petrol injector

My TR6 has an intermittent misfire at low revs, commpressions ok , new plugs, new distributor, reconned  fuel pump. I want to try changing the injectors and have a couple, one is a reconditioned unit. Although both are push in types they have different nozzles. Which is correct for a 1973 model?

P1090414.JPG

P1090415.JPG

Edited by Phil Read
better photos

Would have thought its more important to have all six the same so the spray patterns/volume delivered are closely matched?

I suspect they all had needles originally but they get broken off over the years. Other than screw in or push in the only other difference I am aware of is the circlip or crimping to hold the assembly together.

Chris

Phil,

original ones should have a date stamped on them; week number and year just before the part number (new ones don’t  have the date stamped).

my spare pointed nose ones are early 70’s whereas my point - less one is mid 70’s. 

cheers

dave 

16 hours ago, Mark69 said:

I always thought they were the same internals, I had a mixed bunch. 

Sent them off for refurb all came back with no points, assumed they had been ground off. 

Mark,

The original ones had a circlip and pin, this type are reconditionable - crimped ones are not so are worthless once they fail. The type without the pin are a real pain to bleed as you have to continually 'vigorously' tap them to get the air out. I had a complete set from Prestige that fell apart internally in quick order, so Malcom replaced them with the pin type that I originally sent him.

I would suggest if you have been the supplied non-pin type for the pin type you should insist the supplier to replaces link-for-like. Equally, if you send circlipped pin type (reconditionable) you should receive the same back - make it clear what you expect back.

Cheers, Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith

Thanks for the insight guys. I made an outright purchase for 1 injector as I wanted to try and identify the cause of the intermittent misfire, I did not want to go to the expense of replacing all the injectors. I had never seen an injector without the needle so was not sure it was correct for the car. It appears this type of injector was fit as standard by the factory for a period in the 70s. I will give it a go.

1 hour ago, Phil Read said:

Thanks for the insight guys. I made an outright purchase for 1 injector as I wanted to try and identify the cause of the intermittent misfire, I did not want to go to the expense of replacing all the injectors. I had never seen an injector without the needle so was not sure it was correct for the car. It appears this type of injector was fit as standard by the factory for a period in the 70s. I will give it a go.

It was a cost cutting exercise by Joe Lucas that was not popular with JRT garages! Thank goodness that they went back to the original design.

Bruce.

2 hours ago, Andrew Smith said:

Mark,

The type without the pin are a real pain to bleed as you have to continually 'vigorously' tap them to get the air out. I had a complete set from Prestige that fell apart internally in quick order, so Malcom replaced them with the pin type that I originally sent him.

Cheers, Andrew

Had my fuel system apart recently so all the lines were full of air.     Repeated pulling on the 'needles' didn't bleed them out and they refused to spray as the air compressed and limited the pressure peak.      Holding them upside down seemed the next step, but rather than having fuel sprayed everywhere, I went through them, covering each with a length of tubing, so long that the spray didn't come out of the end (about a foot) and holding it upside down over a catch can.      Instant result!

Worked better for me than 'pulling on the needle' and should work for those without one.

John

8 hours ago, Andrew Smith said:

Mark,

The original ones had a circlip and pin, this type are reconditionable - crimped ones are not so are worthless once they fail. The type without the pin are a real pain to bleed as you have to continually 'vigorously' tap them to get the air out. I had a complete set from Prestige that fell apart internally in quick order, so Malcom replaced them with the pin type that I originally sent him.

I would suggest if you have been the supplied non-pin type for the pin type you should insist the supplier to replaces link-for-like. Equally, if you send circlipped pin type (reconditionable) you should receive the same back - make it clear what you expect back.

Cheers, Andrew

Hi Andrew, 

This is a photo of my spare injector, hopefully it's a recondition able type. All 7 are identical. 

Cheers Mark. IMG_20200522_174120.thumb.jpg.50f44c1ee5e5ecbb2ba37258b4f4ef73.jpg