Good evening 

In the process if replacing the crash pad wich I bought last year, polyrethan foam filled , and to my surprise it has here and there small termite look alike holes...

Is this a common problem? Should i try to recover with vinyl? 

Thnk you

154220.jpg

9 hours ago, tr6tuga said:

Good evening 

In the process if replacing the crash pad wich I bought last year, polyrethan foam filled , and to my surprise it has here and there small termite look alike holes...

Is this a common problem? Should i try to recover with vinyl? 

Thnk you

There are two types of backing - Vinyl foam (white) or Polyurethane (black).  The latter, in my opinion, is not good.

You could try and cover it with vinyl or leather but I fear that it may well decompose and just simply get worse.

Bite the bullet and get a new Vinyl one for TRShop. 

When fitting do ensure that the white foam is recessed to take the cage nuts from the metal dash attachment.

Roger

2 hours ago, RogerH said:

When fitting do ensure that the white foam is recessed to take the cage nuts from the metal dash attachment.

Roger

Not applicable to TR6 they have captive studs instead.

Stuart.

Yep, that is a standard problem, I went through this a year ago. I bought the Poly Black pad and was so disappointed in the quality, plus the contoures were not good I sent it back and got a refund. I then went to another supplier and for £30-40 more I got the vinyl covered foam and it looks great.

Rgds Phil 

• 2 weeks later...

Just a update.

I had the top dash laying around in the office for the last year unoppend pack, whaiting for a chance to install it

With the lockdown had the opportunity to have a lgp

Contact Rimmers and told them about the manufacturing defect wich they acknowledge but refused a return or a at least accept some sort of refund/exange on the fact that warrants had expired...and sugested me to buy the more espensive vinyl top crashpad, no discount

For the last 10 years I ve being a regular customer spending many £ k...but apparently CRM for them is just something a mkt consultor mentioned in the last company meeting that they did not fully understood!

Peace of advice, check asap all items from Rimmers and return if found faulty, specially if the ongoing restoration takes time.

Rimmers sells defective parts being well awere

That was the last time I bought from them, prefer pay more and have a real CRM 

And I have a unsuitable top crash pad :(@ *&^/$$%

Thank you for you time

Hi,

Take it on the chin. 

However send a letter to head office explaining that you are a long standing customer AND that Rimmers knew of the fault yet still sold the item.

Warranty shouldn't be an issue - it is not fit for purpose.

Explain that you will never buy another item from them and will be informing all your friends in the TR world.

They will probably do nothing as they done nothing to improve a known defect and really don;t give a s*&t.

Roger

10 hours ago, tr6tuga said:

Just a update.

I had the top dash laying around in the office for the last year unoppend pack, whaiting for a chance to install it

Contact Rimmers and told them about the manufacturing defect wich they acknowledge but refused a return or a at least accept some sort of refund/exange on the fact that warrants had expired...and sugested me to buy the more espensive vinyl top crashpad, no discount

For the last 10 years I ve being a regular customer spending many £ k...but apparently CRM for them is just something a mkt consultor mentioned in the last company meeting that they did not fully understood!

Peace of advice, check asap all items from Rimmers and return if found faulty, specially if the ongoing restoration takes time.

Thank you for you time

I've spent thousands with Rimmer over the past 12 months and had a small issue this week and they have absolutely zero interest in trying to help and generally pretty flippant with responses. Account closed.

Been my experience over the last few years with Rimmer's after spending a lot of cash initially as I knew no better. I do now and avoid buying anything from them think they are too big to care.

I'd suggest everyone boycotting Rimmers where ever possible then they might think about where they buy from and the quality of what they offer rather than squeezing the bottom line which would be more if they actually sold parts that fitted, worked and lasted.

Andy

I had a dash top like that and recovered it with leather from Skinners - looks great. Just to follow up the customer service comments - it took me around 4 years to apply the Skinner leather (old cars, eh?) and when I started I realised there was an issue. Contacted them and they replaced no problem. John told me they had once had a customer (for a Healey) contact them saying they had sent the wrong spec to him - this was nearly 20 years after he it was supplied! Skinners checked the original order, found that they had indeed sent the wrong one and replaced with pleasure. THAT is proper customer service!

Apparently there is only one supplier of the original style dash tops. The other parts dealers either buy from them or get them recovered.

The cheaper repros seem to have disappeared from the market.

In defence of Rimmer’s I bought a pair of the repro door tops for 6. Went for the cheaper ones. Took me a few weeks before fitting them and discovered one had a defect (someone has clearly slipped with a knife trimming off the excess from the moulding. Rang them and they asked if I could email an image of the faulty part. Emailed back to say that it seemed to be a one off defect so they would send me another. 

Replacement with me within 48 hours.

8 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi,

Take it on the chin. 

However send a letter to head office explaining that you are a long standing customer AND that Rimmers knew of the fault yet still sold the item.

Warranty shouldn't be an issue - it is not fit for purpose.

Explain that you will never buy another item from them and will be informing all your friends in the TR world.

They will probably do nothing as they done nothing to improve a known defect and really don;t give a s*&t.

Roger

Roger, isn't about time some of these suppliers are black listed by the Register. Years ago I complained about the Register being too pally pally with some of these suppliers and that went down like a lead balloon. But I have say that it was aimed at Moss and they have certainly got a lot better in recent years! As it comes down to the fact ' How many times do you want to do the same job'? and get VFM!

Bruce.

Hi Bruce,

it is a problem.

The TRR would not want to annoy a cash stream.   I know what the likes of committee would say if i queried Rimmers service

Rimmers do sell both qualities of pad. Why do people buy the cheapest and then do not look when it turns up.

I'm no fan of Rimmers but where do we start.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Just had mine recovered through TRGB. Recovering was half the price of a replacement and was excellent. Would definitely recommend. There was one downside in that having had both crash pads also recovered at the same time the wooden dash was too big to fit. the extra thickness of the vinyl was just too much. a quick whip around the dash with the power sander worked a treat and all now fits snuggly.

Allan

• 1 year later...
On 5/30/2020 at 12:03 AM, tr6tuga said:

Just a update.

Thank you for you time

Rimmers just did the same to me. They sent the wrong part (different from the part number on the invoice) - It was a long time before I noticed as it was all boxed up, but they refused to correct their mistake. I will never go there again.