I agree, seatbelts are a must. But I would go for the reel-type shoulder type belt. Much safer in the event of a shunt or emergency braking, protecting the head from getting cracked open on impact.

Edit: I have not followed my own advice. I removed the reel-type fitted to my car, which meant that you don't have the clasps getting in the way, and replaced with 4-point harness. Much safer.

Edited by DavidBee
Changes to my reply

AFIK Lap belts alone arent legal in this country, however in the US they were pretty much standard for many years.

Stuart.

Hi there,

Please allow to click myself  into this post. I am in the process of evaluating the retrofit of seat belt Options as well.

I will of course opt for a 3 Point solution but am a little concerned about the installation of the top Fixing Point.

For a flexible System, I think it would further be rather difficult to align the roll to this top Fixing Point.

It would be very helpul if some pictures of Installation examples could be posted.

Happy for any input!

Regards

Oliver

Hi Nobbyc,

Thanks a lot for the pirctures. I am just a Little confused as it seems that you only have a diagonal shoulder belt. No waistbelt ?

Cheers

Oliver

12 hours ago, Nobbyc said:

This setup fine for me as belts do not rub neck or slide off shoulder. Use 75 x 50 x 3mm backing plates with nut tack welded in centre. No complaints from passenger either.

seat belts1.jpg

seat elts2.jpg

What seats are those?

Peter W

I wish you had not posted that picture. I have Miata seats in the TR6 and they are very comfortable. I rebuilt the TR3 seats with new springs etc and while they look correct for car shows they are dreadful for anything but a short trip.

I also fitted 3 point belts however and they work fine with the standard TR3 seats.

Stan

7 hours ago, foster461 said:

I wish you had not posted that picture. I have Miata seats in the TR6 and they are very comfortable. I rebuilt the TR3 seats with new springs etc and while they look correct for car shows they are dreadful for anything but a short trip.

I also fitted 3 point belts however and they work fine with the standard TR3 seats.

Stan

Hi Stan,

I have a pair of refurbished standard TR3a seats stored in my loft. Like you I rebuilt them and then found them uncomfortable. I now have a pair of MX5 series 2 seats. Much better. 

Rgds Ian

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...