Ordering from outside of UK to to EU

Hi

For those who live outside of UK. do you have any thoughts on this?

I ordered some not breakable parts from Moss, they came in an insane sized box and way too much packing, also cost was almost as much as part.  This is generally an issue for me as today for example I needed a metal shaft, so not breakable, weight of about  80g and post was £15...  item was £18 . . .  also it was tracked which I am not caring about.

Should I try to give this feedback or any other thoughts?  It (the part) could have gone in a jiffy bag for £2 . . . 

Regards from Denmark

Richard

Edited by AarhusTr6
12 minutes ago, AarhusTr6 said:

Hi

I ordered some not breakable parts from Moss, they came in an insane sized box and way too much packing, also cost was almost as much as part.  This is generally an issue for me as today for example I needed a metal shaft, so not breakable, weight of about  80g and post was £15...  item was £18 . . .  also it was tracked which I am not caring about.

Should I try to give this feedback or any other thoughts?  It (the part) could have gone in a jiffy bag for £2 . . . 

Regards from Denmark

Richard

Yes

Yes  sometimes is a nonsense and heavy foot print, delivery cost also a issue.

I usually try to pack more items per delivery,  but not allways possible. 

Suppliers should have a more clean and lean approach starting for adressing questions like, how many packing delivery cases ? How much cost of packing vs items dimension/fragility, a custumer feedbacks with some kind of rewards points...

We can all contribute for a greener planet :)

Regards from Porto 

Hi Richard,

I agree, so wait with ordering until I have sufficient. 20 pounds or so from Moos to Holland, and yes, often very large boxes, but always properly protected.

I assume part of this is a fee for packing the items.

Waldi

I've had the same problem with Rimmers- they sent me a MU diaphragm a few years ago by courier where the courier's cost was about the same as the diaphragm's.

I've found it far cheaper to ask for things to be sent by Royal Mail from the UK to Australia, even though it doesn't have the sophisticated tracking systems that international couriers have.

Hi,

I find that most suppliers are horrendously expensive, I find a lot of the time it seems they are making up the cost of the parts  on the P+P., especially Ebay.  There are private sellers also that seem to  hike up the P+P cost to make more money, though not all.   i agree  a Jiffy bag could suffice. a lot of the time..

I too have paid more for the P+P  to Spain, that the item cost if it is something I need asap.  The Post Office used to be quite quick but now packages take 10 + days .

Dave from a not so sunny Spain

Edited by dave-lewis

I get frustrated with this too, but we also run an e-commerce business.

We send quite a few parcels everyday through UPS.

if we were to send the odd small  light one through Royal Mail, we would have to drive to the Post Office, queue up outside due to Social Distancing and this has probably taken about 30 minutes.

Nigel

I never order less than 200 pounds from Moss etc. so then it is approx.. 10% of the total cost.

To my surprise some suppliers from the UK only charge like 7 pounds for a small package, so it is possible.

And I have send a couple of bits to the UK, each around 12 euro’s (Little over 10 pounds) for a double shoebox size with DPD. But when these parts were returned, that doubled. Not sure what the reason is.

Waldi

As a resident of Ireland I am lucky to be able to avail of several options.

The retailers, which is usually the quickest but most expensive.

And there are several mail forwarding companies that only charge a small fee (ideal for Ebay free postage items) and can be collected locally or from the post office.

Maybe it's because we are such close neighbours that these services are available to us, but it may be worth checking out if this type of service is available from where ever you live.

Oh, and I've had a parcel refused because it was unnecessarily large, and only because it was handy for the retailer to use it (didn't turn out so handy in the end!).

8 hours ago, Waldi said:

Hi Richard,

I agree, so wait with ordering until I have sufficient. 20 pounds or so from Moos to Holland, and yes, often very large boxes, but always properly protected.

I assume part of this is a fee for packing the items.

Waldi

Why dont you try buying from Moss Paris, maybe cheaper delivery across mainland Europe.

Stuart.

4 hours ago, Nigel A said:

I get frustrated with this too, but we also run an e-commerce business.

We send quite a few parcels everyday through UPS.

if we were to send the odd small  light one through Royal Mail, we would have to drive to the Post Office, queue up outside due to Social Distancing and this has probably taken about 30 minutes.

Nigel

Sorry if I sounded inconsiderate...

9 hours ago, stuart said:

Why dont you try buying from Moss Paris, maybe cheaper delivery across mainland Europe.

Stuart.

Hi Stuart,

Thanks,
to be honest I never even considered that! Call it a blind spot. I will look into this as I need some “last bits and pieces to finish my restoration” (when did I think that before;)).

Cheers,
Waldi

The exchange rate between Moss UK and Moss FR is ridiculously high, also many of the suppliers don't want to use RM for some reason, or they have to have a tracking system, so they can prove the parcel has been received, many suppliers have been caught out by dishonest receivers claiming parts not delivered.

Jiffy bags just don't seem to exist any more with so many suppliers.

John

Try getting stuff to the other side of the globe... :/

Our TR register does a bulk purchase every 6 months.  At times there are differences between Rimmers & Moss as well for delivery but I completely agree it'd be very nice to be offered options that weren't greater than the actual part

I agree that if you only ordering a small number of parts then the postage element is far too high. One option here in Belgium is to go to one of the local suppliers (there are a number of outlets that provide spare parts for Triumphs, MGs and other popular classics). They do tend to be quite expensive but if it is only for a small part you might find it cheaper than the combined cost of p&p and spare part.

One excellent alternative was Rimmer's offer of delivering spare parts to the Classic Car Show in Antwerp for free! Unfortunately, that only happens once a year (naturally cancelled this year) but worth bearing in mind. Don't know whether they attend shows a bit closer to Denmark but worth looking into for the future.

I like the idea of clubbing together with other members of your local TR Club (or similar) so the P&P becomes a smaller element. The trouble is that you usually want just one part and you want it now and that means paying a price that doesn't necessarily reflect the true cost. I ordered some clamps from Holland a week ago. The postage element is one third of the total cost and I have no idea when the delivery will arrive - best indication is 'during week 21' which I think starts on Wednesday! Postage might be cheaper but you end up waiting a lot longer. At least with Rimmers, Moss and other UK suppliers it usually arrives within two or three days.

I would let them have the feedback but I suspect because the sender is responsible for the item until its delivered I suspect they will always go belt and braces especially as the customer is paying for it.

As an aside in order to avoid queueing at the Post Office for some stamps I ordered them on line. I got 'stung' £4 for postage...............about 3 days latter I received a plastic packing bag the size of a pillowcase....honestly in side of which was an A4 envelope, not any old A4 envelope mind you, an A4 envelope with a cardboard stiffener, the same as you would receive a photo or a Heritage certificate in. Inside of which was an A5 jiffy bag, on opening the jiffy bag out fell 2 books of first class stamps :D happy days ...oh and the delivery courier used to deliver 2 books of stamps ..........................UPS! .........guess thats why I got charged £4 postage 

I have just been ordering some main and idle jets,  8 in all from Webcon in uk,  on their web page their economy mail was listed at £27, having spoken to them its now £8!

Their excuse was that RM can be slow at the moment.

John

I have bought alot of stuff from Moss (UK) for my rebuild and have been very happy with deliveries to France. ( Also impressed by quality of packaging. The box the windscreen arrived in was "big".) Not cheap I know but tracked and have always received in a reasonable time. I assume they have some calculations on weight of item vs shipping cost as I have been told before by Moss that the weight of the items ordered puts the delivery into a higher packaging catagory so "....would I like to order some other stuff to make up the weight?"

I also asked if postage would be cheaper from the Paris branch but they were unable to tell me. My assumption is that the Paris branch may only carry limited stock and so have to procure through Moss UK with any exchange issues and no doubt a further delay in onward delivery. I may be wrong but this is my assumption.

I recently ordered some components from another well known supplier and after two weeks they have still not arrived and the parcel was untracked and I now have to wait another couple of weeks before the delivery is "written off" and I hope to receive a replacement. I will look into this postage cost here for an untracked package and this may feature in future orders. I agree with John L that businesses use the tracked option as policy to ensure delivery.

John

On 5/17/2020 at 9:41 AM, AarhusTr6 said:

Hi

Regards from Denmark

Richard

Richard

I will not order from moss’s website as their shipping costs are horrendous. If you ring up the London branch and order over the phone they will normally send small parts by Royal Mail for a very reasonable price. I always find trshop London has the lowest international shipping. Last time I tried moss Paris their prices were much higher than moss uk

cheers

Alan

I also don't bother ordering from Moss due their exorbitant shipping costs.  Although Rimmers might not be quite so favoured, a lot of their products are the same and they generally offer several shipping options including Royal mail, which is very reasonably priced.

Cheers

Gavin