being Gatso in car 360 on the Monte.)

TRMont59.thumb.jpg.73ff00581f0f165ff7fa977a0775d607.jpg

Reckon you guessed right about the de-misting, Hamish. Various tricks being employed at the time by the looks of it.

The bars on the inside of the windscreen above, also appear in an accessories brochure for the TR3.

"Number 4 : Defroster (Windscreen)"

Can't say I've seen a pair of those recently  . . .  or ever! 

TRacc1.thumb.jpg.6ac6df64dde0b15ab59d788c3ddab6a7.jpg

TRacc1A1.thumb.jpg.0268d3143fd15c0596c419091f2edbd9.jpg

Deggers

10 hours ago, Deggers said:

Speaking of interesting mods . . . what's going on here?

TRspoFla.thumb.png.09b557dc5828d3bdeef636a921f1e682.png

Also THREE Lucas demisters in cockpit. Two stacked (left), third single (right). But they look beefier than standard. A friend of mine's TR2 had them fitted from new when the car was purchased by his dad, Mr. Lehane, from Liverpool.

Also, Degger's clearer photograph shows FOUR spotlights in the cowling, two larger ones, and two fitted at 90 degrees to front of vehicle.

Edited by DavidBee
Addition

A further comment on Maurice Gatsonides. As something of a 'superstar', he always insisted on picking up his 'works' TR ahead of the team's departure to an event, so that he could then add his own 'extras' to the specification before the start.

Which explains the oddities seen on WVC 247 in the picture above. (Note - alternators were not yet available, so running with all those extra lamps illuminated must have been a very draining experience .... Incidentally, we know that Lucas, to whom the factory was contracted, were not amused .... The other WVC team cars were  differently equipped.

This 'Gatsonisation factor' was also a very important influence in his sacking from the team a few months later ....

3 hours ago, Deggers said:

Interesting stuff! Thanks Graham.

Quite the inventor. I see we also have him to thank for the speed camera. 

Deggers

Gone off him a bit now 

:ph34r: