Power Assisted Steering

My Birthday has come early this year!!

My wife has treated me to Power Assisted Steering ands the kit has just arrived.

Really looking forward to installing it but my wife insists I complete a few jobs first - there’s always a sting in the tail!

033F6DBD-E651-4E4D-A007-6FA91814D1F2.jpeg

Edited by Nigel A
2 hours ago, Nigel A said:

My Birthday has come early this year!!

My wife has treated me to Power Assisted Steering ands the kit has just arrived.

Really looking forward to installing it but my wife insists I complete a few jobs first - there’s always a sting in the tail!

033F6DBD-E651-4E4D-A007-6FA91814D1F2.jpeg

Nigel, would you get Aydee to insist that Roger does a few things around our house before he does anymore work our TR4A , six weeks and counting.

After much deliberation regarding Electric PAS - see my EPAS post topic - I have just bought one too. Whilst will not be fitted for a long while, looking at the kit I'm impressed with the quality.

This afternoon (after putting up shelves and coat hooks) I stripped everything out. For once I didn’t have any problems- even the crank pulley bolt and track rod ends came out without any problems.

Is this too good to be true?

Nigel

Hi Nigel,

I do not want to tamper your joy, but normally my issues start when installing new parts. Just take it step by step.

Cheers,

Waldi

Thanks Waldi,

Hopefully as this is a tried and tested product over many years it will be plain sailing.

How is Holland at the moment, for the last 30 years we have made an annual pilgrimage to Holland staying at Camping vliegenbos just outside of Amsterdam and would love to visit soon.

Nigel

Hi Richard

I’m sure we have made the right decision- the kit has such excellent reviews what could go wrong?

perhaps we should have a separate category at the 2021 International - Power assister TRs for the Oldies!

Nigel

Hi Nigel,
we are “opening up” in small steps. we have not had the restrictions the people in the UK have seen, but we have to keep minimum distance, group gatherings not allowed, no sportclubs, theatre, football matches etc. But going for a hike has been possible all the time. Many stores, like DIY ones were open also and have made record turnovers. Where possible, people are working from home. No traffic jam here, and many refineries are running at reduced or minimum throughput. Restaurants and bars are still closed, but hairdressers and schools have started again this week, respecting pre-cautions off course. Our government believes (have no evidence of the contrary) children do not infect adults, FWIW. But the situation is off course monitored continuously. 

Hospitals are seeing less patients on IC’s for a couple of weeks in a row, which is much needed for the great people working there. 

Stay safe and enjoy installing the PAS!

Waldi

Hi Waldi

Great news regarding Holland, it’s really great to hear something positive about other countries. Most of our news is cantered on the UK and at the moment is mainly negative

We are so looking forward to visiting soon.

Nigel.

Not too much done as still catching up on some household jobs!

Work came to a halt as well because I discovered the water pump had been leaking.

Collected a new one from Moss this afternoon so will crack on tomorrow.

09556588-5208-4DD6-8830-09BF64C2EDC5.jpeg

2 steps forward and 1 step back at the moment.

I have twin SU’s on a saloon manifold and throttle linkage.

The float chamber on the rear carb has always  been very close to the steering column. 

With the new steering column and UJ’s of course everything hits as the kit was designed for fuel injection cars.

Moss of course is closed until Tuesday so can’t get the necessary parts to space out the carbs and have had to redo the throttle linkage brackets.

Took the opportunity to strip clean and paint the throttle mechanism.

Then found the paint was bubbling under the carbs, so have had to rub this down and repaint. Will investigate leak later.

Hopefully I’m back on track!

Nigel

Finally making some progress. Carbs spaced out properly and throttle linkage redone. Had to make some new brackets and a few other modifications but now it looks and works much better than the bodge up I did many years ago.

Having spare time means I can actually do things properly rather than rushing.

A couple of weeks ago I decided to sort through all my Fathers old tools which had been gathering dust for many years and came across some odd sized taps and dies.

I needed a new Shorter throttle linkage and Burlen wanted approx £30 including postage. Decided to see if I could shorten my old one and couldn’t believe it when I discovered one of my Fathers ancient dies was the right thread!

All the major tasks are now done and it is just a case of connecting hoses and reinstalling radiator etc so wife permitting should be back on the road for the weekend.

In the instructions Alasdair covered fitting the front pump mount abs described it fiddly but doable!! - Must have spent around 4 hours doing this. Just hope the neighbours didn’t hear all the swearing!

Nigel

67DB4246-1C45-4A6E-8241-F7066139D6D7.jpeg

Nigel,

Looking at the CCD website for the kit details it appears that it comes with a new crank damper with double pulley to drive the hydraulic pump, new front tubular cross member, presumably to provide extra clearance to the thicker damper, a new steering rack and new steering column to suit that rack. Is that all correct?

Also, from the photos both on the CCD website and yours above, it appears that the standard fan extension from the damper will not clear the hydraulic ram on the new rack. Is that correct?

I will be interested to hear your views of the system when you have completed the installation and start driving with it.

Dave McD