Which car to start in TR championship for youngster?

Suggestions on what Triumph a youngster might enjoy in the sprint & hillclimb championship.

One of my lads expressed a vague interest the other day (anything to get him off computer gaming).

He doesn't like my TR or the Hurricane(not that it is elligible) - aparently a 'proper' car has to have a roof. I showed him a picture of a Dolly Sprint and got an encouraging response. Suspect a Sprint will be out of our budget. Maybe a Toledo or Dolly 1850 ?

Have to be RWD or I'll never be able to drive it (never got the hang of FWD). Just an idle Sunday morning thought. Any suggestions?

Jerry

Would a GT6 be more appealing, or even a Vitesse?  Both  with roofs,  TR-alike engines, will take the 2.5L no probs, and eligible for the championship.

My son started with a Spitfire (no roof, so I won't suggest that) and was voted to have the Coolest Car in the School Car Park! 

Edited by john.r.davies

Jerry

just let him have his own car and go for an acclaim. FWD I know but he’ll be used to that if he is of an age ... Be racing for a grand. 

I loved them in the ‘80’s.  

it would be a class 1a car drive to the event all standard  find an CD as I think the tyres were slightly bigger. strong twin carb engine.

or to meet the whole of your criteria how about a TR7

10 minutes ago, jerrytr5 said:

Can you still find an Acclaim? Know nothing about them - were they Honda engined?

Jerry

You might struggle to find one now, theres a few here but the ads are old https://www.autovisual.com/en/used-cars/Triumph/Acclaim

and surprisingly some in Italy! https://www.reezocar.com/en/occasion/triumph+acclaim.html

Stuart.

10 hours ago, jerrytr5 said:

Can you still find an Acclaim? Know nothing about them - were they Honda engined?

Jerry

Yes Honda engine 1335cc about 90bhp (?) ( would still be allowed in the champs as that how they left the factory  

they are not common on the market but do come up. 

Hate to admit it but the Acclaim was the most reliable car ever to bear the Triumph badge, thanks to the Honda drive train. I recall many years ago one was purchased for £50 from a scrap yard in Nottingham, given an oil and filter change and successfully driven 2000 miles in a weekend on the Club Triumph RBRR. You could still see the marks of the chains on the sills where it had been lifted to the top of a pile of cars.

My 4A suffered a lunched engine on Bodmin Moor during the 1982 event when an oil cooler hose failed. It had been mis-routed by a BL main dealer when they fitted a new steering rack a week earlier. The first entrants to come across our stranded car were the crew of an Acclaim CD and they gave my co-driver and I a lift to the nearest telephone (no mobiles!). I remember being very impressed by the quietness, comfort and roominess of the car and the sprightly performance four-up. One of our members once created pretty well the best Acclaim to be found, complete with video screens in the front seat head rests to keep the kids in the back amused on journeys.

Tim

IMGP0013.JPG

We did the 2006 RBRR in Kevin's Acclaim, as the Acclaimers wearing these tour T-shirts,  and singing "We will drive 2000 miles ..."

672326714_TheAcclaimers5.thumb.jpg.3826e72b628d8ab02b7f49ff5a83adcc.jpg

With the single exception of a broken down pipe from a badly refilled ditch that contractors had left across the road  (we repaired the pipe with a baked bean tin and left the ditch to the local corporation) the car drove well  and was lying first at one point.     BUt we weren't racing, were we?

Edited by john.r.davies

I tried to buy an Acclaim last year (or was it earlier this?) at an Auction in Poole specifically for the Championship. 

The money I was willing to spend was surpassed by a huge amount for an immaculate low mileage car. Oh well!

Dan Brown, one the the track day regulars at Castle Combe and a very decent driver, has had two.  In the first Acclaim he fitted a B18C4 (170hp 1.8 DOHC VTEC) engine to it but says "it's far from a bolt in job".

He currently has a blue one with a similar engine but smaller capacity (B16) with a giant turbo strapped to it. Here's a link to a video so you can see what it's about: 

He says he thinks an Acclaim has potential but may struggle with standard power, and the front suspension doesn't give for much confidence!