Hi Folks.

I have a 74 Tr6 with a J type overdrive which works on 2nd gear as well as 3rd+4th would anybody be able to tell me why this is so, I thought it was only the A type which worked on 2nd gear.

Thanks

Michael

You might have a A type and you don’t know it.

Really I ain’t got a clue, but like you I thought only J type worked in 3 & 4

22 hours ago, michael pridham said:

Hi Folks.

I have a 74 Tr6 with a J type overdrive which works on 2nd gear as well as 3rd+4th would anybody be able to tell me why this is so, I thought it was only the A type which worked on 2nd gear.

Thanks

Michael

I have a 1973 TR6 with a J Type Over Drive and it has 2nd gear operation in overdrive. When my engine was rebuilt the gearbox plus O/D where sent to ORS for overhaul. I asked about J type units can they be converted to operate on 2nd? They said it is easy to do on yours as it was a very early 73 model as BL were still using up their old gear box extensions. All they had to do was to undo the blanking plug and screw in another switch! Otherwise a bit of drilling and tapping is required on the later ones?

Bruce.

I converted mine to operate in 2nd gear as well. I had a blanking plug, which I simply unscrewed, and screwed in a micro-switch. It’s a 1974 CF. It seems fine. I did this more than 10 years ago, though I am aware that the ability to handle high power in the J is suspect.

Regards,

Austin

My J-Type overdrive has a 2nd gear switch fitted, but not wired into the circuit, which is correct for my car.

So what are the benefits of having 2nd gear overdrive enabled, and what are the "pitfalls" or dangers, like some practical experience from users here before wiring it to the circuit?

Colin.

1 hour ago, c.hydes said:

My J-Type overdrive has a 2nd gear switch fitted, but not wired into the circuit, which is correct for my car.

So what are the benefits of having 2nd gear overdrive enabled, and what are the "pitfalls" or dangers, like some practical experience from users here before wiring it to the circuit?

Colin.

Not wishing to upset some but not a good idea it will slip if pushed hard, that's why Triumph and others did not do it.

1 hour ago, c.hydes said:

Colin.

There aren’t really any pitfalls. It’s a very useful gear, as the TR gearbox has quite a gap between 2nd and 3rd. If you engage/disengage at a steady, light throttle, it’s pretty smooth. 

16 hours ago, ntc said:

Not wishing to upset some but not a good idea it will slip if pushed hard, that's why Triumph and others did not do it.

The J type was designed to slip on engagement as the Volvo boys did not like the wham bam engagement of the A type. Also Volvo were GKN's biggest customer for O/D, so they called the tune! The J type was also less likely to cause warranty claims on the driveline.

Bruce.

2 hours ago, astontr6 said:

The J type was designed to slip on engagement as the Volvo boys did not like the wham bam engagement of the A type. Also Volvo were GKN's biggest customer for O/D, so they called the tune! The J type was also less likely to cause warranty claims on the driveline.

Bruce.

Bruce

The change to J type was based on cost, as you point out Volvo wanted a cheaper alternate and smaller in size.