Tools for your boot

Not in the boot, but in the passenger footwell compartment. An mertrinch set with sockets and spanners, the toiletbag with the other stuff....

When not in use it is an footrest/support for the navigator...

Marcel.

IMG_5783.JPG

IMG_5784.JPG

Edited by Quicksilver

Great use of space while travelling but wouldn't want to leave my toolbox in car every time I was parked up while touring. In the boot is out of sight, out of mind 

Chris

4 hours ago, ChrisR-4A said:

Great use of space while travelling but wouldn't want to leave my toolbox in car every time I was parked up while touring. In the boot is out of sight, out of mind 

Chris

But pop a cheap scruffy alloy rally footrest plate in front of it and no-one would probably think of looking behind it for anything valuable.

Nigel

1 hour ago, Bleednipple said:

But pop a cheap scruffy alloy rally footrest plate in front of it and no-one would probably think of looking behind it for anything valuable.

Nigel

The toolkit and metrinch set in this place for about 20 years.... that scruffy plate might be an idea! 

When parking the TR, most of the time it is covered with the tonneau which is always in on the car.....

Marcel

ps. having the toolkit in the footwell compartment, is just a matter of convenience whilst travelling/camping with a fully packed car. Always easy access to this kit, you only have to convince your navigator to give way...:lol:

And no unloading of the trunk, like some of our friends had to do last year (see photo). However, it was quite convenient to have a break down in front of a pub.

P1070283_TR_search for tools.gif

Edited by Quicksilver

just a heads up about carrying to many or not enough correct tools etc. Most of us work on our cars in our own garages/workshops and have most things around us, not all that comes with you on the road.

Next time you take a wheel off for instance, don't trundle your trusty trolley jack over, open your boot and do it all with what you carry. As mentioned before, when that Tyre is flat on the side of an uneven road (in the dark/pissing rain/wind/flood) does your travelling jack actually go under the car...and will lift it from a very low position?

I shall share something with you here......

You may think this a little ridiculous but, for space issues in my boot, I carry a 4j steel wheel with a 145 fitted. On the car I'm running 5.5j wires and 185 tyres...slight discrepancy I admit but I've painted it black and yellow and call it a space saver! The issue (for those who know about wire wheel conversions) is how to undo/do up the wheel nuts (especially when you are travelling on your own!) that hold the adapter on the hub when there isn't a wheel fitted to the hub and sitting on the road. I have a length of wood that folds and locks in postilion. One end goes at the base frame of the drivers seat, the other end goes on the brake peddle. When you push down on the middle of the timber it locks in position and applies enough pressure to stop the hub turning when you undo the nuts to then fit a standard steel wheel.

.....and yes I can hear you laughing/sucking air through your teeth from here but if I carry a 5.5j wire and 185 tyre I cant get "stuff" in the boot especially when catering for four passengers on days out/holidays etc.

18 minutes ago, Nigel C said:

just a heads up about carrying to many or not enough correct tools etc. Most of us work on our cars in our own garages/workshops and have most things around us, not all that comes with you on the road.

Next time you take a wheel off for instance, don't trundle your trusty trolley jack over, open your boot and do it all with what you carry. As mentioned before, when that Tyre is flat on the side of an uneven road (in the dark/pissing rain/wind/flood) does your travelling jack actually go under the car...and will lift it from a very low position?

I shall share something with you here......

You may think this a little ridiculous but, for space issues in my boot, I carry a 4j steel wheel with a 145 fitted. On the car I'm running 5.5j wires and 185 tyres...slight discrepancy I admit but I've painted it black and yellow and call it a space saver! The issue (for those who know about wire wheel conversions) is how to undo/do up the wheel nuts (especially when you are travelling on your own!) that hold the adapter on the hub when there isn't a wheel fitted to the hub and sitting on the road. I have a length of wood that folds and locks in postilion. One end goes at the base frame of the drivers seat, the other end goes on the brake peddle. When you push down on the middle of the timber it locks in position and applies enough pressure to stop the hub turning when you undo the nuts to then fit a standard steel wheel.

.....and yes I can hear you laughing/sucking air through your teeth from here but if I carry a 5.5j wire and 185 tyre I cant get "stuff" in the boot especially when catering for four passengers on days out/holidays etc.

Good advice (about the jacks etc I mean, no idea about the 'space saver' wheel but sounds ingenious!).

In my jack bag I also carry a single folding axle stand, as I'm averse to putting any body part under the car on jack alone. I have the Sealey ones (below). With the legs folded in, the whole thing really is very small and light. 

image.png.62d54cb245b5d05efef78ff0a865016e.png

53 minutes ago, Bleednipple said:

What are they, I forget?

They are strong adjustable metal Stands to put your car on. 

9 hours ago, Hamish said:

They are strong adjustable metal Stands to put your car on. 

What, in case someone nicks your wheels while you're in the pub?

If you secure them with Pull-ties..no one will be able to get them off:D

My Dad always said this to me about my hub caps on my car....

Nigel H

Just for information, I attach a photo of my TR4 packed for a three week rally (and return journey).  There is a LONG list of spares and useful "creative" repair parts in the two boxes and I also had a trolley jack behind the driver's seat (long handle in the boot).

As for tools, there was only my standard tool roll plus torque wrench and grease-gun.  A 50L hold-all sat on top with all of our clothes in it (for both me and partner Jan) and we each had a backpack in the car with us (mine behind passenger seat, Jan's in her footwell).  With this set-up I repaired a LT lead to the coil, swapped fuel pump, replaced two inner tubes (at a tyre shop), changed the head-gasket and drove around 10,000km from Seattle>Anchorage>Toronto.

On a normal trip, I only have the box on the left with a slimmed-down spares pack and the trolley jack sits in the boot.

Tim

IMG_20140718_184246.jpg

Something to think about:

When I used to compete in motorcycle enduros we used to carry out all routine maintenance using only the tools normally carried on the bike. This gave rise to many special, lightweight and multipurpose tools in a kit which got refined at home rather than on a windswept moor or muddy forest. 
It’s very easy to assemble something with workshop tools which becomes very difficult to get at with a basic kit. 
One example is my bottom hose clip which I fitted neatly tucked out of the way with a socket on 1/4 drive ratchet But was virtually impossible to get at with the screwdriver in my car kit.