Tools for your boot

Has anyone purchased a good quality new AF socket set as an emergency set for your boot 'toolbag'? What else do you keep in there for long journeys?

Jase Hi

Sure this will draw a number of comments from those that carry enough tools and spares to carryout a full rebuild at the road  side  to those that carry a mobile phone and an AA membership!

Personally I'm more to the latter but I've got a Teng socket set,  combination spanners from 3/8 to 9/16  and couple of screwdrivers, but to be honest I can't remember the last time I used any of them ! 

Thought I'd ask as I'm looking to purchase a good socket set for the boot as I don't want to use my garage sets. It's not that easy finding a good small set that covers everything and has no metric in it.

49 minutes ago, Graham said:

combination spanners from 3/8 to 9/16  and couple of screwdrivers,

+1

Combination spanners are probably of more use as a get-you-home measure than is a socket set I believe.  There are some places where only an open-ended spanner will fit. I would include a decent pair of water-pump pliers or mole-grips, as those are necessary for simple things like fitting a clutch slave return spring.  

Really it depends on what type of roadside repair is feasible for you, and what spares you carry dictates the tools you will need to fit them. Fuel pump? water pump? coil? distributor? fan belt? hoses?..........

The boot is large enough, I have most of the spares :) Halfords don't seem to have their professional AF range available, any other recommendations for a good socket set that covers wheel nuts etc.

1 hour ago, Jase said:

Thought I'd ask as I'm looking to purchase a good socket set for the boot as I don't want to use my garage sets. It's not that easy finding a good small set that covers everything and has no metric in it.

The Clarke sockets from Machine Mart work well and good quaity & value

Roger

I have this in the boot...…. It's great for most issues. In a tool bag I have pliers/hammer!/spare fuel pipe/rad hoses etc..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Blue-Point-1-4-And-3-8-Socket-Set-100-Piece-Ratchets-Extensions-Spanners-NEW/254601465019?epid=1623086369&hash=item3b476e0cbb:g:wVgAAOSwnklcrix1

Tom

If you carry  a spare part it's not much use if you dont have the correct tools to fit it.

I only carry the size sockets which may be needed and a couple of specials like a 1/4 ratchet and 6Ins extension with small socket to change the overdrive solenoid and a bent open ended spanner which fits one of the fuel pump nuts. A brake adjusting spanner can be useful if you over adjust them at home and have to slackened off on the first long trip.

90% of my TR tools are in the boot, not much use if there not where the car is.

Chris

Edited by ChrisR-4A

image.thumb.png.1fd9f48a7921bf783f0a9be27a9c9791.png

Depends how far you want to take it!

My long distance kit includes all the usual tools, but for everyday motoring I'd still carry the basics including a 12 volt tyre pump which takes up very little space.

A key question is what type of jack to carry. Due to the ground clearance of the chassis especially at the front, with a completely flat tyre even a small bottle jack will be out of the question. I carry the lowest-profile scissors jack I could find, and a jack board cut to shape to fit neatly in the boot (you can just see it under the jack bag, on left hand side).

Also important: a bottle of brake/clutch fluid, and small bottle for Rainex for if (sorry, when) the wipers pack up.

Oh yes, and a small can of WD40 and a reasonably big hammer (for things that should move, but won't) and plenty of cable ties and a roll of duct tape (for things that do move, but shouldn't)!

Nigel

Really beefy jump leads - although the last time I used mine was to get TS2 started at Kop Hill after its Kenlowe had run for hours and flattened its battery.

And the time before that was at a NLG meeting, in the p***ing rain to start a PI car!

Ian Cornish

Only pack what you need for a road side repair that you have the spares and competency to undertake.

so in my case it’s a wheel brace, a jack and a Birmingham tool box ie one of these that you may know it by another name. 

5289C5F4-9180-470D-8FF3-1D8507C8501B.jpeg

I also carry a pack of Starbursts (used to be Opal Fruits). Said to be good for petrol tank repairs, and while I've never actually tried them for that they are quite good for feeding to Mrs BN to stop her wingeing about how long my wheel change is taking.  

Okay, as we are old school, does anyone know where I can find a clip that holds my spanners together tightly. Tried google and ebay, had one of these for years, it was superb for holding them neatly together, forgive the poor sketch but something like tbis, it was sprung and they just slotted in.

Thanks 

212547EF-E805-46F8-B09D-35C74147725B.thumb.jpeg.c2a3c2b783ecb0b4e2f081986e5844d7.jpeg

Hi all

I bought a DEWALT branded socket set from Costco some years ago which is truly excellent. £99 inc vat. The tools are all heavy black shiny chrome, so tend to put up with being left in a boot better than shiny chrome which is a bit more porus. I keep it all in a tall semi soft case behind the drivers seat seat - I also have a cheapo tool kit in a plastic box with screwdrivers, pliers cutters etc plus another small bag of the dozen or so things I regularly use. This one stays in the car all the time, the other two I swap in and out depending on how long an event, how tough it’s likely to be or the length of time we are away from base from.

We took 3 VC on a jaunt round Europe about 6 months ago and only used the ‘popular’ bag, but sods law is that when you don’t carry it, you need it.

regards

Tony 

Digging deep into the memory here, (Dodgy at my time of life) but I do seem to remember

years ago in TR Action, and article about a rally or touring , I think TR4, inthat there was a drop down shelf horizontal when the boot was open that carried a whole raft of tools and spares.

Anyone else remember this?

John.

I recall on the forum someone mentioning carrying a spare coil? due to its location at the side of the engine?

The there was a post on the sea e subject of an engine bay with a second coil mounted as a spare?

Is the coil overheating issue very common?

John, was the shelf mounted to the boot lid frame? sounds a great idea..

Nigel H

18 minutes ago, NigelH said:

I recall on the forum someone mentioning carrying a spare coil? due to its location at the side of the engine?

The there was a post on the sea e subject of an engine bay with a second coil mounted as a spare?

Is the coil overheating issue very common?

John, was the shelf mounted to the boot lid frame? sounds a great idea..

Nigel H

You'll see a second coil fitted in a lot of rally cars, somewhere close to the original so it just involves swapping over the leads. It makes sense because if you're going to carry a spare at all, it may as well be somewhere easy to do a hot swap and limit time lost. (I have one bolted into the inner N/S wheel arch.)

[EDIT] And yes, coil problems are common although I think that's largely due to the cheap/rubbish spares on the market nowadays.

On the same princicple, on some rally cars there will be a spare fan belt taped into a useful pre-position - I think from memory that would be a good idea on original TRs, although mine has a small belt conversion so it's easy to get a new belt into position from scratch.

Nigel

Edited by Bleednipple

Hi Nigel,

I certainly have the 'Spare' mounted on the inner wing, if you have  a problem, you can change or eliminate the coil in seconds.

Simple plate bolted on the horn mount and with two captive nuts under for the coil bracket. As has been said, ht leads swoppable in seconds.583662489_coilmount006x2.jpg.8d18631e589007fffc6b8a8f921465e6.jpg

402984941_coilmount007x2.jpg.fbd203480a06931a0cf3a5e8965b6797.jpg

John.

5 hours ago, Lebro said:

Or like this:

20191208_093345.thumb.jpg.68e756f0cc633fa69e536224c9d82a19.jpg

Bob.

Snap bob

fitted at same time as e ignition 

ABF741C2-2559-4795-B72E-0E18357458D5.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Hamish said:

Fitted at same time as e ignition 

Bolted on to the mechanical fuel pump blanking plate (using a bracket)?