Horn Boss setup with Moto lita steering wheel

Following Stuart's earlier suggestion I decided to check continuity to earth at intervals down the column from the top splines down, across the doughnut and the u/j to the chassis. And also from key points in between straight to the chassis. Every test (down the column or straight to earth) confirmed continuity. As a novice at this sort of thing, this suggests that the earthing of the horn is not the cause of the original problem and implies there isn't a problem with the earth link wires across the doughnut and u/j (despite the link across the u/j looking a bit ragged!). 

I am scratching my head a bit now (and possibly questioning myself too much) so it would be helpful to get a second opinion on my view that the earth is OK despite the horn only working when I earth it directly from the 'push' rather than through the column.

Thanks

Dave