I am new to everything and what I know I can write on a pin head --  So TR6 1971 about March -- Just got this from america LH drive - No plates obvioulsy docs look in order to get it plated -- SO from I can research I could get a three letter / three number --- number plate ????   obviously would have to buy it first then apply to DVLA ???   is that kind of in the right direction ?? anyone -- I dont know anybody cos I just joined and I just got this crate of rust -- sorry I mean my TR6 !.  Any pointers gratefully received -- Andrew Perkins BSC ( Bronze Swimming Certificate ) !

All very simple. Assuming you have a NOVA certificate saying your car is imported and you have paid import duties, you just get an MOT* and apply to the DVLA for a UK plate. You will be gven an age related plate based on your circa March 1971 age. Then once it is all registered, you simply buy and transfer the plate of your choice via one of the many number plate companies or an individual if you know one. As long as your new number does not make the car appear newer, you are all OK.

*. If your do not have a UK registration the MoT centre will use the chassis number. Some seem not to know this, but that's what you do.

Cool - I think its going to rather a while to say the least before it ever gets an MOT  -- LOL   -- Thanks for that info brilliant -- How can I find the ORIGINAL NUMBER WHICH I GUess was a J reg its must have had one before it got shipped off to the sates ?  Cheers Andi P

It would have been exported without being UK registered. The DVLA will issue an age related plate with proof of the date of registration in the US on your paperwork. 

Gareth

I’m about to do this for a us import motorbike.

i have the NOVA cert

domi need to get an MOT for a bike that’s more than 40 years old?

steve

5 hours ago, mtrehy said:

You don't need MOT for TR6 or anything over 40 years old.

You do if it’s an import and you want to register it. It has to be certified as roadworthy prior to being issued an age related number. 

You do if it’s an import and you want to register it. It has to be certified as roadworthy prior to being issued an age related number. 

Just as you need to, if you want to get the number off your TR6, it has to be MOTd even though you don't actually need a MOT to drive it on the road..........................

Regards

Bill 

3 hours ago, Bill944T said:

Just as you need to, if you want to get the number off your TR6, it has to be MOTd even though you don't actually need a MOT to drive it on the road..........................

Regards

Bill 

No you don't. Done 2 US import TR6's recently.

22 minutes ago, mtrehy said:

Interesting

i would like to register my bike but it won’t be fit gor an mot for a while, whats the procedure?

Nova was taken care of by the company I used for shipping. I sent the completed V55/5, copy of the US title, bill of sale, copy of my driving licence and the payment. Got V5 on normal age related plate within a couple of weeks. No mot, no insurance and no inspection.

This was my experience and exactly the same on 2 occasions in past 12 months.

4 hours ago, Bill944T said:

Regards

Bill 

Yes you do!

Perhaps you're only reading my reply as pertaining to imports. If you want to get a number off any car, even one that doesn't need a MOT and even if currently registered and on the road (Ie Historic), to get the number plate off it, you have to get it MOTd. Otherwise everyone would be dragging an old wrecked chassis out of the garden and applying to get the "nice" number plate off it onto retention....................

In 1978 I transferred a cherished plate (my initials) originally issued in 1956 to an ambulance to my TR6. In those days it was easy as you just needed the "buff log book" and the fact the ambulance was being used as a hen coup didn't matter then.

When I applied to get that plate off the TR6 in 1989, DVLA didn't reallocate the original K reg plate but instead another age related K reg and put my initials one on retention.

I laid the TR6 up. and four years ago decided that I wanted to get the reallocated plate off it to sell and to ask if I could get the original K plate put back on the TR6 and get it as Historic. It had to be MOTd though as the rules had obviously been tightened up since 1978! To be honest I didn't hold out much hope but credit to DVLA, once MOTd and taxed, they reallocated the original plate, gave the TR6 Historic class and put the age related plate on retention in a few weeks with no fuss. I sold that one for £505 after auction fees recently.

Regards

Bill 

9 hours ago, mtrehy said:

Nova was taken care of by the company I used for shipping. I sent the completed V55/5, copy of the US title, bill of sale, copy of my driving licence and the payment. Got V5 on normal age related plate within a couple of weeks. No mot, no insurance and no inspection.

Thanks, i’ll give that a try !

11 hours ago, Steves_TR6 said:

Thanks, i’ll give that a try !

20 hours ago, mtrehy said:

Steve,

Have you registered the bike on the Nova database? In theory that should be done within 14 days of taking delivery of the imported bike at risk of a fine if not done. I did the novaregistration myself and otherwise my experience of registration was just like mtrehy says. All worked very smoothly.

Hth

Sean

7 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Steve,

Have you registered the bike on the Nova database? In theory that should be done within 14 days of taking delivery of the imported bike at risk of a fine if not done. I did the novaregistration myself and otherwise my experience of registration was just like mtrehy says. All worked very smoothly.

Hth

Sean

Thanks Sean, the importer did the Nova registration.

i sent all the paperwork off today so time will tell !

steve

Andrew

To register the car you will need to make a V5/55  application to swansea ,for an age related plate , the car will also need to be roadworthy and require an MOT , and a lot more, if you want help drop me a mail at the below

v765@tr-register.co.uk

graham

2 hours ago, tr graham said:

Andrew

To register the car you will need to make a V5/55  application to swansea ,for an age related plate , the car will also need to be roadworthy and require an MOT , and a lot more, if you want help drop me a mail at the below

v765@tr-register.co.uk

graham

I'm not sure why people keep saying that these imports need MOT when myself and many others who have imported recently and have first hand experience of the know they don't.

It would appear that sometimes you can get an imported car registered without an MOT and I agree that the Guidelines!! Indeed do not mention MOT , however there are many more cases of applications being returned stating vehicles need MOT before re submission, 

graham

No that is not the case  ,I have no idea why they return V5/55 applications asking for the vehicle to have an MOT ,I  have spoken with the federation of historic vehicles, who do have some dialogue with swansea , and no answer was forthcoming , there are many Anomalies when dealing with Swansea on both the V5/55 and V765 applications and what is acceptable at one desk today , does not mean that will be acceptable at another tomorrow, I have had applications accepted with a V5 issued and received the same week , and identical applications disappeared for weeks and then been subject to independent inspections by SGS. Only for weeks to go by and nothing , Until you chase them . I think it is the case of the Guidelines being interpreted differently by different desks.

graham

The form V55/5 asks for a Certificate of Conformity, if I have understood the V55/5 Notes for Completion. Where and how do you obtain the CoC?

Thanks

Graham