Brake and clutch pipes

Took the car out today and on my return noticed some fluid leaking from the clutch master cylinder. Going to order a new master and a backup slave. I also enquired about a replacement pipe from the master cylinder to the flexible pipe and almost fell off my chair when I was told it was £34. Thought it would be more convenient. I will be replacing the brake lines at some point so I thought I might as well buy the pipework and make my own. Can anyone confirm the sizes of the pipes? I think the clutch pipe is slight larger at a 1/4”.

Thanks

What car are we talking here?

TBH I would suggest that you would be cheaper in the long run buying a full set from Automec. TR Shop does them at a reasonable price and bear in mind you get all pipes required. £72.00 for a full set TR2 -4a. each pipe marked with it's location.

link here: https://www.trshop.co.uk/special.html

Edited by Rodbr

Jason - are your clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder original girling parts? If so, you would be well advised to get them rebuilt by someone like Past Parts Ltd in Bury ST Edmunds  - not cheap compared to repros but should last as good as the originals. I f they are repros, then a) thats probably why it's leaking b) new repros may very well suffer the same fate within a fairly short space of time.

If your parts are repros or you don't want your car off the road whilst you get your OE ones refurbed, I may be able to help you out- email me if of interest

Cheers Rich

Thanks Rich, I’ll check later. Good point, I have the new ones on their way, I would have thrown the old ones. I’ll send it for reconditioning if it is. 

Thanks

Edited by Jase

The engine bay metal clutch hydraulic pipe rarely corrodes, I wouldn't rush to replace it... Brake lines, make your own...

Hydraulic cylinders, buy rebuild kits... Some replacement parts are made of cheese.

I’m guessing this is the larger more expensive master cylinder:

IMG_8329.JPG.e2abc8f2681bc88bfc935525e3b5f77f.JPG

Think I will just go for repair kits now, have replaced them in my cars before. What do you clean the cylinders with? 

IMG_8315.thumb.JPG.2e99e6e12adc3dca44d7652e7dc7bea9.JPG

Edited by Jase
5 hours ago, Jase said:

I’m guessing this is the larger more expensive master cylinder:

IMG_8329.JPG.e2abc8f2681bc88bfc935525e3b5f77f.JPG

Think I will just go for repair kits now, have replaced them in my cars before. What do you clean the cylinders with? 

IMG_8315.thumb.JPG.2e99e6e12adc3dca44d7652e7dc7bea9.JPG

That clutch master is 3/4" bore so it uses a Girling SP1967 repair kit. (Moss identify as GRK1027, the Unipart part number) - As you have shewn its size is moulded on the side of the cylinder.  <<  https://www.burtonpower.com/girling-master-cylinder-repair-kit-0-750-sp1967.html >>

The brake master can be either 3/4"  or the more common  0.7" bore  The kit for 0.7 bore cylinder is Girling SP2102 (Moss identify as 18G8986, the MG pt no)  Your brake master cyl looks quite 'new' compared to the clutch m/c  <<  https://www.burtonpower.com/girling-master-cylinder-repair-kit-0-700-sp2102.html >>

As stated above clean out the cylinder with methylated spirits or suitable brake cleaner.  Re-assemble using the correct brake hydraulic 'grease' which is usually supplied with the seal kit.

Cheers

Peter W

Thanks guys, have done a few of these on my Spitfire but was wondering about the outside of the cylinder.

Appreciate the quick replies.

now to order some spare diaphragms for the carbs

B575B74D-B5D5-462B-A854-5178F24AE665.jpeg.092a3cb9a11e5b00a1021ac10eb0053f.jpeg

Master cylinder all repaired, not as quick as I thought :) don't think the seals have ever been changed. All cleaned up and bled right through. Slave seems fine at the moment, will keep an eye on that but have some spare seals and fluid in the car just incase.

• 2 months later...

Just an update, master cylinder working fine but the brake fluid has started to discolour, I did clean all of the old stuff out. I have seen a slight drop in fluid level so rather than wait I'm going to replace the seals in the slave cylinder later. Anything to be aware of? Just a simple unbolt and replace or will there be anything sinister waiting for me :) 

Hmm, I was surprised to see the banjo bolt on the clutch MC. On my car the pipe threads directly into the MC via a threaded union (no banjo). Thinking mine was not correct, I checked the Stanpart catalogue, and found that RHD cars had the banjo bolt, but LHD cars did not. Also the LHD pipe config isn’t even shown on the AD plate. Could that have been a last minute change for the US market?

Jim