Hi all

Familiar with these seats from past projects/cars but not for a 6 so before I source a pair which are the most comfortable and fit the best from peoples experience. MKI or MKII ?

Thanks

Andy

I have the seats with removable headrests which I  believe came from a Mk2. For me ( as i suffer from a chronic back complaint) it has been one of the best improvements I have made to my car. The seats sit very flat on the floor so i have some spacers under the front mounting to lift the front of the seat up slightly. The original seats are safely stowed in the loft.

Chris

Edited by TRsixchris
Correction to model number

Hi Andy 

If by Mk1 and Mk2 you mean the 'tombstone' integral head restraint type and the Mk2 separate head restraint type I've had both in BUO and for me personally I found the Mk1's more comfortable, but changed them for the Mk2's because I felt they looked more in keeping with the car. But that only my opinion and for some strange reason I actually prefer the look of the Mk1's in cars fitted with a backlight and Surrey top. Another benefit of the Mk1's as well is that that some of them have speakers in the head restraints

+1 for MK2 seats, the removable headrests allows you to use a tonneau.  We did a 3 week/3,000 mile Euro tour last year and had no issues whatsoever with comfort.  

1804119689_MX5Mk2Seats.thumb.jpg.fd8fe336f136a3dadf997eacd11e3f1c.jpg 

Cheers, Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith

Hi Andy,

I have the ones with separate head rests, and seat heating (yes I know). Have not driven the car yet but they feel very comfortable and “solid”. I made my own brackets, which go from side to side, think I fitted 35 mm front and 15 mm rear. More work than expected though.

Waldi

Thanks for all the feedback so quick anyone would think you all had nothing to do!

The majority seem to favour the MK2's which from looking at the pic's look good plus I have tonneau cover already.

Will start searching for a pair of MK2's

Thanks again

Andy.

Good choice... I found they were a huge improvement for my body-shape (6ft, not malnourished). I also have heaters fitted to ease long-term back pain - they get a big thumbs-up from me aswell.

....... Andy 

Forgot to say.... if you do want to fit heaters to seats of a similar style to mine with lots of ribs - be prepared for it to take longer than you expect and some extra swearing.

...... Andy 

617BD416-85B3-4999-844B-B3BDECCEC938.jpeg

Hi

I have MK1 seats in my 6 and MK2 in the 4 and to my mind they are as comfortable as each other, so I really think that it's down to personal preference, and budget. Before we first did the RBRR my wife and co-driver gave me an ultimatum to fit some comfortable seats, despite having had the original seats recently rebuilt. Having had a MK1 MX5 we knew how comfortable they were and it was an easy choice when I found out they fitted TRs.

Both of the cars have the TR Trader brackets and as Chris says earlier it's worthwhile using spacers to lift the seat base from the floor, try different heights and see what fits you best.

Dave

782B60A8-C1EC-4D86-8F9B-680AC7DA027D.thumb.jpeg.682850779ee4707c45d47a4f3588c1be.jpegI have the Mk1s in my car and the support my back just fine, and I think they look fine

Edited by Paul Hill

Andy,

Whether you decide on the Mk2 or Mk1, it is worth using good adjustable brackets - Paul Bishop in Winchester makes the brackets (and seats) for TR Trader and these in my opinion are the best as they are adjustable (fore/aft and up/down) and allow for the perfect fit, see: https://www.flickr.com/photos/115740825@N05/albums/72157690380502643

Cheers, Andrew

I prefer to use the brackets that are well described in the registers "Technicalities" CD (available from the office if your a member though also posted on here before now.) To my mind they are the right height straight out of the box so no faffing about shimming but also much stronger and dont stress the floor so much.

Stuart.

20 hours ago, Andrew Smith said:

+1 for MK2 seats, the removable headrests allows you to use a tonneau.  We did a 3 week/3,000 mile Euro tour last year and had no issues whatsoever with comfort.  

1804119689_MX5Mk2Seats.thumb.jpg.fd8fe336f136a3dadf997eacd11e3f1c.jpg 

Cheers, Andrew

Andrew, what did you do with the wind deflector when you put on the tonneau?

I find you can't fold it down because the hood frame gets in the way.

Cheers Daz

1 hour ago, DRD said:

Andrew, what did you do with the wind deflector when you put on the tonneau?

I find you can't fold it down because the hood frame gets in the way.

Cheers Daz

Daz,

It's a Windbreaker made by Chris Russell (TRR member) which he started making specifically for MX5 seats - you just unlock the screen by the two thumbscrews then fold it and the seats forward (without headrests fitted if need be).

Sadly Chris no longer makes Windbreakers but they do pop up on eBay for MX5 and OE seats from time to time

Cheers, Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith
6 minutes ago, Andrew Smith said:

Daz,

It's a Windbreaker made by Chris Russell (TRR member) which he started making specifically for MX5 seats - you just unlock screen by the two thumbscrews then fold it and the seats forward (without headrests fitted if need be).

Sadly Chris no longer makes Windbreakers but they do pop up on eBay for MX5 and OE seats from time to time

Cheers, Andrew

Andrew, I'm sure I tried that but when the seats are folded forward, even without the headrest, they stick up above the height of the doors.

Maybe my seats don't fold forward enough?

Cheers Daz

Edited by DRD
Update
Just now, DRD said:

Andrew, I'm sure I tried that but when the seats are folded forward, even without the headrest, they stick up above the height of the doors.

Maybe my seats don't go fold forward enough?

Cheers Daz

Daz, you need to push the seats as far back as they go - or maybe your seats are mounted higher than mine?

Cheers, Andrew

Another thought I found the front bolster to low for me, so I fitted spacers and longer bolts between the seat base and the runners .

10 hours ago, Andrew Smith said:

Andy,

Whether you decide on the Mk2 or Mk1, it is worth using good adjustable brackets - Paul Bishop in Winchester makes the brackets (and seats) for TR Trader and these in my opinion are the best as they are adjustable (fore/aft and up/down) and allow for the perfect fit, see: https://www.flickr.com/photos/115740825@N05/albums/72157690380502643

Cheers, Andrew

Hi Andrew

Thanks I already have some brackets away at the powder coaters at the minute. Question does the MX5 seat runner bolt to the brackets?

As for the wind breaker I used to make them myself for friends for their MX5's so when the time comes I'll do the same.

Andy 

Hi Andy

Yes they do, you have to remove a lug at rear of the MX5 seat runners (angle grinder). You also take the MX5 seat belt fitting off as you have to continue using the original triumph mounts for your seat belts. At least this is how I fitted mine.

Dave