A milestone day today

A milestone day today: many of you may recall I had a stroke in late June last year, and because I also had a number of absence seizures, the last on 2 July, I voluntarily surrendered my driving licence to the DVLA for a year.

Well, although navigating the reapplication process on the DVLA website and completing the various forms has been a nightmare, the DVLA don’t make it easy! The DV1 form has been completed, along with the correct (!!) medical questionnaire, supporting medical evidence and a supporting letter from my employer (Army HQ Andover) the tracked package was posted off yesterday and received by the DVLA today, so all being well the DVLA will expedite my reapplication and I will be driving my TRs from 2 July,  and riding my motorbikes a few weeks later; I promised Bev I wouldn’t jump straight back on the bikes until I regained at least some modicum of roadcraft in the cars first……

The next Milestone will be returning to work, hopefully in June or July.

Fingers crossed!

Cheers, Andrew

All the very best of luck with it all George.

Driving has to the most part been avoiding us all recently,  but managed a TR run this week.

And you are Right about the Roadcraft !

Cheers Conrad. 

Well done Andrew. That’s a great milestone. :D

Excellent news Andrew, must feel like a massive step forward. Take it steady and enjoy some relative freedom when the licence arrives.

All the best

Iain

Well done George, fingers crossed for you. Stay safe and keep cool B)

Thanks folks, I've tried to remain optimistic throughout this time, but will still keep my finger's crossed and yes, it's will have been a very-very long year. 

Stef, I had no choice as my doctor and consultant recommended I shouldn't drive for one year as I had a number of seizures and once they did that I am morally bound (and probably legally) to voluntarily surrender my licence which was the lesser of the two evils as having it revoked by the DVLA would have been even harder to get back. 

Roll on the 2 July! 

Cheers, Andrew (aka 'George')

Very good news Andrew, I’ve been in that boat too as you know.

Take tour time with starting at work, it is common that people who have had a stroke over-estimate their possibilities. How do I know?

All the best,
Waldi

Thanks again everyone, I appreciate all the supportive comments and can't wait to get behind the wheels again!  Oh, and the handlebars in due course.

Pete, surprisingly the insurance companies have been very helpful, I must admit I thought they might prove difficult, but I just had to notify them that I had surrendered my licence (for how long and why) - I now just need to notify them when I get it back. I kept my policies in force as the named drivers (and rider for my bikes) occasionally kept the wheels turning for me. 

Cheers, Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith